• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Gm-300

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmanoduarte

Hello all
I m tryng to program my Motorola GM-300,with no sucess at all !
Using a RIB-less serail 9 pins,I made a Disk for restart the PC in DOS,than i Load the RSS version B04.02.00,turned ON the radio,Configure the COM port,than i tryed to read the radio,and it keeps showing errors messages!,,,the PC can´t find the Radio,but,,,sometimes the radio beeps,soo mabe theres some contact,but not the rite one!...
can anyone help?
my rib-less don´t show anything about battery.Think dont have it!

its this one..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rib-less-Ribles...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

zz0468

QRT
Banned
What error messages are you getting? Ribless cables are notoriously unreliable for older radios. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. You're better off getting a real RIB and cable. Otherwise, all bets are off. There are some good RIB clones out there for around $30. But let's start with the error messages...

elmanoduarte

ok,,thnaks for answer!

well..when i press F2 for SERVICE,,than F2 again for Aligment it says.."radio must be conected and power up to continue with this proceder.PRESS F2 TO CONTINUE OR F10 TO EXIT" ..if i press F2 keeps doing the same,if i press F10 radio BEEPs one time,and it shows this massage..." SERIAL BUS ERROR: #2-NO ACKNOWLEDGE"
strange,,but the radio BEEps when this massage shows!

Josh

RIB-less cables sometimes will allow you to read and write to older radios, but they were more-or-less designed for the newer radios such as the CDM and perhaps MCS which run off of windows-based software.

Even if you can read and write a codeplug to a GM300, you will not be able to access the service menu. I don't know why, but it just won't work. As stated above, you will need to purchase a RIB and cable and go from there.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Don't mess with the alignment screen unless the radio is not working right and unless you have a service monitor. If you're just trying to program the radio, go to F9 and make sure that the com port is set to the correct one, then F6 to test it. If that works, then back out and go to F3 and then F2 to read the radio. Save that codeplug before you change anything on it.

elmanoduarte

...ok thanks.
no,,can´t do that steps,like i said,doing that show the error messages,,,and the radio BEEPs,,that´s what i think is strange,there is some comunication.
i saw in NET rss was made for slow PCs,,,have you tried with a Pentium 200 mhz for exemple ?
what i want its just program some HAM frequencyes,because i m HAM radio

Josh

It should work on any speed processor. I've used Gm300 RSS on computers with as high as 500Mhz with success. I have a 200Mhz pentium laptop I program the GM300 radios I still have now.

Don't let people scare you into thinking you need a dinosaur computer from the 80's to program every radio. It's simply not true. The GM300 is a radio from the mid-90's, some were made up and possibly into the new millennium. Just be sure you're booing into DOS (such as by pressing 'F8' or w/e while booting the computer and selecting "command prompt only".

But from what you've said about your RSS revision, perhaps you should look for one that doesn't being with a 'B', because that just sounds fishy.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
elmanoduarte said:
...ok thanks.
no,,can´t do that steps,like i said,doing that show the error messages,,,and the radio BEEPs,,that´s what i think is strange,there is some comunication.
i saw in NET rss was made for slow PCs,,,have you tried with a Pentium 200 mhz for exemple ?
what i want its just program some HAM frequencyes,because i m HAM radio

Ok... so, there is SOME communication between the PC and the radio. All that tells me is that you have selected the right com port. Are you sure you have the right RSS for that radio? As a previous poster mentioned, the B04.02.00 sounds fishy. It might be a lab version or FTR version. That should work, if that's all it is. The serial bus error could be an artifact of your ribless cable. Unless you use a real RIB, and the proper cable, there is no guarantee that this will work. RIBLESS CABLES ARE NOTORIOUS FOR NOT WORKING CORRECTLY ON OLDER RADIOS!

The other thing to consider is to consider is your desire for using Ham frequencies. You probably can't just enter the ham band frequencies into the radio. The RSS will either support the shift trick (look it up at batlabs) or you'll have to modify the RSS to accept the ham frequencies.

Bottom line opinion here is check for proper RSS version, and get a real RIB and cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.