• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS/FRS License confusion - What's true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfgiantsradio

I have read that you need a license to use 462.5625-462.7125. I have also heard that you don't need a license. Does anyone have the real answer? I think that we all need the real answer.

I think that you do need a license. What do you think?

Thanks

SkipSanders

Silent Key
There are FRS frequencies, and GMRS frequencies. 7 of those frequencies are shared by both services.

On the shared frequencies, both may operate, and may talk to each other, as well. However, FRS stations on those frequencies are still limited to half a watt, and fixed antennas. GMRS stations on those 7 channels are limited to 5 watts.

Operation on the GMRS-only frequencies, or on the shared frequencies with more than a half watt, or with a removable antenna or external antenna, requires a GMRS license.

hockeyshrink

I have read that you need a license to use 462.5625-462.7125. I have also heard that you don't need a license. Does anyone have the real answer? I think that we all need the real answer.

I think that you do need a license. What do you think?

Thanks

I think, think of it in terms of the equipment you are using:

-- Bubble pack FRS/GMRS radio (500mw, fixed antenna) - no license

-- Part 90 radio programmed to GMRS frequencies (variable wattage to 50 max, removable antenna for external connection) - license required

Does that work?

N

N_Jay

I think, think of it in terms of the equipment you are using:

-- Bubble pack FRS/GMRS radio (500mw, fixed antenna) - no license

-- Part 90 radio programmed to GMRS frequencies (variable wattage to 50 max, removable antenna for external connection) - license required

Does that work?

Close.

Bubble pack FRS/GMRS radios on FRS or shared FRS/GMRS channels > No License
Any radio (Including FRS/GMRS pubble pack radios) on GMRS only channels > License
Part 90, Part 87 (Ham), or Part 95 (GMRS) radios on FRS only frequencies > Not legal
Part 87 (Ham) radios on any GMRS frequency > Not legal

hockeyshrink

Close.

Any radio (Including FRS/GMRS pubble pack radios) on GMRS only channels > License
Part 90, Part 87 (Ham), or Part 95 (GMRS) radios on FRS only frequencies > Not legal

Roger roger....leave it to the US Government to take something fairly straightforward, like a GMRS service, and totally turn it into a confusing mishmosh of muck

ty N_Jay

N

N_Jay

Roger roger....leave it to the US Government to take something fairly straightforward, like a GMRS service, and totally turn it into a confusing mishmosh of muck

ty N_Jay

Would you prefer they left it clear and simple? No FRS, and all GMRS needs a license?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Close.

Ham is Part 97, not 87.

ArtU

Would you prefer they left it clear and simple? No FRS, and all GMRS needs a license?

I think it would be someday the reverse; GMRS is like the old Class "A" UHF CB from the 60s.

Class "D" CB was 11 meters. Folks forget "CB" had four classes when it was created.

My forecast is as years pass, all FRS/GMRS will be license free some day shortly. The manufactures are pushing this and do it by making radios that require a GMRS license, sell them to anyone; but most folks never get the licenses. Just like the old days; once it gets all out of hand, they just will drop the license like they did with class "D".

ArtU

N

N_Jay

I think it would be someday the reverse; GMRS is like the old Class "A" UHF CB from the 60s.
It is exactly that, and it needed a license then also.

Class "D" CB was 11 meters. Folks forget "CB" had four classes when it was created.

My forecast is as years pass, all FRS/GMRS will be license free some day shortly. The manufactures are pushing this and do it by making radios that require a GMRS license, sell them to anyone; but most folks never get the licenses. Just like the old days; once it gets all out of hand, they just will drop the license like they did with class "D".

ArtU

My forecast is as years pass, all FRS/GMRS will be license free some day shortly.
I hope not.

The manufactures are pushing this and do it by making radios that require a GMRS license, sell them to anyone; but most folks never get the licenses.
Except those radios don't do repeaters and are (mostly) low power.

Just like the old days; once it gets all out of hand, they just will drop the license like they did with class "D".
Maybe not. Maybe the FCC has learned. (maybe?)

SkipSanders

Silent Key
The most likely thing if they remove the license, is that they'll remove repeaters, too. And remove 45 watts. Welcome to 5 watt simplex. If you're lucky, you might be allowed a removable/external antenna.

ArtU

It is exactly that, and it needed a license then also.

I hope not.

Except those radios don't do repeaters and are (mostly) low power.

Maybe not. Maybe the FCC has learned. (maybe?)

What has the FCC learned? It learned that it saved money and hassle by not requiring licensing. Manufactures learned non-licensing means more profits and more sales.

Why do you think MURS and FRS was created by the manufactures on frequencies that needed license in the past? Manufactures lobby FCC for less rules for more sales. More sales produce products with more features.

Have you ever been involved with the radio wholesale or retail business?

nhscannerman

What has the FCC learned? It learned that it saved money and hassle by not requiring licensing. Manufactures learned non-licensing means more profits and more sales.

Why do you think MURS and FRS was created by the manufactures on frequencies that needed license in the past? Manufactures lobby FCC for less rules for more sales. More sales produce products with more features.

OK let me put it this way. I say have the FCC make private channels for the FRS and leave the GMRS frequencies alone

ArtU

OK let me put it this way. I say have the FCC make private channels for the FRS and leave the GMRS frequencies alone

That would be nice for all of us, which is why it probably won't happen according to my Prognostication :(

I hope I am wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.