• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS base station setup

Radios_With_Jackson

ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I've been working on a base station for GMRS and have been stumped on what antenna to get. I'm using an XTL2500. I'm in an area with a lot of trees houses and buildings. what antenna is recommend?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Really depends on your local topology.

I'm in a valley and back when I was more active on GMRS, I had a small UHF base antenna on the roof, I think it was 0dB gain. Worked fine as the radiation pattern reached upwards and hit the repeaters well, and coverage was good enough for the valley.
If you are out on the plains where you can see all the way out to the horizon, a higher gain antenna may be a better choice.

And don't forget that the size of the antenna will dictate the mount. The mounting arrangement may dictate how large an antenna you can use.

Don't neglect proper grounding and lightning protection, either. You need to look at it as an entire system, not just individual pieces.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I normally suggest the Laird 4500 or 4503 for a home installation. I run a DB404 but as @mmckenna mentioned that requires better mounting. The 4503 is a decent light antenna and paired with LMR400 is a ideal control station antenna for GMRS.

PACNWDude

I am on top of a hill and do not need much for range but have been using a Laird QW450 6" whisker antenna on a Laird G88UM manet mount, mounted to one of my fence posts for several years, attached to a Motorola CDM1550 LS+ mobile. Works very well for GMRS.

Attachments

• Laird.JPG
    Laird.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 42

Radios_With_Jackson

ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Really depends on your local topology.

I'm in a valley and back when I was more active on GMRS, I had a small UHF base antenna on the roof, I think it was 0dB gain. Worked fine as the radiation pattern reached upwards and hit the repeaters well, and coverage was good enough for the valley.
If you are out on the plains where you can see all the way out to the horizon, a higher gain antenna may be a better choice.

And don't forget that the size of the antenna will dictate the mount. The mounting arrangement may dictate how large an antenna you can use.

Don't neglect proper grounding and lightning protection, either. You need to look at it as an entire system, not just individual pieces.
what antenna do you recommend for a chimney mount?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Depends on your local topology and what your chimney can support.

Where I live, chimneys are reinforced with rebar due to earthquakes. Mine has had a 5 foot mast sticking above it with antennas up to a few feet long.

You'd need to determine what your chimney can support, and how much antenna you need based on your location.

Radios_With_Jackson

ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Depends on your local topology and what your chimney can support.

Where I live, chimneys are reinforced with rebar due to earthquakes. Mine has had a 5 foot mast sticking above it with antennas up to a few feet long.

You'd need to determine what your chimney can support, and how much antenna you need based on your location.
alright. Im in a some what flat area with lots of houses and trees.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I may be biased since I had a chimney that was very difficult to get repaired from just weather damage, but IMHO chimneys are too easily damaged, and generally shouldn't be used as an antenna mount.

Where I grew up, my brother mounted a tripod base on the roof of our house rather than risk a chimney mount.

Thanks
Joel

prcguy

I don't think its possible to damage a chimney with a typical strap type mount, if anything the strap mount will hold the chimney together better. There are probably millions of them in use and I've never heard of a problem.

I may be biased since I had a chimney that was very difficult to get repaired from just weather damage, but IMHO chimneys are too easily damaged, and generally shouldn't be used as an antenna mount.

Where I grew up, my brother mounted a tripod base on the roof of our house rather than risk a chimney mount.

Thanks
Joel

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
alright. Im in a some what flat area with lots of houses and trees.

How flat? How far off is the horizon? Do you have mountains around you? If you could provide the STATE you are in, that would help. There are many "Richmond"'s in the country, and we don't know which one you are at.

Choosing an antenna takes some work. It wouldn't be prudent for any of us to make a recommendation without having a better idea of where you are located.

Radios_With_Jackson

ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
How flat? How far off is the horizon? Do you have mountains around you? If you could provide the STATE you are in, that would help. There are many "Richmond"'s in the country, and we don't know which one you are at.

Choosing an antenna takes some work. It wouldn't be prudent for any of us to make a recommendation without having a better idea of where you are located.
I’m in Richmond Virginia. To be more specific I’m in the Mechanicsville area.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I’m in Richmond Virginia. To be more specific I’m in the Mechanicsville area.

I'm in that area multiple times a week. I don't hear a lot of GMRS activity. I know there is a RPT in Ashland and one in SW Richmond. If your goal is to use them I'd just order the FG4500 and put it on a side mount bracket as close to your radio as possible.

Depending on your chimney the strap mount works well but many chimneys are also wood box around metal insulated pipe. Those can just use a wall bracket. Remember to determine if the extra height and loss in cable run is worth the location. Alot of times 15' of cable and an antenna outside works fine for repeater use. If your trying to use simplex for your area you need some height and not sure the chimney is really high enough.

Radios_With_Jackson

ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
I'm in that area multiple times a week. I don't hear a lot of GMRS activity. I know there is a RPT in Ashland and one in SW Richmond. If your goal is to use them I'd just order the FG4500 and put it on a side mount bracket as close to your radio as possible.

Depending on your chimney the strap mount works well but many chimneys are also wood box around metal insulated pipe. Those can just use a wall bracket. Remember to determine if the extra height and loss in cable run is worth the location. Alot of times 15' of cable and an antenna outside works fine for repeater use. If your trying to use simplex for your area you need some height and not sure the chimney is really high enough.
If I attach a 10-15 foot pole to the mount for some extra height would the be enough height or would I have to go higher?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Low rolling hills, so it really depends on your EXACT location and where exactly you want to talk.

I'd start with a medium gain antenna. Something in the 3-5dB gain range and see how it goes.

If you are using repeaters, you shouldn't need a lot of antenna or power if you are in it's intended footprint. If you are not in the repeater coverage area, no reasonable amount of antenna is going to make it work.

And, high gain antennas are not always the right solution. Don't fall for the ERP thing that some get hung up on.

hfd376

Premium Subscriber
A 3 to 5 db gain antenna will likely get into the SW Richmond repeater, if that's what you're after. If you're looking for simplex base to mobile use, either will be fine. I'm using a Laird FG4505, and it does well. I've heard of good results from people using the Tram version of that antenna. If you're in a low area with lots of pine, simplex range will probably suffer. Folks will tell you to go with a larger coax RG-8 variant due to line loss, and they are right. The coax is likely the most important part of the system. Welcome to GMRS, I'm in Richmond as well.