• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS emergency operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchappy

I was browsing through the GMRS rules and I came across this:

95.143 Managing a GMRS system in an emergency.

(b) If necessary to communicate an emergency message from a station in a GMRS system, the licensee may permit:

(1) Anyone to be the station operator (see 95.179); and

(2) The station operator to communicate the emergency message to any radio station.

Does this permit a licensed GMRS station to contact any other (GMRS or non-GMRS) station in the event of a true emergency involving the safety of someone's life (as defined elsewhere in the rules)? I imagine that it probably does not, but it isn't worded that way...

ab6ojll

The Rule explains:
1) The licensee of a system(family, partner, corp etc) may permit one of the members to communicate
to other gmrs station.. ( The system may have one call sign plus suffix))
2) In no way the gmrs operator can communicate any other radios with non-gmrs frequency even if a emergency.
Unless that person has a different radio to communicate to other band with a proper license..

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
If you have a true life threatening emergency you can talk on anything anywhere. Period. No further debate will be needed.

Next.

correct, it simply means that in the event of an emergency you are allowed to transmit on any available radio that is capable of the frequency in use. i'm not a HAM, but if i came up on a wreck and one of the folks had a HAM radio in their vehicle i could use it to attempt to reach help. same thing if it was a public safety officer, i could use their radio to call in help for them.

remember, life and death situations superced all FCC rules. just make sure it really is a life safety issue and you would be fine. if a crazy guy is wandering in the road babbling and blocking traffic, then no you can't break rules. but if that guy gets hit and is laying there bleeding out, then yes you can.

ab6ojll

I have both gmrs and ham licenses.
I go hikings and chase the trail myself alone.
Most of the tme My trails are in wildness area.
All the time prepare for the communications to outside.
The fcc doesn't allow much chances for the gmrs radio nor allow any modifications.
The only thing permitted is to communicate to any stations(funny, with gmrs frequencies ?).
Dosen't allow "mayday" calls except aboard a ship.
I carry both radio for me and more possibly for sombody else.
I scan radio all the time but who knows which channel is in emergency calling..
Because FCC doesn't think the gmrs users may be in any emergency situations.
To prepare the emergency,
1) one channel s/b reserved for the emergency call. (This procedure May take a long time or never)

2) the gmrs operator must find the repeater closest around (find the right tone also).
3) Carry a commercial performance radio.
4) or Have a Ham license(no license fee) and use abundant number of open repeaters.
Fcc doesn't allow any other type of radio being used in GMRS.(in favor of manufacturer ?)
GMRS radio: crystal controlled, practically F3E,F1A(identification purposes)..
Most of consumer style radio output 2.5watts or less power in order to easily adjust the bandwith rule.
Find full 5w radio.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
You now have me confused about GMRS I used Part 95 programmable radios and 5 watt hand helds

n8emr

The fcc doesn't allow much chances for the gmrs radio nor allow any modifications.
What modes would you need to make.
[quote
The only thing permitted is to communicate to any stations(funny, with gmrs frequencies ?).
[/quote]
Sure they do you can talk to FRS stations
Dosen't allow "mayday" calls except aboard a ship.
Sure you can call mayday,..

I scan radio all the time but who knows which channel is in emergency calling..
This is no emergency channel in ham or GMRS.
Because FCC doesn't think the gmrs users may be in any emergency situations.
To prepare the emergency,
1) one channel s/b reserved for the emergency call. (This procedure May take a long time or never)
Again ham radio has no defined emergency channel.
2) the gmrs operator must find the repeater closest around (find the right tone also).
Same for ham repeters. find one, fine the tone.

3) Carry a commercial performance radio.
My ham radio is a commercially made radio

4) or Have a Ham license(no license fee) and use abundant number of open repeaters.
This is a factor in hams have more repeaters, not anything negative about GMRS.

Fcc doesn't allow any other type of radio being used in GMRS.(in favor of manufacturer ?)
You can you any manufacture that is part 90/95 complaint. This is pretty much any major manufacture.

GMRS radio: crystal controlled, practically F3E,F1A(identification purposes)..
Crystal controlled, no!!!! F3E (fm) yes.

Most of consumer style radio output 2.5watts or less power in order to easily adjust the bandwith rule.
Find full 5w radio.
Power out has nothing to do with bandwith rules You can find many commercial 4-6watt radio. Granted you not going to find it at walmart in the electronic section, but lots of radio available.

Not sure what your point was regarding this post.. Your rambling about two different radio services. If one doesnt fit your needs then use the other one. You will find most of your GMRS comments are either wrong or very location specific.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
and a side note to using any frequency in a life or death situation, its true BUT that is if you have no other means of contacting help. So if there is a wreak you come across and your cell phone works then use the cell phone, or if you are a ham or GMRS operator and you don't have a cell phone try contacting some one on those freqs first.

ab6ojll

In case of life-threating situation, If a life is saved by using illegally any frequencies(i.e. law enforcement, emergency agency's etc..) or by using their radios(this will cause a really big trouble....), the situation is once concidered anyway(never ignored). maybe dismissed. But remember never ignored..
The radio is only the tool for the communication.
If sombody theaten in your face, then maybe better using the radio to hit on his face( no time to communicate).
The best communication tool is call "911"(maybe the only way or the best) as mentioned above..
The cell phone doesn't act in the mountain or suburban area.
The radio is used to contact outside which do a emergency line contact for me.
GMRS operators normally set the privacy code(we call it a tone). This also cause a problem for communications to others..
Here in Los Angeles, majority of hiking clubs use a same channel/tone. In case to help(Ofcause no privacy). Study individually for your own application what to do..

jchappy

I purposely left my inquiry as general as possible to allow discussion that would be useful fr anyone with the same question.

However, I have received mixed results in the context that I was seeking, so I'll explain further.

I attend one of the largest catholic universities in the northeast, whose public safety department I monitor on my UHF HT1250 (almost always by my side). In the event that something catastrophic were about to occur (and by that, I mean a shooter sighting, not a routine medical emergency or anything), I want to know if I would be able to use the radio to communicate this, as time is of the essence in such a situation (especially if my phone is dead or I don't have service). I am licensed for GMRS, and I would identify myself before the transmission (even though I'm not on GMRS, it's an FCC callsign nonetheless).

Any thoughts?

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
should your cellphone not work and its a real emergency where you getting help is the only means of saving your life or someone elses then yes

if it was programmed for that public safety frequency and there was a shooter and you used your radio you might be seen from the innocent bystanders as a public safety person

Last edited:

ab6ojll

[or I don't have service). I am licensed for GMRS, and I would identify myself before the transmission (even though I'm not on GMRS, it's an FCC callsign nonetheless).
---------------------------------------
Actually you don't need to identyfy in a call sign but in your actual name and phone number.
You are not a GMRS operator any more in that frequency.

Prepare or practice in normal time for reporting:
... location, appearance descriptions as mu ch as in detail(inc. racial, color and type of clothes, shoes etc if you can see), So as not to kill a wrong person.
... kind of weapons etc..( Important for the many of Dispatcher's life also)

But most of all, you have to find out the privacy code, input frequency if a duplex..You can monitor but you may not be able to contact..

Still Liable(remember)

Last edited:

ipfd320

Banned
gmrs discussion

ok heres my question..as a newly license ham tech radio operator if i come across an actual life threat emergency and have no cell phone on me or signal can i use my ham radio to call the local fire dispatcher or pd in my area or the area im in at time of emergency

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Yes but before you do that, Try calling out on one of the local ham repeaters for for help or any simplex freqs you know are active before you go and start calling some one on a local PD and FD freq... You should of read up on that while you were studying for your tech license.....

Status
Not open for further replies.