• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMC Canyon radio/antenna dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

saddlebrookfd

Premium Subscriber
I have a 2019 GMC canyon I am having a decision dilemma. I would like to mount either a CDM 750 or 1250 for 46mhz range into the truck. The problem is the antenna, vertically off the fender I can only go 24" to 28" high because of needing to clear a garage door, 1960s cars were a lot smaller. Is there a way to do an angled or horizontal mount that would give me pretty good Tx and Rx or am I better putting a scanner in the vehicle for 46mhz (as well as others) and just run off a portable handset, such as a HT 750, for the few times I may need it?

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
There are various designs of this type of antenna. They can get quite expensive but from what I understand they do work well for transmit and receive. I don't know if they make them for low band VHF. shark disguised antenna 042320-01.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Low band isn't going to give you many options. There are no real "low profile" low band antennas that will work in your application. There's some odd low profile rail antennas (or there used to be), but you won't have enough room on your roof for that. Plus, it'll look ugly.

A whip with a spring at the base will do what you need and leave you with some amount of performance. Never had an issue with good commercial grade antennas flexing enough to go into a garage. As long as you mount it properly, you'll be fine.

saddlebrookfd

Premium Subscriber
Low band isn't going to give you many options. There are no real "low profile" low band antennas that will work in your application. There's some odd low profile rail antennas (or there used to be), but you won't have enough room on your roof for that. Plus, it'll look ugly.

A whip with a spring at the base will do what you need and leave you with some amount of performance. Never had an issue with good commercial grade antennas flexing enough to go into a garage. As long as you mount it properly, you'll be fine.
Thank you. I will look into those

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you feel like you need a spring at the base, you can add this: https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-spring-3877
But you may not need it. The Larsen whips are pretty flexible.

I've got a 27MHz version of that antenna, and I've owned it for going on 30 years now. It's been through a lot of parking garages on the roof of full size trucks, it has hit a lot of low tree branches. Still going strong after all these years.

Mounting an antenna horizontally when everyone else is using vertical polarization is going to greatly reduce performance.
The only "low profile" low band antennas I've ever seen were the rail antennas that were long metal structures designed for the roof tops of locomotives. They looked like this, but were MUCH longer: Sinclair - Railroad Train - 159.50-163.50 Transit Antenna No Cable/ Connector (ST221SF1SUFF1610) from Solid Signal <— that's a VHF high band railroad antenna, the ones I recall for low band were 4-5 feet long.

Other option was diplexers that went in line with the AM/FM antenna, but that won't be an option on the new Canyon/Colorados due to the low profile antennas on the roof.

I imagine if you really wanted to get creative you could due a tape antenna on the window, but you'll likely have issues with the window tinting, plus it'll pump a lot of RF into the cabin. Not something you want to do.

Really, the base loaded whip is going to be your best shot if you want anything resembling performance and will flex as you go through the garage.

saddlebrookfd

Premium Subscriber

saddlebrookfd

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking if I use one of these
In the back corner of the bed and your suggested antenna with the spring i could tie it down to my backrack If necessary.
Otherwise I could put an L bracket on one side of the backrack frame, and tie the tip of the antenna down unless I need to transmit. then I could untether it and let it be full height.
I'm assuming it would still receive decently well tied down and just need to extend it if I'm going to transmit

saddlebrookfd

Premium Subscriber
Well, then another option using that sort of mount would be to use a full size 1/4 wave whip. The Larsen will work, but I think I was assuming you were going for a hood channel mount.
Using the Larsen on the hood would still leave 10" bent on the ceiling of my garage at all times when parked :(

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Using the Larsen on the hood would still leave 10" bent on the ceiling of my garage at all times when parked :(

Yeah, but it won't hurt the antenna. Might leave some marks on the garage roof, though. My dad has a full size Chevy pickup 4x4. The 1/4 wave VHF whip on the roof hits the garage door opening. Each time he drives in or backs out, it hits. The antenna and mount have not suffered at all.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking if I use one of these
In the back corner of the bed and your suggested antenna with the spring i could tie it down to my backrack If necessary.
Otherwise I could put an L bracket on one side of the backrack frame, and tie the tip of the antenna down unless I need to transmit. then I could untether it and let it be full height.
I'm assuming it would still receive decently well tied down and just need to extend it if I'm going to transmit
I can attest Breedlove mounts are beasts. I have one with the UHF for my Diamond 7900a. Very well machined mount, that will out last the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.