Glass mount antenna mast to NMO mount

DMJR318

Is it possible to use the mast (from the ProComm PC-SGM/BN glass mount antenna kit) on a NMO mount? Do they make anything for converting it?

Thank you!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The glass mount antennas are usually designed around 1/2 wave antennas. In the case of that glass mount scanner antenna, that's a complex thing.

Taking the whip off that and putting it on an NMO mount would be best done with a matching coil. Challenges would be:
Which matching coil? Usually they are designed for one band.
What is the whip diameter and will it match up with the 0.100 whip mounting cone that is on top of the NMO coil?

Usually those glass mount "30-1200MHz" scanner antennas aren't good at much other than one or two bands. If you already own the Procom antenna, and feel like blowing $50 on a Larsen NMO coil, you might have something that works well enough for what you want.

Or, you can get a professional antenna that's actually designed for VHF, UHF and 7/800MHz band and know that it'll work correctly. It's cheaper than buying a Larsen NMO coil on it's own

$39.95:
I'm running this same antenna on my work truck connected to a Harris XL-200 mobile radio on VHF, UHF and 800MHz work stuff. Works very well and is a very durable antenna. It's on top of a Ford F-350 4x4 service truck that's been up some overgrown site access roads and taken a real beating.

$36.95:
No spring in the base, so might want to be careful where you mount this on the vehicle, but this has been a really well respected mobile antenna in the scanner community for a very long time. VHF, UHF and 7/800MHz.

$55.95:
I've got this antenna mounted on my personal truck. Performs very well. Spring on the base, so just fine on top of a full size truck. I've probably put about 50,000 miles on that all over the western USA without any issues, even some off road, low parking garages, finding a few tree branches and some large bugs in Texas.

DMJR318

The glass mount antennas are usually designed around 1/2 wave antennas. In the case of that glass mount scanner antenna, that's a complex thing.

Taking the whip off that and putting it on an NMO mount would be best done with a matching coil. Challenges would be:
Which matching coil? Usually they are designed for one band.
What is the whip diameter and will it match up with the 0.100 whip mounting cone that is on top of the NMO coil?

Usually those glass mount "30-1200MHz" scanner antennas aren't good at much other than one or two bands. If you already own the Procom antenna, and feel like blowing $50 on a Larsen NMO coil, you might have something that works well enough for what you want.

Or, you can get a professional antenna that's actually designed for VHF, UHF and 7/800MHz band and know that it'll work correctly. It's cheaper than buying a Larsen NMO coil on it's own

$39.95:
I'm running this same antenna on my work truck connected to a Harris XL-200 mobile radio on VHF, UHF and 800MHz work stuff. Works very well and is a very durable antenna. It's on top of a Ford F-350 4x4 service truck that's been up some overgrown site access roads and taken a real beating.

$36.95:
No spring in the base, so might want to be careful where you mount this on the vehicle, but this has been a really well respected mobile antenna in the scanner community for a very long time. VHF, UHF and 7/800MHz.

$55.95:
I've got this antenna mounted on my personal truck. Performs very well. Spring on the base, so just fine on top of a full size truck. I've probably put about 50,000 miles on that all over the western USA without any issues, even some off road, low parking garages, finding a few tree branches and some large bugs in Texas.
Awesome - Thank you for the information. Since I only listen to the frequencies between 151.000 - 160.000 (maybe 450.000 and up at a later time) Which antenna would you choose?

As far as my mount - I am going with this mount (Third Brake Light Antenna Mount - 2019-2024 Ford Ranger) with the BNC connector.

Please let me know with any feedback.

Thank you

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As far as my mount - I am going with this mount (Third Brake Light Antenna Mount - 2019-2024 Ford Ranger) with the BNC connector.

I know ease of install is often on the top of most hobbyists list when it comes to antennas, but there's two issues to pay attention to with those mounts:

1. They put the antenna back on the very edge of the ground plane (roof) of the truck. That will result in a lopsided ground plane and make the antenna directional towards the rear of the truck. You might not care, but it's a lot of money to spend on a mount to have a compromise like that.

2. There's reports of those third brake light mounts leaking. I've heard it many times. Not sure if it's an installation error or just a design flaw.

I know many don't want to do any permanent modifications to their vehicle and drilling a hole in the roof. But a $359 mount is expensive and comes with some compromises. A good radio shop can do a properly installed NMO mount on the truck roof that will work better, look better (my opinion), never leak, and cost a whole lot less.

Your truck, your choice, just consider your options.

Awesome - Thank you for the information. Since I only listen to the frequencies between 151.000 - 160.000 (maybe 450.000 and up at a later time) Which antenna would you choose?

A simple 1/4 wave VHF antenna will work very well on those VHF frequencies, and will actually work pretty well on UHF, as a 1/4 wave VHF is also 3/4 wave on UHF. I've run those on dual band radio setups in the past and they work well. Plus the 1/4 wave VHF antenna is inexpensive and pretty low profile.

$13.95:

$19.95:

Personally, I'd go with the Larsen tri-band I linked to in the earlier post. That'll let you use the capability of your scanner, and they aren't that much more expensive.

DMJR318

I know ease of install is often on the top of most hobbyists list when it comes to antennas, but there's two issues to pay attention to with those mounts:

1. They put the antenna back on the very edge of the ground plane (roof) of the truck. That will result in a lopsided ground plane and make the antenna directional towards the rear of the truck. You might not care, but it's a lot of money to spend on a mount to have a compromise like that.

2. There's reports of those third brake light mounts leaking. I've heard it many times. Not sure if it's an installation error or just a design flaw.

I know many don't want to do any permanent modifications to their vehicle and drilling a hole in the roof. But a $359 mount is expensive and comes with some compromises. A good radio shop can do a properly installed NMO mount on the truck roof that will work better, look better (my opinion), never leak, and cost a whole lot less.

Your truck, your choice, just consider your options.

A simple 1/4 wave VHF antenna will work very well on those VHF frequencies, and will actually work pretty well on UHF, as a 1/4 wave VHF is also 3/4 wave on UHF. I've run those on dual band radio setups in the past and they work well. Plus the 1/4 wave VHF antenna is inexpensive and pretty low profile.

$13.95:

$19.95:

Personally, I'd go with the Larsen tri-band I linked to in the earlier post. That'll let you use the capability of your scanner, and they aren't that much more expensive.
I have consulted with a shop that does radio installations, they are hesitant because of all of the electronics that runs along the roof panel.

Yes - I have that fear about the 3rd brake light mount, but I have heard good and bad about it.

I was also looking at the NMO fender mount, but I am concerned about the chafing paint. If I went that route - which side is better (drivers or passenger)

What about the small windshield mount dipole antennas?

I figured now I have it hardwired; I want to do the antenna situation correct.

Thank you!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have consulted with a shop that does radio installations, they are hesitant because of all of the electronics that runs along the roof panel.

I'd try another shop. I've never personally done an install in the new Rangers, but the town I live in has several with UHF antennas on them. I've done installs on the recent model Chevy Colorados and they are pretty easy to do.

Yes - I have that fear about the 3rd brake light mount, but I have heard good and bad about it.

I've heard good and bad. I know there are others on here that have them. My only concern is the offset ground plane. Leaking can be addressed with careful install and maybe a bit of silicone. To be fair, I had an old work truck where the center mount brake light leaked, even without an antenna mount. The price is what really gets me. The NMO mount is cheap ~$20. The rest of the cost is insane.

I was also looking at the NMO fender mount, but I am concerned about the chafing paint. If I went that route - which side is better (drivers or passenger)

Yeah, that can be an issue. There's a number of things you have to watch out for with those.
-You need to use an NMO mount that is properly sealed on the underside since it'll be exposed to rain, road salts, etc.
-Still the offset ground plane issue.
-It's now down below cab level, so you've got some shadowing.

As for which side, either one, but I'd look closely at the passenger side just to avoid having it in direct line of sight of the driver. But consider cable routing, etc.

What about the small windshield mount dipole antennas?

Window tinting is going to be a concern. It's going to probably be directional. It's going to be closer to noise sources inside the vehicle. Great solution if you are an undercover cop, but other than that, I'd pass. Plus, they are pretty big if you want them to work on VHF well.

Stico may have some good options, including antennas that could replace your AM/FM/Satellite/LTE/GPS antenna on the roof. Those get expensive, but they look pretty close to stock. We've got a few Ford Utility Interceptors with them and it's hard to tell it's not stock.

Just beware, StiCo ain't cheap:

I figured now I have it hardwired; I want to do the antenna situation correct.

Thank you!

You've got options, which is good. These larger American vehicles are pretty easy to install in. Getting a good antenna outside the vehicle is really going to improve performance, no matter what you choose.

If you think you ever may go the ham radio, GMRS or other radio service route, consider the permanent NMO mount on the roof a good investment. Radio performance really improves when you have a good ground plane and the antenna is up and in the clear. After doing my first personal truck NMO mount 30+ years ago, I was hooked. The performance really made it worth it. With one exception, every vehicle my wife and I have owned has had a permanent mount antenna on the roof, and I've never regretted it. Never impacted resale value, and never leaked.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am a DPW worker and I want to do this right.

I'd try another radio shop then. It's not hard to install permanent mount NMO's in these new trucks. Finding a shop that has done it before will make this easier. For just an NMO install, routing the cable and crimping on the connector, it's probably a $100 job total. If I wasn't on the opposite side of the continent, I'd probably offer to do it for you just for the cost of parts.

Antennas like a suitable ground plane under them. You want the ground plane to be at least 1/4 wavelength in each direction under the antenna base. For 150MHz, that's 18 inches. Putting the antenna 18 inches in from any roof edge will give it what it wants. Dead center of the roof (or as close as you can get) is ideal.

Is this your personal truck, or a work truck?
Maybe talk to the local PD or Fire and see who they use. Some large cities/counties have their own radio shops, or at least a contract with a local shop to take care of their radios. At minimum, they can probably give you a good recommendation.

DMJR318

This is my personal truck. I have doing some research on how to use the factory grommets to snake coax cable through underside of the cab to inside and using a mag mount. My truck is small.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Mag mounts are always an option.

Paint damage is one concern, but the comfort level with that varies from person to person.
Routing cable is the other issue. If you put the mag mount in the center of the ground plane, you'll have a lot of coax loose that you need to contend with. It can flap around making a lot of noise. It can wear at the paint.

If you were transmitting, there can be some other challenges, but for scanner use, no real issue with that.

But, all options you have to try and see what works best.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
I was waiting for a mag mount being mentioned. I have used and with care they work fine. Mostly I used trunk lid antennas similar to

Again if mounted with care they do very little damage that can be touched up easily if needed but I never had to.
I would avoid cutting holes unless you will need opimal transmitting range since you will notice no real life difference on receive. I know I will get arguments from a technical measurement side, but the ears are what count. Avoid glass mounts..never had any luck.
As far as cable, at such short distances for receive, most any quality cable will be ok.
Best advice is do not spend a fortune, for receive you will not notice a difference between a $50 and a $200-300 mobile(I have had both). just get good quality.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What's your feeling about the RG 174 cable?

It's designed to be a small diameter jumper cable. It's got twice as much loss as RG-58, which is more commonly used in mobile installations. If what you want to listen to is a strong nearby source, then the extra loss probably won't be an issue.

On the other hand, if what you are trying to listen to is a weak signal, the extra loss of that cable won't be doing you any favors.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Best advice is do not spend a fortune, for receive you will not notice a difference between a $50 and a $200-300 mobile(I have had both). just get good quality.

When comparing a permanent NMO mount in the center of the vehicle roof to a magnetic mount in the same place, there's very little difference in performance, generally a small fraction of a Decibel. Not enough to be concerned with.

The issue with magnetic mounts is cable routing. Routing the cable through a door or window can result in eventual cable damage or water finding a path into the vehicle.

Roof damage depends on individual situations, maintenance and care.

Magnetic mounts are always an option. But longer term, the permanent NMO mount is less risky if damage is a concern, and looks more professional.