GMRS/FRS - Need License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Just purchased a couple of two-way radios for camping use for family. It stated that if I use channels 1-7 or 15-22 in "High or med power" that I have to be licenhsed by the FCC. The seller stated that i "DID NOT NEED ANY LICENSES" when I purchased the radios.

Does this mean that I can only use the radios in channels 8-14 on LOW POWER (which is what is stataed as the automatic power setting for these channels)? Thanks.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
hcpholder said:
Just purchased a couple of two-way radios for camping use for family. It stated that if I use channels 1-7 or 15-22 in "High or med power" that I have to be licenhsed by the FCC. The seller stated that i "DID NOT NEED ANY LICENSES" when I purchased the radios.

Does this mean that I can only use the radios in channels 8-14 on LOW POWER (which is what is stataed as the automatic power setting for these channels)? Thanks.

GMRS - License needed.

FRS - No license needed.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Amplifying, yes, you may only use the 'low power only' channels without a license, legally.

The license costs $85 for five years, and covers all members of your family.

trace1

hcpholder said:
It stated that if I use channels 1-7 or 15-22 in "High or med power" that I have to be licenhsed by the FCC.

YES, for the GMRS channels ( "High or med power") you will need the proper FCC license which as already been stated cost $85 for 5 years and covers your entire family.

hcpholder said:
The seller stated that i "DID NOT NEED ANY LICENSES" when I purchased the radios.

Most sellers have no idea what they are talking about in regards to the use of and licensing requirements of those FRS/GMRS hybrid radios.

hcpholder said:

If you do not get the GMRS license, then YES you can only use the "LOW POWER" channels legally...

Now of course you're sure to be told by some that you'll never get caught if you don't have a license and to go ahead and transmit on any channel you wish.

That decision will be left entirely up to you.

kc8qch

Technically, The radios you have are GMRS radios (FRS is a subpart of the GMRS) since you have the ability to transmit on other GMRS Frequencies. so Technically you would need a license to operate on any of the channels on those radios. Will anyone care/know if you are using those radios at low power and just use the FRS Channels? No. Do most people do it? Of course. Most will assume you are on stricly FRS radios. Just something to keep in the back of your mind....

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all of the help and references. I consider this thread "closed" (wish I knew how to delete it!).

Astro25

Eh, kinda like high power on CB. Illegal yes, but will anyone care? Probably not.

I know, not the right answer. Just my .02

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
kc8qch said:
Technically, The radios you have are GMRS radios (FRS is a subpart of the GMRS) since you have the ability to transmit on other GMRS Frequencies. so Technically you would need a license to operate on any of the channels on those radios. Will anyone care/know if you are using those radios at low power and just use the FRS Channels? No. Do most people do it? Of course. Most will assume you are on stricly FRS radios. Just something to keep in the back of your mind....

Only need a license to use the GMRS channels. No need for a license to use the low power FRS channels, even though they are all in the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.