giving up with my scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyrefyter2008

guess im not smart enough for my whistler trx-2, ive tried NUMEROUS TIMES to put stuff in it that i wanna listen to for my area (chemung county ny) and pretty much get stuck.

waste of the $513.00 i spent on it........shouldve just kept the radio shack one i have and call it good.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
What are you trying to put into it? Maybe these PDF files will help...

Attachments

• USING EZ SCAN TO IMPORT TRUNKED SYSTEMS.pdf
    733.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Programming TRX-1.pdf
    533.4 KB · Views: 52

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Chemung appears to be mostly analog according to the database, with a couple of P25, 1 DMR, 1LTR and the power company on a P25 trunked. Open the EZ Scan and go to the Library Import choice. On the left side of the screen where it says Select Type, choose either county or zip code. Make your other selections in that list and then click Import. Connect the scanner with the USB cable to the computer. Go to the top left of EZ Scan and select Scanner/SD Card and then Prepare Scanner Memory/SD Card for Use. In the box that open, make sure there are check marks in all three boxes on the left side. Click on Format on the right side of the and another box will open Confirm you want to continue and the process will start. It will take a few minutes. When it is done, you should find your frequencies n scan list numbers 151-181. The ones with data sold be selected and start scanning when you press the scan button.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Do some research before you cash out. Try looking up instructional videos on YouTube. Lots of people post step-by-step videos of how to set up their radios. I'll just bet there are videos on the TRX-2. I did that when I owned the TRX-1 and it helped me so much. EZ Scan is quirky, but once you learn it you will be amazed at how easy it will be for you. Don't give up. Get determined and just do it!

fyrefyter2008

well..........took off on youtube and google searches for programming stuff for my trx-2 and happy to say my scanner now picks up erway ambulance :) :) :)

this scanner is a whole new breed of scanner than what im used to working with (BIG TIME!!!). im so used to just hitting program, inputting frequencies, alpha tagging it, saving it.........not the whole EZ scan, inputting stuff on an SD card, importing stuff, ETC.

i often wonder if maybe i shouldve gotten the homepatrol, or just used the money i spent on this scanner and used it for model trains (one of my other hobbies)

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Great news! Once you get going you won't want to stop until you master it. I talk from experience. I am in my mid-60s, was new to digital scanning and all of the software. I bought a BCD436HP and spent a few weeks with it and was so frustrated I sent it back to Scanner Master. Took a break. Then got mad at myself for quitting and bought 3 digital scanners - a TRX-1, BCD536HP, and a Whistler WS-1065 - and was determined to master them all at once. Google, YouTube, Radio Reference, and a good mentor and I whupped it. So glad I did. So, as I have said before many times, if this old dog can do it, anybody can. You are well on your way, my friend!

6079smithw

What TailGator911 said! I bought a 536HP a few years back when P25 was starting to take off after years of
analog units. After a solid week of frustration I was ready to program it with a plasma cutter, then I remembered
my late father's advice: "If you gotta eat an Elephant, you need to do it one bite at a time!"

You're 100% correct when you say it's an entirely different method of programming and the factory manuals
are, IMHO, not written for beginners as a rule. I pored over the Forums here on RR and countless YouTube videos
and found information in basic terms starting from "go"... tried a bit at a time; finally was able to write a list of local airport freqs
that actually worked! As your confidence builds, so does your skill... don't be afraid to ask questions! After a month or so I was
able to program the unit for the entire state of NV (I was a OTR driver, now pretty much retired) with a GPS control.

I surprised the hell out of myself with what I was able to learn (I'm 73 now BTW) and you will too when you get the hang of it.
Time and patience, just like your model train layouts or in my case, RC aircraft.

Like previous posters said, the learning curve starts out steep but gets flatter with time.
You'll begin to realize how versatile that TRX is the more you work with it.

Good luck and keep us posted as you progress!

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
So I guess this means I'm not going to be able to make a lowball offer for the scanner...? :)

WB9YBM

guess im not smart enough for my whistler trx-2, ive tried NUMEROUS TIMES to put stuff in it that i wanna listen to for my area (chemung county ny) and pretty much get stuck.

waste of the $513.00 i spent on it........shouldve just kept the radio shack one i have and call it good.

I know what you mean--I miss the days when we could just take a radio out of the box and use it right away! (Now it seems like it takes a rocket scientist to operate all that modern wiz-bang gadgetry!) :)

DJ11DLN

Glad to hear you got it going. I jumped back in several years back with a RS Pro-18 which programs basically the same way your TRX does...after several years away from scanning and never having messed with a trunking scanner or anything digital. I tell this story periodically to prove that even an old fart like me can figure it out, thanks largely to the kind people on this site. All of these newer-generation radios have a learning curve. Never hesitate to ask questions if you get stuck and the Easier-to-Reads aren't forthcoming about something.

6079smithw

you can on my old one lol.......radioshack pro-106. Not sure what i wanna do with it though, might keep it and just program the hell out of it with railroad frequencies

Why not just keep it? According to the database it's nowhere near EOL for your area and it's a handheld with a battery pack.
Still a great backup/backyard/ tried-and-true-use-during-power-failure radio. Same reasons I still have my PRO-97 and 396T.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Why not just keep it? According to the database it's nowhere near EOL for your area and it's a handheld with a battery pack.
Still a great backup/backyard/ tried-and-true-use-during-power-failure radio. Same reasons I still have my PRO-97 and 396T.
Good idea. The 106 is also a better radio in terms of search capability than the TRX. I sniff a lot of stuff out with my TRX and the fact that it records everything, but when it comes to pure searching of the Spectrum, the PSR-500/PRO-106 can work circles around most other radios if you program them right.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
I'll give you $7.5o if you throw in the 106

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
well..........took off on youtube and google searches for programming stuff for my trx-2 and happy to say my scanner now picks up erway ambulance :) :) :)

this scanner is a whole new breed of scanner than what im used to working with (BIG TIME!!!). im so used to just hitting program, inputting frequencies, alpha tagging it, saving it.........not the whole EZ scan, inputting stuff on an SD card, importing stuff, ETC.

i often wonder if maybe i shouldve gotten the homepatrol, or just used the money i spent on this scanner and used it for model trains (one of my other hobbies)

Why not the best of both worlds....have your TRX-2 running in the background while working on your train layout. :)

n6hgg

Frequencies are stored as objects. Then you have to choose where they will be listened to in your scanner by checking boxes to put them in scanning lists. Then you decide to put the lists in sets of lists. At least one "scan set" must be enabled for it to scan at all. Then you can organize them into separate virtual scanners to load up if you want to do it that way. You have a machine there that can be 200 totally different scanners (200 v-scanners). It's all about organizing objects into lists of obects, sets of lists, and v-scanners with sets and lists. It is a VERY powerful surveillance device.

Last edited:

WB9YBM

Frequencies are stored as objects. Then you have to choose where they will be listened to in your scanner by checking boxes to put them in scanning lists. Then you decide to put the lists in sets of lists. Then you can organize them into separate virtual scanners to load up if you want to do it that way. You have a machine there that can be 200 totally different scanners (200 v-scanners). It's a VERY powerful surveillance device.

yeah, but if it won't do the dishes too, what's the point? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.