• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

GMRS Licensing for HAMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSERABBIT

K0AZV said:
GMRS licenses, unless grandfathered, are only issued to individuals. That was a change made in the rules during the 90's.

Dimad: GMRS is covered under Part 95 (same as CB), Amateur is Part 97. Your amateur license does not give you rights to use GMRS freqs. You will need to get a seperate license in order to operate legally on GMRS. FRS, the unlicensed service that shares some GMRS freq's, is limited to 500mw power output.

JESSERABBIT: it is a 5 year term on a GMRS license.

Max...

Thank you.

dimab

Premium Subscriber
n4voxgill said:
I have an extra class license and have never paid the FCC one cent. What have you paid the FCC for, unless you voluntarily applied for a vanity callsign?
when I took my test, it cost $14. looks like it cost me $14 to get licensed after all.

dimab

Premium Subscriber
N_Jay said:
Given his understanding of FCC rules, I would guess he "bought" his ham ticket!:roll: :lol: :twisted: :lol:
1. I know my rules when it comes to HAM operations, which is what the FCC requires.
2. I don't sit and read every rule of the FCC handbook. Thats not my kind of fun.
3. Instead of reading boring long winded FCC articles, I decided to ask here. Not sure how that shows my knowledge of the FCC rules.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Dim and all,

"when I took my test, it cost $14. looks like it cost me $14 to get licensed after all."

That was the VE fee, the license costs nothing unless you apply for a vanity callsign.

"1. I know my rules when it comes to HAM operations, which is what the FCC requires."

I'm not so sure about that.

"2. I don't sit and read every rule of the FCC handbook. Thats not my kind of fun."

Then you admit you don't know the rules and number 1 is a lie.

"3. Instead of reading boring long winded FCC articles, I decided to ask here. Not sure how that shows my knowledge of the FCC rules."

I'm sure it shows your ignorance of the rules and haven't kept abreast of changes as per the FCC requirement.

SCPD

pfish said:
I think he means he doesn't see the need for a licensed Ham to want/get a GMRS license. I know I wouldn't, waste of money for something thats hardly developed in this area.
Then develop it. GMRS is very popular in some areas, mine included. We got the word out and it can become very popular with families.

See what we've done... www.laggroup.com

pfish

Premium Subscriber
laggroup said:
Then develop it. GMRS is very popular in some areas, mine included. We got the word out and it can become very popular with families.

See what we've done... www.laggroup.com
No thanks. No interest. I have an amateur license and that's all I feel the need for. Not worth the $80 to do the same thing I already do with my ham license.

okccsi

pfish said:
I think he means he doesn't see the need for a licensed Ham to want/get a GMRS license. I know I wouldn't, waste of money for something thats hardly developed in this area.
Let me tell you why I see a need for it. I have 5 small boys and one on the way. My two oldest have a pretty good run of the neighborhood. Currently, we have 6 GMRS radios, and they have a decent range given the number of house in the area. However, with GMRS, I can actually use a repeater, I can buy a base unit, and I can put an antenna on my tower.

The beauty of the GMRS is the the little handhelds with their built in antenna's can transmit and receive exceptionally well to a base unit. Numerous tests have been done on these radios by people looking for real answers about their capabilities compared to FRS radio's.

One test shows that with two GMRS radio's they were able to vastly improve transmit and receive capabilities just by putting an aftermarket antenna on one of the handhelds. They achieved a distance of 6 miles over open water, and upwards of 5 miles on roads, cities etc.

With antenna on my tower, which is at about 35 feet, I can effectively extend that range up to about 12 miles. Are my kids going to be 12 miles away? No. They go up to 5 or 6 streets over in the neighborhood and with that setup I get crystal clear transmissions. Being GMRS, I don't have to worry about getting my 9y/o a ham license. They can take their radio's to school and let my wife know when they are on the way home. The kids love having the radio's because they can be at different friend's homes and talk to each other.

I think it is a great service compared to the normal FRS radio's. If you bring in repeater's you can seriously extend the range obviously. Like ham, you can easily get a communications system setup to cover a prescribed area in the event that normal communications were not available.

I guess it is pretty much what you make it and what you want to do with it. It works for me, and I am happy with it.

OKC CSI

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yes yes good good

GMRS is better than FRS. Higher power available, better antennas, may get lucky and have a repeater in your area that you can use.

Well duh. That's like looking outside and saying "the sky is blue". Quite a talent for stating the obvious.

Then there's the ever amusing stickler-for-the-rules crowd which brings endless hours of mirth and mayhem.

There are rules and then there's reality.

CB Radio: It still has rules but the FCC doesn't care, or cares very little, they aren't listening and there's miniscule enforcement.

Same can be said of low power GMRS handheld use. Big Brother is streaching out his hand saying "senda me da money" and some folks do.

$80 for 5 years ? I don't think so. But that's just my opinion. I would think about it if was much less for much longer.

FCC ain't listening, doesn't care, there is little or no enforcement. Moving low power short range handheld units are essentially impossible for the FCC to track and they'd have to be in your neighborhood. Forgeddabbouitt

Buy and talk

jeffy

Contact

I've thought off and on for years of getting radios for my our family. Very handy imo. No not for everybody... especially the folks that look down on such things as toys and whatnot. My oldest daughter lives 2 miles away (1 mile as the crow flies over the woods)... When the phones are out and family outings are my main reason for maybe buying them. I respect radio operations no matter the level as long as the communicating is done with respect and dignity. The CB freqs. were/are abused terribly but not everyone using a CB is a jerk. For some it's their only communications tool.

N

N_Jay

ReceiverBeaver said:
. . . .FCC ain't listening, doesn't care, there is little or no enforcement. Moving low power short range handheld units are essentially impossible for the FCC to track and they'd have to be in your neighborhood. Forgeddabbouitt

Buy and talk
Great attitude.

Why not just buy ham gear and talk?

It's the same law and the same fine!

Character is doing whats right when no one is looking!

SCPD

pfish said:
No thanks. No interest. I have an amateur license and that's all I feel the need for. Not worth the $80 to do the same thing I already do with my ham license.
I can agree with this, however, my family uses GMRS all the time, and have no interest in ham tests and random chat. So do many of our other families. Plus, we can talk about business and proprietary things on there that one cannot on ham. Its one of those things that if you want to use it and have a need, you will. If not, there you are. I have a ham license too, but each service serves its purpose thus the reason I licensed in both. Not to mention my GMRS repeaters are a lot busier than many of the local hammy equipment and work a lot better too!

SCPD

ReceiverBeaver said:
Yes yes good good

GMRS is better than FRS. Higher power available, better antennas, may get lucky and have a repeater in your area that you can use. Well duh. That's like looking outside and saying "the sky is blue". Quite a talent for stating the obvious. Then there's the ever amusing stickler-for-the-rules crowd which brings endless hours of mirth and mayhem.
There are rules and then there's reality. CB Radio: It still has rules but the FCC doesn't care, or cares very little, they aren't listening and there's miniscule enforcement. Same can be said of low power GMRS handheld use. Big Brother is streaching out his hand saying "senda me da money" and some folks do. $80 for 5 years ? I don't think so. But that's just my opinion. I would think about it if was much less for much longer.
FCC ain't listening, doesn't care, there is little or no enforcement. Moving low power short range handheld units are essentially impossible for the FCC to track and they'd have to be in your neighborhood. Forgeddabbouitt
Buy and talk

I bet there are quite a few people that have recieved NAL's who would beg to differ with you. http://www.popularwireless.com/pra/PRA_ENFletters.html

jmp883

Interesting thread here.....

I've been a radio buff since I knew what a radio was. I'm a scanner buff, licensed ham, and work as a public safety dispatcher.

I never seriously thought about GMRS/FRS radios before, except as expensive walkie-talkie's for the kids to play with. Then I spent my last 2 days off working in the county sheriff command post bus using FRS radios to coordinate the civilian volunteers working at the county fair. We had volunteers manning crossing guard posts, parking lot/traffic posts, and various other posts throughout the fair. Each volunteer was given a Motorola FRS radio and a radio designator based on his/her post. In the command bus one of the Motorola public safety radios has the FRS frequency we use programmed into it.

All county fair communications were via the FRS, and with one exception they worked very well. That one exception was a post that was over a mile away in a heavily wooded area, and at a lower level from where the command post bus was located. That post could hear us but we couldn't hear him. The solution was to put a volunteer who was a licensed ham at that post. Our county RACES repeater is also in the same park as the fair was being held in and once we put the ham at that post communications were fine. The command post bus has a 2m/70cm amateur radio to facilitate ARES and RACES communications, giving the command post added communications flexibility.

GMRS/FRS definitely has a place in the radio world, it's just for each radio user to determine whether it's for them or not. :D

Last edited:

JESSERABBIT

I got my Novice lic back in the late 70s. Test was given by the instructor at the end of the classes. No charge. Got the General ticket about 2 years later at FCC in Wash., D.C.. Passed it on 1st try. Still no charge. I guess I will have to start paying now, although several VECs in the Wash D.C. area are now announcing no money required for taking any test. They have the true spirit of volunteerisim. I like that, not because I'm cheap, but because of their dedication to the service. If I use one of them, I will certainly offer something for their efforts.

N

N_Jay

jmp883 said:
. . . . . . In the command bus one of the Motorola public safety radios has the FRS frequency we use programmed into it. . . . . . .
To listen only, I assume? :roll: :roll: :roll: :evil: :evil: :evil:

trace1

Two Different Services

Yes I know we all know that GMRS and HAM are two different services and that’s why there are two different license required. I have a driver’s license but that doesn’t mean I can legally drive a truck that would require a CDL.

I’m licensed in both services and have good reason to be. I can use the GMRS to keep in contact with my wife and kids or other family members that may not wish to pursue their HAM ticket and if there just happened to be others licensed in the GMRS service in close proximity I would be able to talk to them. I can use the Amateur bands to contact other HAMS just to talk to or when there has been an activation during inclement weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.