Glendale PD on Simulcast G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
How far east are people picking up Glendale PD on simulcast G? Are you having the typical cut-outs that are common with simulcast? I haven't gotten within range to pick it up yet but am wondering what to expect.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
How far east are people picking up Glendale PD on simulcast G? Are you having the typical cut-outs that are common with simulcast? I haven't gotten within range to pick it up yet but am wondering what to expect.

It's the RWC so yeah, I'd expect it to cut in and out and sound pretty horrible unless you can limit the signal to just one tower.

That being said, depending on what type of scanner and antenna you are using, you might find yourself in luck. I have an old BC796 and my reception of the RWC ranges from piss poor to "forget it, I'm going to listen to DPS instead". Your mileage may vary. ;)

-AZ

rwier

I am near I-17 and Greenway. I hear both the Phx/PD on A: site and the Valley Fire/Rescue (K-Deck) on B: site extremely rock solid (rarely dropping a syllable). Also Peoria/PD on WTRP: site is giving me the same good reception. Glendale PD on G: site is basically not heard here (my results).

The above results are the same for ALL of my radios. I haven't gave up on Glendale yet, but I am about out of ideas.

Rob

Edit: "sound pretty horrible unless you can limit the signal to just one tower", AZScanner nailed it!

Last edited:

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
In my vehicle driving around the west side I can hear both Glendale PD & Peoria PD on G as well as White Tanks

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the answers. I have found that at my new location (47TH avenue & Bell Road) reception of simulcast G is almost non-existent. Every now and then a garbled bit of conversation comes through. Simulcast A is not as bad, but still pretty much garbage. Keep in mind, Glendale used to be crystal clear in all but the East valley.

As for the Phoenix metro area, most all major departments have switched to the simulcast system (except for MCSO & DPS & a few small West Valley PDs). The last listening that was interesting to me that I could still pick up (Glendale) is gone. It's sad because scanning in Phoenix used to be great.

Well that's pretty much it for me, I'm done with scanning, it was fun while it lasted. Just sold my scanners and I'm out of the game until one of these manufacturers decides to put out a scanner capable of simulcast reception. Yeah, I know that will mean a $1000+ scanner, and I would be OK with that, because it is the only way I will be back into the hobby. If a police radio can do it, then a scanner can do it, it's a matter of money, and a matter a large enough number of scanner people needing such a unit.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Well that's pretty much it for me, I'm done with scanning, it was fun while it lasted. Just sold my scanners and I'm out of the game until one of these manufacturers decides to put out a scanner capable of simulcast reception. Yeah, I know that will mean a $1000+ scanner, and I would be OK with that, because it is the only way I will be back into the hobby. If a police radio can do it, then a scanner can do it, it's a matter of money, and a matter a large enough number of scanner people needing such a unit.

What scanners were you using? I'm curious.

-AZ

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
My scanner WAS a PSR-800....the last one, which I sold. Recently I started having that itch again, and came across a dirt cheap Pro-106 and got it up and running, to find that at my home location I could now pick up Simulcast G fairly well. Was it the radio? Well I have found the 106 to pick up weaker P25 stuff than the 800 ever did, but I believe a new site has come on line. I am leaning towards the police station on west union hills (59th ave just west I believe). I will have to do some testing.

By the way, same exact antenna used to test both the 800 and the 106. I can tell the 106 also does a much better job picking up MCSO white tanks from the exact same spot in my bedroom. It does appear it may be better for P25 systems. I KNOW it beats the heck out of the the Uniden radios, which I have tested side by side many times (all of them).

Simulcast A on RWC is about 65-75%, which means it's "tolerable" depending on my mood. At least I have Glendale PD back again, at least the main dispatch channels. Everything else is encrypted now...sigh.....

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I think, but am not positive, that Glendale's ch 1 and 4 can also be heard on Simulcast B. Try putting in those 2 talkgroups on B, and let us know.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I gave up on my scanner and downloaded the police scanner ap to my iphone.....great reception......think i will sell the scanner....

Sad to hear, but I undersand. Actually the "great reception" is what the guy who is creating that internet feed has. He is probably near a site if you are hearing Glendale PD clearly. What STINKS about listening to an internet feed is that you have no control over it. If you are listening to Phoenix for example, there are SO MANY talk groups going at once, that if you do hear something interesting, as soon as the scanner moves on you probably won't hear the rest of the call. You can't make it pause after all.

Scanners are still best if you can make them work.

As far as the Glendale Police station being another site, it isn't, I checked. I cannot identify ANY other site besides the one near 83rd avenue and Peoria (just south a bit). So that site really gets out for being a 60' tower, that's all I can figure. It does appear this is the ONLY site for Simulcast G, which means at this point, it is not a Simulcast at all.

wlmr

Not the only tower.

Take a look at the last post of the previous Glendale PD thread.

Glendale PD (Multi-page thread 1 2)
http://forums.radioreference.com/1767252-post68.html

I noted that there were more than one site listed with the FCC. Look up any of the control channels and you'll see 2 call signs. Look up the call signs and you'll see they're licensed at several locations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.