• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS exit strategy: Going to 900MHz DTRs and DLRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Bluetooth Accessories

Are there any Bluetooth accessories that would work with the DTR550s?

Chickenhawk56

Yes. Any Bluetooth adapter that works with the Motorola two-pin connector will work fine.

Pryme makes one. Pryme BLU adapter BT-503 will work.

Be careful that not all two-pin Motorola connectors are the same. There are two different sizes, based on length of the male connectors. Check compatibility charts.

n1das

Are there any Bluetooth accessories that would work with the DTR550s?
None currently since the DTRs don't have any BT capability. The DTRs were designed before BT accessories and hands free operation became hugely popular. BT capability would be a nice feature to add to a future DTR or DLR model.

IIRC there was a BT adapter available for NEXTEL phones back in the day of the i355 and other phone models. The DTRs supposedly were designed from the i325is and share a common design. They supposedly were part of the same project inside Motorola when they were designed.

Some DTR accessories have gone end of life and are NLA. The DTRs and new battery packs for them are still being manufactured and still are current product from Motorola. Since my DTRs are long term keepers, I stepped up to the plate and bought all factory new DTR650s. I didn't want to take chances with used equipment on eBay. I got mine in January 2017 and the DTRs and batteries have a November 2016 build date. I got hooked on the DTRs after using a pair of DLRs for a year.

Search around and you might be able to find a BT adapter accessory I recall seeing years ago.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
None currently since the DTRs don't have any BT capability. The DTRs were designed before BT accessories and hands free operation became hugely popular. BT capability would be a nice feature to add to a future DTR or DLR model.

IIRC there was a BT adapter available for NEXTEL phones back in the day of the i355 and other phone models. The DTRs supposedly were designed from the i325is and share a common design. They supposedly were part of the same project inside Motorola when they were designed.

Some DTR accessories have gone end of life and are NLA. The DTRs and new battery packs for them are still being manufactured and still are current product from Motorola. Since my DTRs are long term keepers, I stepped up to the plate and bought all factory new DTR650s. I didn't want to take chances with used equipment on eBay. I got mine in January 2017 and the DTRs and batteries have a November 2016 build date. I got hooked on the DTRs after using a pair of DLRs for a year.

Search around and you might be able to find a BT adapter accessory I recall seeing years ago.

The Pryme Motorola 2 pin adapter comes to mind.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

n1das

The Pryme Motorola 2 pin adapter comes to mind.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

OK, cool. I didn't know about that one. It should work with any of Moto's radios with the narrow 2-pin speaker/mic connector.

I was thinking of a BT adapter I recall seeing from Motorola years ago that plugs onto the wide charger/accessory connector on the bottom of a DTR radio or NEXTEL phone.

n1das

BUMPing this thread back to life.

My wife and I and friends are currently vacationing in Cocoa Beach FL, one of the few warm spots in the country right now. We have been using my DTRs exclusively instead of UHF Part 90/95 commercial handhelds on GMRS. (We are GMRS licensed) We have been enjoying 100% flawless digital coverage around the hotel and the surrounding area. We're not trying to set any range records and specifically want the DTRs for local on-site simplex type use. The DTRs are perfect for that. I set up a private talkgroup in them to make them very secure. (Not encrypted but VERY secure.). Working flawlessly.

Given that GMRS is remaining a licensed service, I recently renewed my soon to expire GMRS license after the new rules went into effect so that my license will be good for 10 years. But now that I have the DTRs I found I haven't been using GMRS at all lately because the DTRs have been working so well for local on-site simplex type use. I prefer stay all digital on the DTRs.

Last edited:

KA9JYO

DLR

What are the reasons you got hooked to DTR after using DLR's for a year?. I am curious since I would prefer
DLR, are newer design.

n1das

What are the reasons you got hooked to DTR after using DLR's for a year?. I am curious since I would prefer
DLR, are newer design.

The DLRs are excellent radios and a newer design but not necessarily better. It depends on whether you want a radio loaded with features (DTR) or a radio with more of a minimalist design (DLR).

I got hooked on the DTRs after learning more about them after having nothing but great experiences with the DLRs. The DTRs have more features than the DLRs and the radio geek in me outgrew the DLRs and was hungry for the DTRs. I'm keeping my DTRs and may still add a few DLRs to my collection. The small size of the DLRs is cool and is great for when you want to be stealthy and don't want to carry a bigger radio with you.

For many users, the DTRs represent too much "radio" for the average user. The DLRs are Motorola's answer to that for on-site small business use. The look and feel of the DLRs is similar to the Motorola CLS series UHF analog portables. I see the CLS series in use a lot in restaurants and retail outlets. The DLRs appear to be aimed at that market to replace the CLS series. The DLRs seem to make sense for the target market.

RF performance of the DLRs is identical to the DTR550 and DTR650 when using the 3" 1/4 wave antenna. The 7" 1/2 wave antenna gives the DTRs a slight edge in range over the DLRs. I wouldn't bother with the DTR410 with its stubby fixed antenna. In actual use, I haven't been able to tell much difference in range with the 3" antenna vs. 7" antenna on the DTRs and no difference compared to the DLRs. They work well enough that the average user probably won't notice any difference. I like using the 3" antenna on the DTRs because it doesn't poke me as much as the 7" antenna does and makes the DTRs a little more stealthy. Looks cool too.

Chickenhawk in the twowayradioforum.com forums posted an excellent review on the DLRs and compares them to the DTRs:
NEW - Motorola DLR series - rugged, licence-free, high-quality digital radios - Two Way Radio Forum

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

DLR, are newer design.

I’d pick the DTR’s over the DLR’s due to ergos. I’m not a fan of the CLP style PTT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n1das

I’d pick the DTR’s over the DLR’s due to ergos. I’m not a fan of the CLP style PTT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, me too. :) Another reason why I "graduated" from a newer design (DLR) to a 10+ year old design (DTR). :)

The large round PTT button on front the DLR and CLS radios seems to make sense for the small size of the radio. It's comfortable to hold and a thumb press on the round button is all it takes. It works whether the user holds the radio in their left hand or right hand.

I would love it if Motorola would come out with a DTR 2.0 radio, say call it a DTR750. Add the programming features of the DLRs to the DTRs and use the DLR's PTT beeps and other alert tones. The DLR's tones are less obnoxious than the DTR's tones.

I am glad to see Motorola added the DLR series to their line of digital on-site business radios. It shows Motorola appears to be committed to keeping digital on-site business radios on the market. AFAIK, nobody else offers a 900MHz FHSS digital on-site business radio that directly competes with the DTRs and DLRs. I hope Motorola continues to offer the DTRs and someday upgrades them by adding a few new models.

Last edited:

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The only time GMRS would make more sense than the DTRs is in a mobile/extreme long distance environment. 50 watts and a good mobile or base antenna should outperform the DTRs hands down, but you know how I feel about the DTRs. :) There is no better handheld radio platform out there as far as I'm concerned. Darn things just work.

n1das

The only time GMRS would make more sense than the DTRs is in a mobile/extreme long distance environment. 50 watts and a good mobile or base antenna should outperform the DTRs hands down, but you know how I feel about the DTRs. :) There is no better handheld radio platform out there as far as I'm concerned. Darn things just work.
Yep. Its worth keeping other stuff around for more regional type coverage. I still have GMRS and I'm staying GMRS licensed. I haven't made a total "exit" from GMRS now that GMRS is remaining a licensed service.
The possibility of GMRS being made license by rule and rendered a bubble pack only service caused me to look into practical alternatives. I'm also interested in an all-digital solution and we already know that will probably never happen on GMRS.
I also looked at how I have actually used GMRS over years. I rarely use GMRS repeaters. The vast majority of my GMRS usage has been for local on-site simplex type use with family and friends. I have also used VHF MURS from time to time. The majority of equipment used on GMRS has been good quality Part 90/95 commercial gear since I also use that gear on the 440 ham band. LOL, I've even got my wife trained enough that she prefers to use the "good stuff" (commercial grade radios) on GMRS instead of bubble packs. Whatever I migrate to should use commercial grade equipment. I own a pair of Motorola TalkAbout bubble packs but they only get used when my 6 year old and 3 year old nephews come for a visit.
It would also be nice that whatever I migrate to offer some level of privacy over GMRS/FRS and MURS and any other analog radio for that matter. The DTRs and DLRs are all-digital and while not encrypted, they can be made VERY secure. No consumer grade equipment (scanner) can monitor them and it is unlikely that they ever will in the future. Aside from Motorola test equipment and/or 3-letter government agency, DTRs and DLRs are unmonitorable except with another DTR or DLR radio and provided they are set up correctly. I have a private talkgroup programmed into my DTRs and no other DTR or DLR will respond if not a member of the private group. It's essentially "security through obscurity" and that's good enough for me.
The DTRs and the DLRs are the answer. :)

Last edited:

n1das

I should have kept the pair of DLR1060 radios I previously had. (LOL)

I added a fleet of DLR1060 radios to my collection. DLR = Digital Lightweight Radio, according to Motorola. The DTRs are keepers but the DLRs have been growing on me too. The super small size and minimalist design makes the DLRs super convenient. My wife actually likes the DLRs better than the DTRs because of the small size and simple operation. RF performance and range is identical to the DTRs when the DTRs are using the 3.5 inch 1/4 wave antenna. I'm using the optional 7 inch 1/2 wave antenna on the DTRs.

Channels 1-5 are at the out of box defaults and work with DTRs at their factory default settings on Public Groups 1-5. I created a Private Group on DLR channel 6 and got it to work with my Private Group in my DTRs. They all work together on the Private Group. I customized the radio name based on the Private ID of each radio so the radio announces the radio name at power up. I customized the channel names too so it says the names that I called them instead of the default "Channel One", "Channel Two", etc.

Attachments

• PMLN7140_SUC_with_radio_and_beltclip_reed.jpg
    PMLN7140_SUC_with_radio_and_beltclip_reed.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20180118_225359.jpg
    IMG_20180118_225359.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20180119_012708.jpg
    IMG_20180119_012708.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited: