• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GM 300 - surveying radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordgrass

I recently purchased a Trimble Trimmark IIe radio (GM300). I am planning to use it for running RTK survey equipment. I do not have a scanner to determine what frequency the radio is running. anyone have a clue what the default UHF frequency is?

Attachments

• IIe.jpg
    IIe.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 304
  • IIe2.jpg
    IIe2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 300

cmdrwill

Radio probably is NOT Narrowband capable.

There is no "default frequency" but most were in the 464-465 range.

An FCC License IS Required.

I echo the concern for your RTK system. That GM300 is not narrowbandable, so, that's a problem. You also need to be coordinated and get a license. Most public sector RTK operations license several frequencies as they travel around their jurisdictions. That way they set up where they are not interfering with anyone. It would be the licensee's responsibility to monitor before transmitting.

You might be able to gut the GM300 out of it and replace it with an M1225. That might even be a direct plug-and-play replacement, but do get yourself a license.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I echo the concern for your RTK system. That GM300 is not narrowbandable, so, that's a problem. You also need to be coordinated and get a license. Most public sector RTK operations license several frequencies as they travel around their jurisdictions. That way they set up where they are not interfering with anyone. It would be the licensee's responsibility to monitor before transmitting.

You might be able to gut the GM300 out of it and replace it with an M1225. That might even be a direct plug-and-play replacement, but do get yourself a license.

I'm unfamiliar with the operation of RKT radios but there are wideband licenses available for some data only applications. However, the number of people who will willingly support the GM300 (or even the M1225 now) is becoming a smaller list everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

I'm unfamiliar with the operation of RKT radios but there are wideband licenses available for some data only applications. However, the number of people who will willingly support the GM300 (or even the M1225 now) is becoming a smaller list everyday.

nd5y

Most of the license for RTK units have the same common channels (in the US).

clbsquared

RTK is a differential correction for using GPS and/or GLONASS. The base station will receive it's location data from several satellites. The receiver on your equipment will receive that same data from the same satellites. Since the base station is a fixed location that never moves, it sends a correction differential via UHF or 800, 900 MHz every second. This increases your accuracy to within 1 inch. If you're moving the "base station" around, then you will need to set it up to do "quick survey" instead of "base station". You will also need to know what correction frequency is being used. RTK is incredibly accurate. I've never had it be off more than an inch in either direction. Whereas SF2 can be off by 3 to 5 feet and SF1 could be off by as much as 10. The following images show my set up and the frequencies used for the RTK base station and the correction frequency.
86d8be185fd50c7da7f2a6f5c1fb14be.jpg

612c6609d57e8252b8fcaa9a585a33c3.jpg

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

clbsquared

RTK is a differential correction for using GPS and/or GLONASS. The base station will receive it's location data from several satellites. The receiver on your equipment will receive that same data from the same satellites. Since the base station is a fixed location that never moves, it sends a correction differential via UHF or 800, 900 MHz every second. This increases your accuracy to within 1 inch. If you're moving the "base station" around, then you will need to set it up to do "quick survey" instead of "base station". You will also need to know what correction frequency is being used. RTK is incredibly accurate. I've never had it be off more than an inch in either direction. Whereas SF2 can be off by 3 to 5 feet and SF1 could be off by as much as 10. The following images show my set up and the frequencies used for the RTK base station and the correction frequency.

To answer your question, RTK can use UHF, 800 and 900 MHz. You will definitely need a license. And you may be better off finding the RSS and a programming cable for that radio in order to read it to find out how it's set up.

Project25_MASTR

Okay, I'm with you now. A couple of the local Deere shops have setups on 900 MHz in the region. Your pictures were very helpful.

The data is packetized and sent as bursts, not a continuous stream. It's also not fast enough to qualify for a wideband emission and there are no exemptions in Part 90 for RTK operations, so I'm pretty confident in recommending the replacement of the GM300.

petnrdx

There were narrowband GM300's.
So check the actual model number just to be sure before you just change it.
They were not all that common, but they are out there.
M44GMC00D1A for example would be narrow.
M44GMC20D1A would be wide.
I am pretty sure in all cases of NB GM300's that seventh digit is a 0 for NB and a 2 for WB.
Worth checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.