SDS100/SDS200: Global auto filter guidance needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I'm not a HAM and I have no idea what any of the filters do. (I'm also not messing with them) It would have been nice if Uniden had added a page or two listing the filters and describing the purpose and function of the various filters.
Quite hard to do as nobody's situation will be the same. It might be a pain but it is what it is. If you don't want to mess with them then you are missing out. Taking the approach of not messing with them might just as well sell the unit and move on.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Quite hard to do as nobody's situation will be the same. It might be a pain but it is what it is. If you don't want to mess with them then you are missing out. Taking the approach of not messing with them might just as well sell the unit and move on.

The SDS scanners are not "plug and play" devices. You set them up and begin down a the road of experimentation. If you are in a large metro area with high RF levels like I am, that road is a long road. At the end of that road, in an environment like mine, perfection is unlikely, but you should achieve acceptable results overall. The smaller your community, and the lower the ambient RF level, the shorter that road will be. There are no "rules of thumb" for the filter settings....usage will vary based on circumstances and your goals. Only you will find the correct answers, and only by experimenting.

There needs to be a sticky to this effect IMHO.

RonLittle

Thanks for the replies. Let me ask a little more pointed question. Do the filters affect the audio or the width of the received RF signal, as in rejecting adjacent frequencies? If I had some knowledge as to what to expect, I could listen for it.

I live in a small mountain city about 50 miles from a "big" city.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
<snip>

I live in a small mountain city about 50 miles from a "big" city.

You may not need the filters at all then. The SDS filters primarily help compensate for a receiver that is prone to being de-sensitized by strong radio signals. These signals can be on nearby frequencies or even “out of band” frequencies. If you don’t live anywhere near radio towers, including near cell towers, then you may find “Off” to be a good choice for your Global filter setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.