• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS / MURS Dual-Band Radio???

Status
Not open for further replies.

russbrill

I was thinking (COVID-19 Bored) why can't Icom dual purpose the IC-2730A.. The 2730A is a nice radio with a VHF and UHF capable transmitter/receiver. Not to mention it covers the Weather Band..

Why not have a GMRS / MURS version of the 2730A, I know it would need a Firmware rewrite, but would it really take that much to use the existing hardware for a Part 95E / Part 95J compliant radio???

If Icom introduced a GMRS / MURS mobile, I don't think they could keep them on the store shelves...

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Getting them in the store is the problem. Such a radio is illegal by FCC rules at this time and is not likely to certified.

a417

If Icom introduced a GMRS / MURS mobile, I don't think they could keep them on the store shelves...
Opinion. If the companies thought the same, they'd have likely done so already. They do want to make money ,after all.

russbrill

Getting them in the store is the problem. Such a radio is illegal by FCC rules at this time and is not likely to certified.

Let us say it would never be legal for both services in one radio. Icom could lockout the vhf transmitter and have a GMRS radio with the Weather Band and a remote-able control head that lots of GMRS users mention they'd like...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Why do you say that.. Is it impossible to have a dual service radio be FCC Compliant???

Because the FCC says so. It's part of the rules.

For MURS:
§95.2761 MURS transmitter certification.
(c) A grant of equipment certification will not be issued for MURS transmitters capable of operating under both this subpart (MURS) and under any other subparts of this chapter (except part 15).

For GMRS:
§95.1761 GMRS transmitter certification.
(c) No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in §95.1763, unless such transmitter is also certified for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service. All frequency determining circuitry (including crystals) and programming controls in each GMRS transmitter must be internal to the transmitter and must not be accessible from the exterior of the transmitter operating panel or from the exterior of the transmitter enclosure.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Corporations are for-profit organizations. I don't think they're lazy as much as they are only looking for things that make money. I can't see that there's a market for that type of radio.

russbrill

Opinion. If the companies thought the same, they'd have likely done so already. They do want to make money ,after all.

It is my belief most of the companies making two-way radios don't really think about GMRS. In the last couple of years it has gotten lots of exposure because of Midland and their Micro-Mobiles..

russbrill

Because the FCC says so. It's part of the rules.

For MURS:
§95.2761 MURS transmitter certification.
(c) A grant of equipment certification will not be issued for MURS transmitters capable of operating under both this subpart (MURS) and under any other subparts of this chapter (except part 15).

For GMRS:
§95.1761 GMRS transmitter certification.
(c) No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in §95.1763, unless such transmitter is also certified for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service. All frequency determining circuitry (including crystals) and programming controls in each GMRS transmitter must be internal to the transmitter and must not be accessible from the exterior of the transmitter operating panel or from the exterior of the transmitter enclosure.

Well you got me there, it's weird the FCC won't let Part 95 technologies be combined in one unit???

russbrill

@russbrill you were formerly KN6SD on here who brought up that new GMRS/FRS proposal of yours, rage quit your old account, and then went onto the other two way boards and trashed the everliving f*** out of everyone here because we didn't support your ideas, yes?
Why would you bring that up??? I actually was trying to reinvent the wheel with a whole new CB type service if you remember correctly...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Well you got me there, it's weird the FCC won't let Part 95 technologies be combined in one unit???

It was likely because the FCC made a huge mess when they started allowing manufacturers to sell FRS and GMRS radios to consumers. A license by rule service combined with a licensed service causes too much confusion for consumers. Licensed GMRS users had to contend with little kids with roger beeps and ring tones.

russbrill

:rolleyes:.

I thought this sounded vaguely familiar, and the name rung a bell.

Have a good one.

This is totally different from my previous posts about an FM CB Radio on a new band. I was hoping over time there would be more equipment available for GMRS, and I mean NICE Equipment, not cheapy stuff.

Last edited:

russbrill

It was likely because the FCC made a huge mess when they started allowing manufacturers to sell FRS and GMRS radios to consumers. A license by rule service combined with a licensed service causes too much confusion for consumers. Licensed GMRS users had to contend with little kids with roger beeps and ring tones.

You're probably correct.. Unfortunately, I don't think MURS will get much in the way of equipment, unless it is an added benefit to something else. Who would buy a 5 channel 2 watt radio???

russbrill

There are lots of excellent Part 95 certified commercial radios out there. Kenwood TK-8180 is one. There are many others.

I know, but the Kenwoods aren't easily programmed by the end-user, things like frequency and PL/DCS tones, if you're an RVer or Trucker you'll need to make changes from time to time... The commercial stuff is great, if you're in the same area all the time.. Unless I'm missing something???

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Who would buy a 5 channel 2 watt radio???

People that understand the value of VHF over FRS radios.

Unfortunately few manufacturers have stepped up. Probably one of the better FCC legal MURS radios out there is the Ritron line Two Way Radios | Base Stations | Call Boxes | Walkie Talkies | Ritron
Issue with those is that they are a commercial radio and priced as such. That usually scares off the consumers, especially when e-Bay and Amazon are telling them to buy a $15 Chinese radio and ignore the FCC rules.

My brother in law is using the Ritrons for his tower crews, and they work just fine. Much better than the consumer grade or Chinese junk radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.