gmrs antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

does anyone know where you can get antennas for GMRS radios, and also how you can remove the original ones?

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Umremovable FRS

I believe it is part of FCC rules that radio certified as an FRS radio
cannot have a removable antenna (ie the 'bubble pack' radios). GMRS only handhelds can have a removable
handheld antenna, I believe.

Lot's of websites have antenna's what will work on GMRS frequencies, I am a happy
customer of rwiz.com.

Jean B.

trace1

GMRS radios (commercial grade), portable or mobile, will have external antenna capabilities. The type of connection may vary though and there are numerous antenna types that are acceptable.

FRS radios (any type) have no removable antenna and are restricted to .5 watts.

FRS/GMRS radios (bubble packs) most likely will not have removable antennas, should be .5 watts on FRS and up to 5 watts on GMRS.

To legally operate on any GMRS frequencies you must apply for a license through the FCC. The license is good for 5 years and cost $80 (unless the cost has changed recently).

Big difference in FRS (only) radios, FRS/GMRS (bubble packs) radios, and GMRS (commercial grade) radios. If you’re talking about FRS radios, then NO you can not attach an external antenna.

IMPORTANT NOTE: There are some who feel that it is unnecessary or a waste of time to legally obtain an FCC GMRS license and freely advocate that and may inform you that you may never get caught, which may be the case but why risk it?

landonjensen

i am just looking for a place that sells the atennas for them. Also does anyone know where to buy icom radios? I am trying toi find a good icom radio, any suggestions??

Status
Not open for further replies.