• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Channels 8-14 Power Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5FKE

Premium Subscriber
Hello, everyone! Hope that all is well. I have a question in reference to GMRS channels 8-14. I do understand that, in terms of wattage, one can transmit at ½ watt; however, I’ve read (on two other sites) that one can transmit at much more power (at least 5 W), if you’re using a programmable part 95 (or part 90) radio. Is that so?

I do own a part 95 radio that can transmit at 1 W low power and 4 W high power.

Thanks for your time!

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Well...to answer your specific question, yes, Part 90 radios are CAPABLE of transmitting at higher power on channels 8-14, but it is not legal to do so, as noted by @ocn29rsc Part 90 radios aren't going to set the power to 0.5w automatically like the FRS/GMRS radios will.

Hans13

Hello, everyone! Hope that all is well. I have a question in reference to GMRS channels 8-14. I do understand that, in terms of wattage, one can transmit at ½ watt; however, I’ve read (on two other sites) that one can transmit at much more power (at least 5 W), if you’re using a programmable part 95 (or part 90) radio. Is that so?

I do own a part 95 radio that can transmit at 1 W low power and 4 W high power.

Thanks for your time!

Channels 8-14 are only allowed 0.5 Watts and must only be handheld portable units per the FCC; GMRS or FRS.

47 CFR § 95.567 - FRS transmit power.

§ 95.567 FRS transmit power.

Each FRS transmitter type must be designed such that the effective radiated power (ERP) on channels 8 through 14 does not exceed 0.5 Watts and the ERP on channels 1 through 7 and 15 through 22 does not exceed 2.0 Watts.

47 CFR § 95.1767 - GMRS transmitting power limits.

§ 95.1767 GMRS transmitting power limits.
(c )467 MHz interstitial channels. The effective radiated power (ERP) of hand-held portable units transmitting on the 467 MHz interstitial channels must not exceed 0.5 Watt. Each GMRS transmitter type capable of transmitting on these channels must be designed such that the ERP does not exceed 0.5 Watt.

47 CFR § 95.1763 - GMRS channels.

§ 95.1763 GMRS channels.
(d)467 MHz interstitial channels. Only hand-held portable units may transmit on these 7 channels. The channel center frequencies are: 467.5675, 467.5875, 467.6125, 467.6375, 467.6625, 467.6875, and 467.7125 MHz.

Section 95.563. FRS channels.
Section 95.1763. GMRS channels.

KI5FKE

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for clarifying this for me! I'll leave those frequencies out of my radio since the lowest it can transmit is 1 W. You all are appreciated!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
And ensure that your radios 8-14 are the same 8-14 everyone else talks about, as FRS/GMRS do not have channel numbers
YMMV by each model or even vendor

All major vendors (Uniden, Cobra, Midland, Motorola) use exactly the same channel numbering scheme for 22-channel radios (which are now all reclassified as FRS, not FRS/GMRS). As mentioned, higher power (up to 2W ERP) are only allowed on 1-7 and 15-22 when type accepted as an FRS radio. 8-14 are 500 mW ERP only.

Now, GMRS service radios it is legal to use higher wattage on all the channels, but they do not include the FRS frequencies used on 8-14 (and on those, the channel numbering is different). GMRS also allows for off-unit antennas, mobile and base radios, and repeater operation. But, GMRS requires an explicit license (you have to pay for and get a call sign to legally operate them) whereas FRS is entirely license-by-rule on all 22 channels (i.e. if you follow the rules you have a license and don't have to pay nor do you get a call sign).

Hans13

Now, GMRS service radios it is legal to use higher wattage on all the channels, but they do not include the FRS frequencies used on 8-14 (and on those, the channel numbering is different). GMRS also allows for off-unit antennas, mobile and base radios, and repeater operation. But, GMRS requires an explicit license (you have to pay for and get a call sign to legally operate them) whereas FRS is entirely license-by-rule on all 22 channels (i.e. if you follow the rules you have a license and don't have to pay nor do you get a call sign).
{emphasis added by me}

I might be misunderstanding your post UPMan, but it looks like you stated that all GMRS channels now are the higher wattage and those channels do not include the 8-14 lower wattage channels. AFAIK, GMRS now includes ALL 22 channels (0.5W limit on 8-14) plus 8 repeater inputs.

§ 95.1763 GMRS channels.

The GMRS is allotted 30 channels - 16 main channels and 14 interstitial channels. GMRS stations may transmit on any of the channels as indicated below.

scanmanmi

It's very confusing to have a .5W limit in the middle of the channels. I think it has to do with the possibility of a repeater output being 5 MHZ from channels 1-7. The assumption is that the repeater will have a 5 MHZ offset but that is not necessarily the law as discussed here https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/gmrs-freq-pair.334497/
I kind of see these things as a voluntary recommendation, like the speed limit.

nd5y

It's very confusing to have a .5W limit in the middle of the channels. I think it has to do with the possibility of a repeater output being 5 MHZ from channels 1-7.
No. The 1/2 watt power limit on the 467 MHz interstitial channels is to help reduce interference from bubble pack radios to repeater inputs that are 12.5 kHz either side of the interstitial channels. It has nothing to do with the 5 MHz repeater offset or using non-standard pairs for a repeater.

Hans13

I've always been told that the reason for the 0.5W limit is because those 467 frequencies lie in between the repeater inputs and could cause interference with higher wattage. That's why they are called 467 MHz interstitial channels.

(Edit: Your post popped in there between, nd5y. I didn't mean to repeat your statement.)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
FRS and GMRS are two separate services. However, they share some frequencies.

FRS is a 22-channel service that only allows for 2W on 1-7 and 15-22, and .5W on 8-14. You cannot use a detachable antenna. You cannot operate through repeaters. It is license-by-rule with no call sign requirement.

GMRS is a different service that shares 14 of its channels with FRS (in FRS they are numbered 1-7 and 15-22). GMRS rules are different from FRS, in that GMRS allows for higher power, detacheable antennas, base/mobile radios, and repeater operation. It requires an explicit license and call sign.

For two decades, FRS was only a 14-channel, .5W ERP service which shared channels 1-7 with GMRS (but still only at .5W). In the early 2000's the FCC allowed manufacturers to build radios that included both GMRS and FRS type acceptance, which opened the manufacturers to using 22 channels, adding higher power channels 15-22 and allowing for higher power on 1-7. Since 8-14 were FRS-only service frequencies, they were still limited to .5W ERP. However, to legally use channels 1-7 or 15-22, the user was supposed to get a GMRS license and only use channels 8-14 if they did not have a GMRS license. Virtually all "FRS" radios on the market, today, were built under those rules, so the packaging, manuals, etc are somewhat confusing, as they are no longer in sync with the actual rules, which changed a couple of years ago.

The FCC now forbids the combination of license-by-rule service and explicit license service channels in a single radio. However, at the same time, they expanded FRS from 14 to 22 channels and codified the rules to match what was actually being built. I had a lot to do with proposing and promoting this form of the changes, including 3 face-to-face meetings with both the technical and legal groups at the FCC in D. C.

Later this year, all "grandfathered" radios will have to have new FCC grants that are single-service, FRS-only grants rather than the dual-service grants they have today.

GMRS does not and has never included FRS channels 8-14. You cannot legally operate on those frequencies on anything other than a radio that has type acceptance for FRS as reflected in the radio's FCC grant.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
FRS and GMRS are two separate services. However, they share some frequencies.[/QUOTE]

Your explanation is good, but some people need to read slower or read it again. Maybe it's the proper English that is confusing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.