• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS/FRS/MURS Texting Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
What devices are currently available that allow texting? I recall that the discontinued TriSquare devices had a texting mode. I have read that Garmin RINO radios will do it. Also, the Motorola DTR410/550/650 will. Are there others? What about Nextel Direct Talk? Is there any way to make them text unit to unit? Is the range for texting the same as voice?

rapidcharger

The Trisquare radios and Motorola DTR radios are in 900mhz personal radio services not in the GMRS, FRS or MURS radio services.
Data is not allowed in GMRS so the radios capable of text messaging are not going to be legal there.
Data is allowed in MURS, however the radios that would be capable of sending and receiving data are unfortunately not certified to legally use in that radio service.... At least, I've never seen one. As it is, there's not even that many certified for just voice let alone data.
Data is allowed in the FRS too. If you can find a Rino that does it, I'd say that's probably the only one certified to do that.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What devices are currently available that allow texting? I recall that the discontinued TriSquare devices had a texting mode. I have read that Garmin RINO radios will do it. Also, the Motorola DTR410/550/650 will. Are there others? What about Nextel Direct Talk? Is there any way to make them text unit to unit? Is the range for texting the same as voice?

This is what I suggest, as long as you limit texts to Frs channels only;

GARMIN Rino 530HCx 2-Way Radio with GPS/FRS/GMRS 010-00564-01 ? Walmart.com

n9zas

quarterwave

"What about Nextel Direct Talk? Is there any way to make them text unit to unit?"

No.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Nextel has been non-extent for a few years now.

Be that as it may, DirectTalk never did need infrastructure to operate and will continue to do so until batteries are no longer available. You can make unit to unit voice calls all day long, but no data like SMS is available. The compatible devices are still very popular and useful.

Dantian

The Trisquare radios and Motorola DTR radios are in 900mhz personal radio services not in the GMRS, FRS or MURS radio services./QUOTE]

Just for the sake of accuracy ...

There are no 900 MHz personal radio services.

After working on it since 1979, the FCC rejected the idea of putting a personal radio service in the 900 MHz band in late 1984.

Those 900 MHz radios are Part 15 devices, which are not radio services and have no licenses or operator rules.

D

DaveNF2G

Are you sure data is allowed on FRS but not GMRS? They fall under the same Part of the FCC rules and those rules are much more restrictive for FRS.

EmilyWolf

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Trisquare radios and Motorola DTR radios are in 900mhz personal radio services not in the GMRS, FRS or MURS radio services.
Data is not allowed in GMRS so the radios capable of text messaging are not going to be legal there.
Data is allowed in MURS, however the radios that would be capable of sending and receiving data are unfortunately not certified to legally use in that radio service.... At least, I've never seen one. As it is, there's not even that many certified for just voice let alone data.
Data is allowed in the FRS too. If you can find a Rino that does it, I'd say that's probably the only one certified to do that.

Trisquare is garbage unless you need toy like radios just for light use. The dtrs are amazing. Having a tech license is more amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.