GMRS Badge

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8mln

Ok, so I had mentioned this in another forum, but didnt seem to get any response about it....so, I'l make my own post here for this...

I love being and amateur radio op and I'm proud to be a licensed ham and have my callsign. I also love that we can now have a "badge icon" on our profiles to denote that we are licensed hams..

But, I'm also a licensed GMRS user and would like to request that a "badge icon" also be created to denote those GMRS users who have taken the time to actually get a GMRS license...

I know that now days with all the "bubble pack radios" there are FAR too many people who dont bother to get a license..I did and I'm proud of my GMRS callsign and I would like to propose a GMRS badge for us too!

joen7xxx

How about badges for those of us who have commercial radiotelephone and radiotelegraph licenses as well?

scannerboy01

I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't have a badge for GMRS, but if everyone wants a badge for something, the administrators would have a hard time creating a badge to please everyone's needs.

KJ6HCB

GROL I agree with, definitely! Im in the process of getting mine now.

Sorry, but I dont agree with the GMRS badge - its as simple as clicking around on the FCC site and paying a fee. No "skill" involved.

Just my opinion.

W2NJS

Your callsign IS your badge, if you really need a badge. Your callsign is unique worldwide and it speaks for itself.

rfburns

How about badges for those of us who have commercial radiotelephone and radiotelegraph licenses as well?
3 stars if you had a First. 2 stars for a 2nd and 1 star for a Third. If you're a newbie after the old system went away then no stars. Add a hand key for those with a radiotelegraph license. :roll:

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Okay guys, its enough let it go. Several posts deleted as ot.

Thanks

Last edited:

scanningisfun

Why does it matter if you have a GMRS badge? It really doesn't change anything. I really do not care who has a GMRS license and who doesn't have one. I think they had all the badges they needed before the ham radio badge.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't have a badge for GMRS, but if everyone wants a badge for something, the administrators would have a hard time creating a badge to please everyone's needs.

How much skill does it take to get a technicians class ham license? Not much. I could train a chimp to do it. Yet people get the badge for it.

I know it's hard to draw the line on this one, but personally I would favor a badge for those who can get the extra license. Now there is a serious accomplishment.

swstow

Premium Subscriber
ok how about this, first its lindsay's site he should make the call, second how about a poll of paying members , i think the badge is a nice touch but not if its going to start a what about me feeling, i have no personal problem with a GMRS badge but keep the type of badges under control, people work hard to get their licenses, be it HAM , GMRS or other.hell i hold several professional licenses but dont exspect them to be posted on this site

scanningisfun

ok how about this, first its lindsay's site he should make the call, second how about a poll of paying members , i think the badge is a nice touch but not if its going to start a what about me feeling, i have no personal problem with a GMRS badge but keep the type of badges under control, people work hard to get their licenses, be it HAM , GMRS or other.hell i hold several professional licenses but dont exspect them to be posted on this site

Referring to KJ6HCB's Post:

Sorry, but I dont agree with the GMRS badge - its as simple as clicking around on the FCC site and paying a fee. No "skill" involved.

Just my opinion.

reedeb

How much skill does it take to get a technicians class ham license? Not much. I could train a chimp to do it. Yet people get the badge for it.

I know it's hard to draw the line on this one, but personally I would favor a badge for those who can get the extra license. Now there is a serious accomplishment.

I DON'T see YOU getting one. so i guess you don't have the skill. I had to learn what was in the book and take a test. Have YOU taken a test? I didn't think so. IIRC youLOVE the CB where is the skill in THAT?

Last edited:

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Radio is radio... You still have the same electrical principles with CB as you do amateur radio. An 11-meter dipole, Moonraker or Antron 99 will by-far out perform a 48" Firestik or base loaded mag-mount whip any day of the week. If anything CBers have it tougher because they don't have acres of instructional books detailing how they can be better radio operators.

Seriously, if I knew then what I know now - CB would have been a lot funner.

scanningisfun

I DON'T see YOU getting one. so i guess you don't have the skill. I had to learn what was in the book and take a test. Have YOU taken a test? I didn't think so. IIRC youLOVE the CB where is the skill in THAT?

Maybe he doesn't want to have to have a ham radio license. You can read through study guides that do make understanding it much more simple. (Not saying skill isn't needed to use it properly). Don't think of yourself too highly because you have an amateur radio license.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
OK, I think that's enough guys..I'm sure if there are plans to add any more badges Lindsay will announce it at the appropriate time.

Status
Not open for further replies.