GMRS / FRS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to ask if there is any GMRS / FRS repeaters in and around the Edmonton area ? Do people use GMRS / FRS much in Alberta ? Much traffic on the frequencies ?

Are there any websites that list the repeaters in the Edmonton area ?

Thanks

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And with illegal to have removable antennas, the transmit/receive distance is extremely limited especially in an urban centre. Even rural distance is 2-3 kms unless from 1 mountain top to another. Very hard to tell if busy as this distance defeats listening. Most of the action I have heard in Alberta is around camping facilities.

mmisk

There was a GMRS repeater in Ottawa, will have to check to see if it is still on the air.
It seems that this sort of thing is not enforced.

PriorMike

I'm sure there is probably a few in the country in operation, and people using commercial radios on GMRS despite the regulations. If they're not causing interference or no one complains...

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Just wanted to ask if there is any GMRS / FRS repeaters in and around the Edmonton area ? Do people use GMRS / FRS much in Alberta ? Much traffic on the frequencies ?

Are there any websites that list the repeaters in the Edmonton area ?

Thanks

As others have stated, repeaters are not allows on GMRS in Canada.

In and around the Edmonton area you will likely hear some activity.

ISED has licensed a DMR repeater on on 462.7250(I believe) on the east side of Edmonton. It’s installed at the NARC VE6HM site on one the west facing 310-C2 about 60’ up, to one of the oil companies. It is operating under LMR rules, not GMRS.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
As others have stated, repeaters are not allows on GMRS in Canada.

In and around the Edmonton area you will likely hear some activity.

ISED has licensed a DMR repeater on on 462.7250(I believe) on the east side of Edmonton. It’s installed at the NARC VE6HM site on one the west facing 310-C2 about 60’ up, to one of the oil companies. It is operating under LMR rules, not GMRS.
And it has been licensed since 1998 so could be grandfathered. Not surprisingly, it shows emission as analog [but that doesn't mean much].

Status
Not open for further replies.