Glens Falls PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MB

Feed Provider
I am hearing Glens Falls PD on Ticonderoga PDs frequency almost 75 miles north of Glens Falls on:

155.655 PL 110.9

I notice Glens Falls is using a new repeater with an output of:

155.6625 PL 110.9

Its hard to believe that I am picking them up off frequency so far away! They have an emmision designation of 11K2F3E which I believe is narrow band. Correct?

I wonder if they are transmitting wide band FM on a narrow band channel and causing all kinds of interference for Ticonderoga PD?

Any opinions?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Well if Ti PD is still wideband, then they could get interference from GFPD, because GFPD is less than 1 wideband channel away. However, this is not GFPD's fault - they are operating narrowband on a narrowband emission designator (according to their license - reality could be different). The probable solution would be for TiPD to narrowband their operations. One of them could change PL tones...but that would not alleviate any desense issues.

If you are hearing GFPD on the TiPD frequency, check your radio/scanner and see if the channel is programmed for narrowband FM. If it is not, then you are hearing TiPD because GFPD's new frequency sits within the Ti PD's wideband channel.

I just put that frequency in my scanner, set to narrow FM without a tone and I hear distorted Rensselaer County sheriff's dispatch...because I'm listening partly on their wideband channel (which is the same as Ti PD). It's just the nature of this narrow band transition right now.

I checked the ULS, GFPD is licensed for 50 watts on Ridge Street under WQJY643 at 45m antenna height (building mounted).

Last edited:

MB

Feed Provider
TI PD is still wideband. I changed my TI PD frequency setting to NFM and I am still picking up Glens Falls on TIs channel. It seems like Glens Falls PD is operating Wide band on their new narrow band channel.

I just noticed that TI PD, Washington County Jail and Rensselear County Sheriff's are all using the same frequency with the same PL tone! How did the FCC ever let this happen!

Well if Ti PD is still wideband, then they could get interference from GFPD, because GFPD is less than 1 wideband channel away. However, this is not GFPD's fault - they are operating narrowband on a narrowband emission designator (according to their license - reality could be different). The probable solution would be for TiPD to narrowband their operations. One of them could change PL tones...but that would not alleviate any desense issues.

If you are hearing GFPD on the TiPD frequency, check your radio/scanner and see if the channel is programmed for narrowband FM. If it is not, then you are hearing TiPD because GFPD's new frequency sits within the Ti PD's wideband channel.

I just put that frequency in my scanner, set to narrow FM without a tone and I hear distorted Rensselaer County sheriff's dispatch...because I'm listening partly on their wideband channel (which is the same as Ti PD). It's just the nature of this narrow band transition right now.

I checked the ULS, GFPD is licensed for 50 watts on Ridge Street under WQJY643 at 45m antenna height (building mounted).

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Rensselaer uses, I think, 156.7.
It's actually also the same frequency as NYSP Troop C. There are parts of Troop C where you can hear Rensselaer County (if set for carrier squelch).

VHF spectrum is a very tight resource. Frequency coordinators (who actually do most of the selection) do their best, but there is a limited amount of spectrum. Around here, we have a lot of very high transmitter sites which carry for a long distance. Nowadays, frequency selection is done with computer modeling (propagation models), but for frequencies that were assigned many years ago, that technology was not available and it was very basic formulas and rules-of-thumb.

Narrow banding will help this to some degree, by allowing some additional channels to become available. But they still need to be coordinated...there still must be distance seperation between adjacent channels. And it is only fully usable when that channel, as well as the adjacents, are narrow band.

PL selection is at the discretion of the agency....the FCC plays no part in that.

Remember too...scanner listeners are often way outside the intended service area of a channel. Coordination is done to accomodate use in the jurisdiction of the user.

NY DB Admin
Database Admin
There are issues...

I am hearing Glens Falls PD on Ticonderoga PDs frequency almost 75 miles north of Glens Falls on:

155.655 PL 110.9

I notice Glens Falls is using a new repeater with an output of:

155.6625 PL 110.9

Its hard to believe that I am picking them up off frequency so far away! They have an emmision designation of 11K2F3E which I believe is narrow band. Correct?

I wonder if they are transmitting wide band FM on a narrow band channel and causing all kinds of interference for Ticonderoga PD?

Any opinions?

There are issues none the less with GFPD's new repeater. They can also be heard load and clear on 155.715 in any ambulance, medic unit, etc that is in or around the Greater Glens Falls area. Try and figure that one out?

The Washington County Jail system is very low power and does not extend far outside of the facility.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
There are issues none the less with GFPD's new repeater. They can also be heard load and clear on 155.715 in any ambulance, medic unit, etc that is in or around the Greater Glens Falls area. Try and figure that one out?

Well assuming they are not patched to .715 somewhere.... it's probably transmitter or antenna problems.

Either they are:
Off Frequency
Deviation is WAY too high
Transmitter is splatterting spurs across the band (either due to a transmitter problem or an antenna/VSWR problem).

Regardless, they need a service shop to look at that...from the descriptions, it sounds like they are operating out of their emission mask.

MB

Feed Provider
Whats the best way to let them know?

Well assuming they are not patched to .715 somewhere.... it's probably transmitter or antenna problems.

Either they are:
Off Frequency
Deviation is WAY too high
Transmitter is splatterting spurs across the band (either due to a transmitter problem or an antenna/VSWR problem).

Regardless, they need a service shop to look at that...from the descriptions, it sounds like they are operating out of their emission mask.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
There are some spots in the Latham (high spots) where I can pick up the GFPD repeater on .6625 but the RCSO repeater on .655 is much louder and wipes them out if they both are on the air.

On a side note, on the old GFPD channel 155.010 do you hear Green Island PD now? They use a repeater on a high spot in Watervliet (they use a CTCSS tone of 71.9 Hz.).

Kevin

MB

Feed Provider
Who is the radio shop? Capital Digitronics, Adirondack Two Way, Wells ?? Have they been notifed just recently or just when they first went live?

I have not been able to hear them lately. Did the problem go away on 715?

It is NOT patched to 715 in any way.

The radio shop has been notified. The first day they went live and started bleeding over.

gralston73

Premium Subscriber
No, they still bleed over to frequencies spaced close to their repeater output. I finally got an outside antenna up during the nice stretch of weather we are having. GFPD comes through loud and clear on the Washington County MRD channel (155.745). They both share the same PL (110.9) so there's no way to get around it...

Status
Not open for further replies.