GMRS and Digital in Ottawa...

PriorMike

I commute across the city for my job, and sometimes I'll turn on the GMRS/FRS quick key on my scanners just to hear what's out there...

What I've found is mostly digital noise. I've programmed in a few channels into my 325P2 to see if I can focus in on some stuff, but its hard when you're going 100-ish k's an hour.

Travelling through the Carp area I had a few minutes of conversation, sounded like construction, but that's it.

Funny with it being in the Federal back yard, but I guess it's probably not worth their time to look into it...

XBrandonEdwardX

Telecommunications
Sadly, you hear DMR FRS/GMRS/MURS quite regularly. It can be quite annoying for those who only have an analog scanner. Though this isn't technically allowed, I will just echo what @gary123 said... there's no enforcement really anywhere in Ontario; which is extremely unfortunate.

Some DMR traffic I've picked up on these services utilizing DMR are:
  • Construction Companies
  • Security Companies
  • Amateur Radio Operators
  • Shopping Centres
  • Janitorial Services
  • Property Maintenance
  • Apartment Building Operations
  • Retirement Homes
  • Old-Age Homes
  • Tourism Attractions
Sadly, as much as I would hate to say it... I think that list barely scratches the surface. That's also not even touching the fact that I've heard god-knows-who utilizing DMR with encryption.