TRX-1: Global Attenuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanemls

The TRX1, overall, has been working well for me, but still learning how to use it proficiently alongside the EZ Scan app. Just wondering what exactly Global mode refers to, alongside the attenuation setting; I'm having trouble finding s good explanation from the manual. Thanks.

jim202

The TRX1, overall, has been working well for me, but still learning how to use it proficiently alongside the EZ Scan app. Just wondering what exactly Global mode refers to, alongside the attenuation setting; I'm having trouble finding s good explanation from the manual. Thanks.

I have not played with your model radio, so let me generalize some.

The attenuation that most of the scanners and some radios have today is to limit the signal strength coming into the receiver. Strong signals can cause different problems. In some cases it will cause an image signal to show up on a frequency that it really is not on. In P25 simulcast systems, it can help in the ability to decode the signal to help the receiver decode the information correctly. In some cases, you may have a strong signal off frequency that is swamping or overloading your receiver. Turning on the attenuator can help reduce this problem and help let you hear the signal your trying to receive.

Use of this feature in your radio may or may not help, but in most cases, it is a trial and see what happens. Each case of having a reception problem will be different. That is why I say use it and see if it helps.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Very nice description of attenuation Jim. But I'm guessing he was just referring to the "global" part of it. "Global" is referring to the fact it will attenuate ALL frequencies being scanned, as opposed to turning on attenuation for just one particular frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.