• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Gmrs/Frs antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandiegosand

Me and my buddy use radios to communicate frequently, but our houses are just barely out of range of each other (we just get a little static). I am a technichly inclined do-it-yourselfer, and i'm thinking about running a wire up a tall tree in my yard, and wrapping the other end around the antenna of my radio. Do you know if this would help, and what wire would be the best type to use?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Me and my buddy use radios to communicate frequently, but our houses are just barely out of range of each other (we just get a little static). I am a technichly inclined do-it-yourselfer, and i'm thinking about running a wire up a tall tree in my yard, and wrapping the other end around the antenna of my radio. Do you know if this would help, and what wire would be the best type to use?

Google " Passive uhf on glass antennas"

That's your easy solution. ;)

n9zas

gewecke

Banned
No. Passive on glass antennas have no cable or direct connection attached but radiate the rf from your talkie when it's nearfield to the antenna. ;)

n9zas

D

DaveNF2G

That would be a great invitation to lightning and other static discharges to come right to your radio.

gewecke

Banned
For the op, here's some reading for a solution to what you want to do. As others have said, wrapping wire around your antenna won't work.
But this might,

Patent US6690330 - Glass-mounted coupler and passive glass-mounted antenna for satellite radio ... - Google Patents

It looks like this (but the coiled antenna will be only 5" long).

http://www.google.com/patents/EP0458592A2?cl=en

I would suggest modifying a cellular on glass passive antenna by unscrewing the antenna that comes with it and cutting it to about 5" then screw it back on to the mount and attach it to the highest single pane window you have access to. Keep your talkie within three feet of the inside of the mount where the 2 horizontal antennas stick out.

If both of you have one of these, it should be some improvement. ;)
n9zas

Last edited:

dksac2

Get on the roof of your house. Height is your best friend when using GMRS bubble pack radios. Better yet, buy a pair of GMRS radios with removable antennas and more power, then you can put an antenna as high as 20' taller than your house as long as it's connected to your house.

When you get tired of trying to reach friends with GMRS, go get your Technician Ham License, then you can really talk, especially if there is a repeater or two in the area.

John

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
Get on the roof of your house. Height is your best friend when using GMRS bubble pack radios. Better yet, buy a pair of GMRS radios with removable antennas and more power, then you can put an antenna as high as 20' taller than your house as long as it's connected to your house.

When you get tired of trying to reach friends with GMRS, go get your Technician Ham License, then you can really talk, especially if there is a repeater or two in the area.

John

Amateur radio might be overkill if he simply wants to talk to his neighbor. :D

n9zas

bill4long

MURS could be a good solution. No license. 2 watts. External antennas allowed. (Up to 60 feet high!) You could put up a small antenna outside and be full copy or close to it. You could get two Wouxun radios for MURS, about $100 each. (Don't use the ones for Amateur radio since they are not type accepted for MURS.) Comes with Lithium Ion battery and quick charger. Of course, the radios are a bit more expensive than FRS bubble pack crapola. But they will be good radios. You probably won't even need an external antenna if you can already "almost hear each other" with the FRS junk, which at best put our 500 milliwatts and on 462 Mhz, which is more sketchy than 151/154 Mhz where MURS resides.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
MURS could be a good solution. No license. 2 watts. External antennas allowed. (Up to 60 feet high!) You could put up a small antenna outside and be full copy or close to it. You could get two Wouxun radios for MURS, about $100 each. (Don't use the ones for Amateur radio since they are not type accepted for MURS.) Comes with Lithium Ion battery and quick charger. Of course, the radios are a bit more expensive than FRS bubble pack crapola. But they will be good radios. You probably won't even need an external antenna if you can already "almost hear each other" with the FRS junk, which at best put our 500 milliwatts and on 462 Mhz, which is more sketchy than 151/154 Mhz where MURS resides.

Wouxun are not type accepted for MURS either........

SCPD

QRT
The ones made for ham radio are not. The ones that are made specifically for Land Mobile are type accepted.

The ones for Ham and part 90 are one in the same,the only part 95 Wouxun makes is branded Powerworx or a different spelling there of but only for the UHF GMRS band,

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

What Wouxun model number(s) are certified under Part 95 for MURS?
I've seen MURS radios by Dakota Alert and Intercomsonline. I have a Dakota Alert HT, I haven't taken more than a cursory glance at Intercomsonline.

Status
Not open for further replies.