• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Noob Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my license and had a few quick questions about the GMRS rules that a more experienced member can hopefully help me with.

Some background (incase it helps): I will be using bubble packs for communicating with adult family members primarily on the beach or while hiking. (So no repeater use - there aren't any in my area that are listed online.)

1) The regs state station identification must occur: "Following the transmission of communications or a series of communications" am I reading this correctly to indicate that if my wife radios for what ever reason and we have a brief conversation that as long as I give my station ID at the end of the exchange I will be within the letter of the regs or in this case will my wife have to also identify at the end of the conversation? (While in this particular case I am interested in the letter of the law, if you also have input on "best practice", I would also be interested in hearing it)

2) In regards to station identification is it customary to give the id spelled out in plain english, or spelled out with the nato phonetic alphabet?

Thanks

John

hockeyshrink

Welcome to GMRS!

It is my understanding that since your family is covered under your license, one of you would close the conversation with your call sign. It is not necessary to repeat the same call sign, as you are both the same station.

GMRS is intended for personal family communication to begin with...at least that's what the FCC web site says. I have never heard the same call repeated twice by a husband and wife, and I operate on repeaters where there are several families using the system. I don't do it...never heard it. We just say the call once at the end of the conversation.

It is not necessary to spell it phonetically. Enunciating the letters and numbers clearly in English is sufficient.

Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Since you are using the blister packs, most of your "chatting" can be done on the FRS channels. When working a repeater, Usually you ID yourself at the end of your conversation or at least every 15 minutes. Like hockeyshrink said, no need to phonetically say your call sign.

Good: WQKM383 clear.
Bad: Whiskey Quebec Kilo Mike Three Eight Three

Welcome to GMRS! Check out myGMRS.com - GMRS Repeater Directory to find a repeater group in your area!

Thank you very much for the info, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, according to that link there are not any GMRS repeaters in my area, so I will mostly be sticking to bubble packs for family outings unless I decide to set up a repeater, though with the high barrier to entry and the potential coming rule changes I doubt that I will any time soon.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I wouldn't worry about it right now. Relegating GMRS to the CB style wasteland has been around for a while. Everyone has an opinion, and opinions are like butts - everyone has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.