• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS newbie/ettiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

bblblw

Greetings!

Back in 1999, I purchased two FRS Radios for typical 2 way use. Well, recently, I have come into a few situations that will absolutely benefit from having a network of handhelds, so I picked up two more radios that should be compatible with the FRS Units. Then, I started researching. I have no desire to be a pirate, so I got my official CallSign today.

I have been reading rules and regs daily and I understand taht one must identify one's self with a callsing when leglally using the GMRS. Gotcha. But as for specifics?

Am I required to state my call sign after each transmission? Is it good etiquette to do so?

Can anyone clue me in on potential newbie mistakes? Is there a forum post?

CommJunkie

Thanks for being honest and getting your GMRS license.

Honestly, I don't know that its necessary after every transmission. Maybe every 10 mins or so during a conversation, or at the beginning and end of a conversation should be sufficient.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
If you are talking simplex, I really wouldn't worry too much about it as your transmissions are lucky to go more than a couple of miles. On the repeater, yeah, about every 10 minutes or so, but most of the time you will find out you are only on it for a few minutes. Whenever I call with no answer, I clear myself my just giving my call sign. When I'm finished talking, I just give the old WQKM383 Clear.

Dantian

I understand taht one must identify one's self with a callsing when leglally using the GMRS. Gotcha. But as for specifics? Am I required to state my call sign after each transmission? Is it good etiquette to do so?

The GMRS rule on station ID is clear. You can state your callsign after each communication or after a series of communications. Most users practice the latter, that is, at the end of the contact or occasionally during the contact but not at the end of every transmission. At the start of the contact it's more common to hear unit numbers than callsigns.

The rule (see below) also provides for ID during a long transmission.

A rule that can trip people up is 95.119(e). Users will think they don't have to ID their station if the repeater sends an ID. Actually the rule applies to repeaters. The repeater doesn't have to ID if the stations using it do ID properly.

Etiquette? There are a few traditions in GMRS. Ones that come to mind are:

* Be sure you have permission to use a repeater if you are not one of its regular authorized users.

* Of course always monitor before transmitting. If you are using tone decode then the decode has to be off so you can hear transmissions using other tones.

* Unit numbers are common in GMRS. Although the FCC says a unit number may be included after the callsign, it's usually spoken before the callsign. "927 clear, KAZ9999".

* Direct communication without the repeater is more common in GMRS than, say, in Amateur Radio. Hams call this "simplex" while in GMRS it's called "direct" or, borrowing a term from commercial mobile radio, "talkaround". The usual etiquette is to go direct unless you need greater range and thus have to use the repeater.

Here's the ID rule:

95.119 Station identification.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (e), every GMRS station must transmit a station identification:

(1) Following the transmission of communications or a series of communications; and

(2) Every 15 minutes during a long transmission.

(b) The station identification is the call sign assigned to the GMRS station or system.

(c) A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification.

(d) The station identification must be transmitted in:

(1) Voice in the English language; or

(2) International Morse code telegraphy.

(e) A station need not identify its transmissions if it automatically retransmits communications from another station which are properly identified.

Status
Not open for further replies.