GMRS Licensing for HAMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimab

Premium Subscriber
Is a person required to obtain an FCC GMRS license ($80!) if they are licensed Amateur Radio op?

K0AZV

n3ncn said:
Alot of companys ,public service such as REACT use GMRS. All you do is fill out the form and send 80 dollars and your done. no biggie.
GMRS licenses, unless grandfathered, are only issued to individuals. That was a change made in the rules during the 90's.

Dimad: GMRS is covered under Part 95 (same as CB), Amateur is Part 97. Your amateur license does not give you rights to use GMRS freqs. You will need to get a seperate license in order to operate legally on GMRS. FRS, the unlicensed service that shares some GMRS freq's, is limited to 500mw power output.

JESSERABBIT: it is a 5 year term on a GMRS license.

Max...

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi N_Jay and all,

As a ham I don't see the need to have GMRS, FRS or CB Tinker Toys, nor did I see the need for these extra words. Es claro a mismo señor?

roadranger

Good point

kb2vxa said:
Hi N_Jay and all,

As a ham I don't see the need to have GMRS, FRS or CB Tinker Toys, nor did I see the need for these extra words. Es claro a mismo señor?
I've been listening to these frequncies for a while and there doesn't seem to be anyone (in my area) who is interested in learning anything in these bands to enhance their personal knowledge of the radio services,or to be of service to the local community like the Hams.

N

N_Jay

kb2vxa said:
Hi N_Jay and all,

That is what I thought you meant, but some might have though you were saying you did not need a license to use GMRS.

As a ham I see lots of reasons to have a GMRS license so I can legally use GMRS radios with family and friends.

N

N_Jay

roadranger said:
I've been listening to these frequncies for a while and there doesn't seem to be anyone (in my area) who is interested in learning anything in these bands to enhance their personal knowledge of the radio services,or to be of service to the local community like the Hams.
Maybe those frequencies are not for "learning" or "Community service".

Maybe they are for family (and friends) communications.:roll:

pfish

Premium Subscriber
kb2vxa said:
I don''t see the need.

dangitdoug said:
Does the term "Federal Law" ring any bells????
I think he means he doesn't see the need for a licensed Ham to want/get a GMRS license. I know I wouldn't, waste of money for something thats hardly developed in this area.

traumacop

kb2vxa said:
Hi N_Jay and all,

I do.

1. There are too many small businesses operating using bubble pack radios in the GMRS/FRS segment illegally.

2. I love it when my son keys up the mike and smokes the people listed in #1 to say something like "Superman (him) to Hero (me), Justice (our lab) won't go pee.

The GMRS license for the one time fee of $80 covers everyone in my family for 5 years which is very economical since I have 5 kids and grandma is always in tow when we go on vacation. I can't do that with my ham license.

Can you hear me now?

dimab, If your looking into getting your GMRS license, a good handheld is the Icom F4GT. It is a type accepted radio that in an emergency can be programmed/reprogrammed off of the face of the radio.

Last edited:

cellblock776

If you are going to get a GMRS license forget the little bubble pack toys and spend the money on a decent, REAL radio. You can use up to 50 watts for mobile or base operations and you can find nice 4 watt HTs to use portable. Many are repeater capable if you have a GMRS repeater nearby to use.
Stop by the Popular Wireless fourms ( http://www.popularwireless.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true ) and learn where the locals are and what you need to get on the air.

dimab

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the info folks.

I have my Tech license, and a VX-6R to boot. I won't be buying any GMRS/FRS rigs, but I was thinking towards vacation time/camping/outdoors. I won't be paying $80 for another license, as the FCC already has enough of my money.
I don't see how a test-less, non-enforceable license does anything except pay the FCC. Businesses that already use these frequencies, will continue to use them, and nothing will ever come of it.

EDIT:
some folks here get too workd up over federal laws and such. I just worry about myself, and let others worry about their own actions. Helps me live longer, and I've got bigger things to worry about.

Last edited:

n4voxgill

Silent Key
dimab said:
thanks for the info folks.

I have my Tech license, and a VX-6R to boot. I won't be buying any GMRS/FRS rigs, but I was thinking towards vacation time/camping/outdoors. I won't be paying $80 for another license, as the FCC already has enough of my money. I.
I have an extra class license and have never paid the FCC one cent. What have you paid the FCC for, unless you voluntarily applied for a vanity callsign?

N

N_Jay

n4voxgill said:
I have an extra class license and have never paid the FCC one cent. What have you paid the FCC for, unless you voluntarily applied for a vanity callsign?
Given his understanding of FCC rules, I would guess he "bought" his ham ticket!:roll: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.