Glass Mount Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

zach88

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and using radio scanners in general so I am hoping someone may have some insight into my issue..
I have a BCT15X and have it installed in my car, I have also purchased a Tram 1199 glass mount antenna and have come to learn that it is not the greatest of antennas (should have known based on the price)
I am hoping someone here may have a better suggestion in regards to a glass mount antenna? I am kind of stuck on this style of antenna as i don't like the idea of a magnetic antenna with cords outside the car

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Glass mount antennas are at best.... a compromise. Having written that, I will say I have had a glass mount Tram 1199 on the last three cars I've owned. I've used BCT-8, BCT-15, and my current BCD536HP with the Tram 1199... and it works better than any other antenna short of drilling a hole or doing a trunk lip / hood lip mount. And I have a hole for my NMO mounted 2Meter / 70cm amateur radio antenna, and a hood lip mount for my quad band Diamond (10M / 6M / 2M / 70cm) antenna. So I have plenty to compare with. HOWEVER, I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty and I'm fairly certain there is not a high metal content in my windshield tinting over which the Tram 1199 is mounted. Some vehicles do have tinting at the top of the windshield that will impede the proper operation of a glass mount antenna. And I've looked for but not found a definitive list of which vehicles have high-metal content tinting. So you roll the dice with a glass mount. And that explains why you get various reports of "Works great" to "It's a crappy antenna".... assuming all the rest of your installation is OK (connectors, radio, etc.).
Can you move the glass mount antenna to the rear window where perhaps there is no tinting? Can you use a trunk / hood lip mount?

zach88

The glass mount is currently mounted in a rear side window of my GMC Terrain, there is a slight tint to all of the windows on the car with the exception of the front window, I have looked into a trunk mount but there isn't really any way to mount it nicely around the lift gate on my car and I find hood mounts to be a bit of an eye sore, I guess I will just have to live with the 1199 for now!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have one of the Tram glass-mount antennas, and it works pretty well. But I don't have any tint on the window it's mounted to.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
zach88- How are you determining that your glass mount antenna is not working to your satisfaction? What are you trying to receive (frequencies & distances)? What antenna have you compared it to that works better on the same radio in the same receiver location?

zach88

When comparing the glass mount antenna to the standard telescopic antenna that came with the bct15x, everything comes in much clearer, less broken up on the standard antenna, I have tried multiple cables with my glass mount antenna and have mounted the antenna in a few locations and none seem to make much of a difference

zach88

Most frequencies I am trying to receive are between 118 and 137Mhz

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
most GM factory tint is notorious for being RF opaque or translucent.

I would not use either a thru window mount, or a interior suction mount on a GM.

Consider a clip on type mount if you really want to avoid permanent installs, although honestly your best bet for that vehicle is going to be a permanent.

MAYBE a fender mount or lip mount for the hood would be a do-able option.

lmrtek

be sure the inside coupler is oriented properly

many glass antenna couplers are polarity sensitive

if its the opposite polarity, it will severely reduce capacitive coupling

Status
Not open for further replies.