• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS/FRS Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I wonder why and still have no answer as to why the GMRS forum gets bombarded with post about fire dept radio use of a Baofeng or topics regarding 900MHZ/Trisquare/Nextel direct talk and other topics which are in no way related to GMRS.

I have asked for those to be moved to the proper place and haven't received a reply as of yet.Let a GMRS discussion or other non-related discussion be posted per say in the amateur section you are told to move it or it is moved for you.

I would like to know why one forum is more important than any other,maybe we will be advised as to why before long and why this practice is being allowed as it seems to have become a regular practice lately...William

Last edited:

dksac2

Well, they are talking about GMRS radios.
I think what you are seeing is people who are volunteer fireman in counties that don't provide much in the way of equipment and they are looking for a cheap way to get communications. Of course, GMRS is a very bad choice as are the radio's they are asking about. But I think that is why you are seeing the questions you are.
I feel sorry for those guys, a fireman should be supplied with a good radio, one that will always work and take the heat, water and not have buttons on the radio that could change or lock out their frequency in the middle of a fire.

73's John

rapidcharger

Some might wonder why this wasn't posted in the "rants" room. :D I'm just sayin'.

My guess is there is no designated room for "baofengs" or "chinese radios for fire fighting" or "900mhz personal part 15 devices" So those posts end up everywhere not just here. People probably see other posts in here on the subject and figure this is as good a place as any.

SCPD

QRT
I wonder why and still have no answer as to why the GMRS forum gets bombarded with post about fire dept radio use of a Baofeng or topics regarding 900MHZ/Trisquare/Nextel direct talk and other topics which are in no way related to GMRS.

I have asked for those to be moved to the proper place and haven't received a reply as of yet.Let a GMRS discussion or other non-related discussion be posted per say in the amateur section you are told to move it or it is moved for you.

I would like to know why one forum is more important than any other,maybe we will be advised as to why before long and why this practice is being allowed as it seems to have become a regular practice lately...William

The off topic posts are being moved...Thank you Moderators!!

SCPD

QRT
Some might wonder why this wasn't posted in the "rants" room. :D I'm just sayin'.

My guess is there is no designated room for "baofengs" or "chinese radios for fire fighting" or "900mhz personal part 15 devices" So those posts end up everywhere not just here. People probably see other posts in here on the subject and figure this is as good a place as any.

"baofengs" or "chinese radios for fire fighting was moved to the appropriate forum....Thank You!!!

SCPD

QRT

FYI: My post is in regards to the GMRS forum and is about GMRS but you are entitled to your own interpretation.

CaptDan

Fired dept using cheap radio's

I cannot speak for anyone else - but here in NJ the local FD supplies all of the officers with radios and each truck has a portable for whomever responds and is I guess a team leader - to use on the fire grounds as they go about fighting the fire.

Several members purchase their own inexpensive radios - both hand held and mobile radios - so they can also communicate with each other - usually at events other than an actual working fire. While monitoring some of the local volunteer FD frequencies - right or wrong - I hear people chating away as if it was a FRS radio. I guess the local FD permits it, as the local fire company is the licensee for the frequency.

Just sharing what I have learned here in NJ

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Having a forum for 900MHz/ISM radios would be cool. I'd like to know more about digital FHSS without searching.
This would be the forum for ISM. Even though the forum description doesn't list it I feel it's a topic that would fall in to a category similar to FRS.

If the OP is asking the Mod staff then questions like that should normally go in the Forums Admin forum. Otherwise we'll assume it's for the forum collective to read and respond to.

DPD1

Didn't there use to be a MURS sub cat? Was there not enough activity on that? There's quite a few devices that use that now days.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
No, not that I recall. MURS is one of those topics I want to say should go in the Industry forum due to some shared use of the freqs by business (like FRS using GMRS freqs).

I'm open for different view points. I just want to keep devices that transmit out of the GenScan forum and keep Industry more professional. Worst case location would be OT Wireless in the Tavern for ISM and the like.

If you guys feel this forum should be strictly GMRS/FRS then let me know.

fdscan

I personally don't see what the big deal is if we have some 900 ISM stuff in here, as well as MURS and what not.

It doesn't have to be STRICTLY GMRS and FRS and that's it.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

IMO, either:
1) change GMRS/FRS to GMRS/FRS/MURS (or MURS/GMRS/FRS); or
2) start a new MURS forum to compliment the GMRS/FRS and CB forums; or
3) have a Part 95 forum, and further sub-divide it into seperate CB, MURS, and GMRS/FRS sub-forums; or
4) simply just put all of the CB, MURS and GMRS/FRS threads into a Part 95 forum.

I don't know if there's enough interest to have a Part 15 forum to talk about the Motorola DTRS radios and the TriSquare radios, as well as 49MHz, Low Frequency Experimental (LOWFER), and Medium Frequency Experimental (MEDFER) (is there High Frequency Experimental, or HIFER, in Part 15?) topics, or if they should be in the Off Topic Wireless forum of the Tavern, which may not be as easily found as a specific Part 15 forum. Which is probably why they end up in the GMRS/FRS forum to begin with.
Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Darth_vader

"1) Change GMRS/FRS to GMRS/FRS/MURS (or MURS/GMRS/FRS)"

+1

"3) Make a Part 95 forum, and further sub-divide it into seperate CB, MURS, and GMRS/FRS sub-forums;
4) Simply move all of the CB, MURS and GMRS/FRS threads into a Part 95 forum.
"

Dumping the CB forum in with the other "big three" would not be a good idea, since CB is such a vast and diverse topic unto itself. The forum would eventually become excessively cluttered were that to happen, unless a division as suggested in line #3 were to be implemented. #1 seems the most practical and least disruptive, as it really only involves a simple name change to the existing forum.

And yeah, I'm also surprised that a site like this doesn't have a forum dealling with part 15 related topics.

SCPD

QRT
No, not that I recall. MURS is one of those topics I want to say should go in the Industry forum due to some shared use of the freqs by business (like FRS using GMRS freqs).

I'm open for different view points. I just want to keep devices that transmit out of the GenScan forum and keep Industry more professional. Worst case location would be OT Wireless in the Tavern for ISM and the like.

If you guys feel this forum should be strictly GMRS/FRS then let me know.

Wayne,

I think the discussion should stay on topic for what the forum was designed for GMRS/FRS and other topics such as Baofenf radios and other radios that have no impact on a GMRS discussion should not be discussed on this forum ,particularly equipment that is illegal to use on GMRS.I do see where the addition would be a good idea since it is a part 95 device also and to consolidate all part 95 sections together in a GMRS/FRS/MURS would be a excellent idea without the need to start another forum for all 3 services.

I think we are here to provide support to users who ask questions and not refer them to equipment that is against FCC rules and others who condone and encourage illegal use,tell others the FCC will not catch you and you do not need a license and discourage other from getting a license or the installation of equipment based on rumors or their opinion and begin off topic discussions about anything but GMRS/FRS.

This is my opinion and I stand behind it and says in regards to what your thoughts are Wayne...William

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Let's keep MURS with FRS/GMRS and have somewhere else to politely points folks at for other inquiries.

How about a couple of stickies: First one could be a list of Part 95 approved radios and a list of non-approved ones. Several of us could contribute to it. That should cut down a lot of the "Is this or that radio ok for GMRS?" type questions. Those of us who participate here regularly would have to agree to point folks at the sticky and to do whatever we can to promote this. It could also include info on how to look up a radio's type acceptance.

Second, how about a statement similar to the Motorola software one that pretty much says we're here for legit discussions only. It additionally should state what this forum is for, and where to go for other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.