• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS license questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,I have some questions about the GMRS.I mainly stick to scanners and ham radio so I don't know much about GMRS.

I wanted to know how much the current fee is to get a GMRS license? And what are the exact rules on using a GMRS radio? I don't need all the rules,just the main upfront ones.Also I read that the FCC was going to get rid of the fee to get a GMRS license,or was it getting rid of needing a license?

nayr

$80 for 5yr license

Call sign is valid for all family members use, allows use of 8 GMRS only channels up to 50W and handhelds on the 7 GMRS+FRS Shared channels can use 5W. The rest is pretty basic, nothing obscene, broadcast your call sign when using it (every 15mins if I recall) and no commercial use.. now of course thats just a quick rundown.

FCC is considering dropping the license requirements if I recall correctly, which would drop the fee of course. Nobody knows when/if this could happen, other changes could come along with it (mainly less power output).. but there's a good chance anyone with a paid license will be grandfathered in at least a little while. I wouldn't hold your breath, it could take years for the FCC to announce a change that will be years away from the announcement its self.

-R

2wayfreq

I think it should be $40.00 for 5 Years, $80.00 for 10 Years, that's a bit more fair. I thought I heard a rumor that they might do away with the whole licensing of GMRS anyway, true?

K9WG

SCPD

QRT
frs is already license free so no need to have gmrs license free also

I agree Redneck,this was just a FCC screw up as usual combining 2 radio services into one and thinking people would license themselves,knowing good and well people have lost all morals and self respect to do what is right anymore,It may be a rule but it is flushed down the drain like the rest,for those who do not like my comments get over it, legal is legal and illegal is just that illegal,same as driving without a license same difference but people get up in arms about that but let it be a radio they say " it doesn't hurt anybody" and driving with no license doesn't hurt anybody either.

Status
Not open for further replies.