Global TV Scanner tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I have some questions about the scanner tapes aired by Global National yesterday. They are the audio of the suspected B.C. child abductor being captured in Southern Alberta near Crowsnest Pass. Does this fall under the radio act as it was re-broadcast on public airwaves in Canada? Today I can find no links to the feed on the Global web site. Maybe I didn't look well enough or they were removed. It was called emergency scanner audio.

Were the tapes from the Alberta PACS system, the BC VHF system or UHF ERT radio? I am inclined to believe most likely B.C. as it involved a Kelowna dog car and B.C. chopper. Did the RCMP give approval? I think not.

Were they in the public interest? It sure caught my attention even with the sub titles to making following the conversation easier.

Is there a RR or ScanBC feed for that area?

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Not sure of the exact circumstances with that story, but I know the RCMP did release a good portion of the arrest material (video, etc).

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Thanks that may be the case but I did find the audio here on RR. On the B.C. feeds (Tuesday September 13th go to East Kootenays and listen to the Elk Valley RCMP feed archives. The section 9:35 a.m. to 10:05 a.m. has the best material starting at about 25:50 seconds "Sgt Jackson (the dog man) are you on the air"? Then he says I got him and dogman calls for a transport car. The helicopter is calling it in from the air

It seems they may have been operating on a Simplex Tac channel until he's on the run and then you hear the action on B.C. F channel. After he's caught they key up the repeater to Cranbrook control. This guy is cagey enough to have used a scanner to elude police so they may have been taking no chances. I guess if he did have a scanner he could also hear the tacs if they weren't ENC.

So no problem as it's a U.S. based feed but was is proper for Global to use it on the air? I know this has been debated many times recently in Canaday when the police officer was killed in Ontario. Also in the West when the Edmonton Police feed was discussed.

But again despite anyone's opinion the audio feeds came through with very interesting audio that did not compromise the police operation. Some insight into a creepy child abduction that went on the news Canada wide.

I'll have to go back in the achives to when they get the 911 call from the abductor saying the kid was back in his house despite the police dragnet. A bit embarrasing.

Nap

AFAIK if they used their own scanner recordings without any blessing from RCMP, it would be against the Radiocommunication Act (which says it's legal to listen for your own use but not to pass or disclose the information to third parties).

Nap.

Status
Not open for further replies.