• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS call sign format -Just Wondering!-

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
I stand corrected. Didn't realize they got to the G's yet!

The FCC ULS database shows KAG-1228 as the most recently assigned call that is still active. John Jurasek from Orangeburg, New York.

Hans13

Which is.....it's not required. Often transmitted, but not required by regulation on GMRS.

AFAIK, a repeater does not have to identify only if all the users of a repeater are under the same call sign and each station identifies itself. Otherwise, a repeater does have to identify.

47 CFR § 95.1751 - GMRS station identification.

§ 95.1751 GMRS station identification.

Each GMRS station must be identified by transmission of its FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section. A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification.

(a) The GMRS station call sign must be transmitted:

(1) Following a single transmission or a series of transmissions; and,

(2) After 15 minutes and at least once every 15 minutes thereafter during a series of transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes.

(b) The call sign must be transmitted using voice in the English language or international Morse code telegraphy using an audible tone.

(c ) Any GMRS repeater station is not required to transmit station identification if:

(1) It retransmits only communications from GMRS stations operating under authority of the individual license under which it operates; and,

(2) The GMRS stations whose communications are retransmitted are properly identified in accordance with this section.

bill4long

Does anyone on GMRS actually use a call sign?

I've never heard simplex users do it, (I don't know if I've ever heard any GMRS simplex users), but there is a five-repeater system in Indiana and all the users on there identify. If you don't identify on repeaters you'll probably get chased off by the owner.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
There is a multi-state linked GMRS system founded by a gentleman in Gary, Indiana. Their method of linking is via a Zello channel. However, to give them some "props" they absolutely will not authorize anyone seeking to use Zello on their network to have access until they have a current GMRS license and they have been verified on the FCC database.

They also require everyone to use their GMRS callsign per FCC regulations.

Hans13

I've never heard simplex users do it, (I don't know if I've ever heard any GMRS simplex users), but there is a five-repeater system in Indiana and all the users on there identify. If you don't identify on repeaters you'll probably get chased off by the owner.
Yep. That's been pretty much my experiences here. In our area there are licensed GMRS simplex users but they typically operate as sort of FRS in that almost nobody uses GMRS call signs. Since we have more than a few license-by-rule FRS users out there on simplex (individuals, businesses, schools, etc), it seems to confuse them when GMRS users give call signs on simplex. It's just easier all the way around to simplex like FRS users, IMHO. Of course, everyone uses GMRS call signs on the repeaters here.

djewel6

Yep my original GMRS was KPUW492 but I let it lapse and was just cheaper to get a new license granted then bring back the old one from the dead..

WQYW407

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I use my call sign when I'm using GMRS. I just recently renewed my license WQVK413 until 2030. I have several handhelds and just purchased the Midland MXT400. This is a very nice and powerful GMRS radio with Repeater capability and I will be getting a second one soon.

ka4gfy

This is a question that is just to satisfy my curiosity.

I am a licensed ham operator as well as a licensed GMRS operator. I am familiar with the FCC's Amateur radio call sign format - its easily found many places as to the format they use to issue Amateur call signs. But I'm curious about the GMRS format. I realize that it isn't broken up in the various classes as Ham radio is - like tech, general, and extra class. I have searched but haven't found anything describing the format for determining GMRS licenses. Is there any info out there that describes the format rules they use.

I'm just curious to see if the call sign can be somewhat descriptive of the user in any way. For example does a call sign that starts with a W or K or whatever else indicate any length of time that the license has been issued. For example Amateur (HAM) call signs can be somewhat descriptive of the operator. Like the first letter in my call sign of KF5YKO - "K" shows that I'm located west of the Mississippi river, and the number 5 in my call sign supposedly shows that I'm located in region 5 of the US covering Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana,and Mississippi. The 2x3 format length of the call sign shows that I have either a technician class license or a general class license that I didn't get a shortened "general class" calls sign when upgrading "by choice".

Or is it simply issued sequentially/randomly out of a pool of call signs formatted for GMRS - 4 letter prefix and 3 number suffix?

Thanks to anyone who can waste some time answering this really unimportant question. :)
73's

Ham - KF5YKO
GMRS - WQWJ296
The "K" in you amateur callsign has nothing to do with your location West of the Mississippi River. It's what the FCC is assigning to amateur radio operators in the sequential assignments.

I have a "K" at the beginning of my callsign and I have held it for 40+ years and I live in Virginia. There are plenty of amateur radio operators in California and the West coast whose callsigns start with "W."

You are correct on the "5." That depicts the region where you were first licensed.
Rich, KA4GFY

Status
Not open for further replies.