• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GM300 Programming - Only 1 Mode Seen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost8546

Premium Subscriber
I have a GM300 M34GMC29C3 . I have never programmed one before. I got the whole package. And now when it reads the radio, it comes up with Mode 001 ? I can see a frequency set, but it seems thats the only channel ? I've looked up that this is a 16 channel radio. I dont understand where the channels are and what the mod settings are for ? I have everything but the software programming manual. Has anyone done this before ?

Chris

firefive76

Although I've never programmed one of these myself, I've been told that the "channels" are called modes on older Motorola radios. Newer models refer to them as personalities or channels. Look around and see if there is something (like a function key) to add modes and that should add your channels.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Look at the 'F'keys at the top of your key board, they correspond to the lables at the bottom of your screen. I am out and do not have access to my laptop

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You have to go into the Mode Utility and then add your new modes. Then you can go back and select each mode and modify as needed.

Ghost8546

Premium Subscriber
Now no RX sound

Thanks Rescue.. That was exactly it, I needed to add modules..

So now i'm able to program it, but i'm not reciving any sound. I can transmit OK, (practice on a GMRS unit).. But I can't hear the recieve. Is there some setting or something i'm missing ? Also this unit is not installed yet but sitting on a bench.. I dont see any place to plug in an external speaker.

Also, will this radio program outside the freq range like other units by using the shift key ?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Is there not a speaker on the front of the radio? If so, check the speaker connections. Does the RX LED illuminate when it is suppose to be receiving? Otherwise, it should have a 16 pin connector on the back of the radio that a speaker can be connected to.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Is there not a speaker on the front of the radio? If so, check the speaker connections. Does the RX LED illuminate when it is suppose to be receiving? Otherwise, it should have a 16 pin connector on the back of the radio that a speaker can be connected to.

I am not 100% on this for the GM's, but with the CDM radios, if an external speaker is used, the front panel speaker can optionally be disabled by unplugging the internal speaker. If that is the same for the GM300's, it may be worth a look-see.

It is also possible that the radio may be one of the 5 pin accessory port models, too.

16 or 5 pin, all the pin-outs are readily available on batlabs.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Look at the back of the radio, you will see either a 5 pin or 16 pin connecter. On the 16pin you have to bridge 2 of them off the top of my head I cannot remember which 2. With out that jumper there will be no sound out of the internal speaker. Check out batlabs for good info on the GM300

Ghost8546

Premium Subscriber
I have sound !

The jumpers worked ! Thanks everyone, I have the 16 pin connector and jumping 15 and 16 turned on my internal speaker..

Now my final question (well probably not final), but , how far outside of the frequency range can this be programmed. I want to use it for both Ham and PD work. It says the top limit is 470, can it goto 480's and work ? On the other side how low will it go ? I know hams have used it for 440, but does it cover all 440 ? And to get the outside band programing to work is there anything I need to set ??

Thanks
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.