• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Pirates using P25 with encryption NY/NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Anyone else hearing GMRS pirates using P25 encryption on GMRS in the NY/NJ area? I'm not a radio cop, but it is becoming annoying. Thoughts?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
GMRS is full of unidentified kerchunkers, bubble packs, and CCRs not part 95 certified. I have to ask, does that fact that these guys/gals have for real radios with encryption just grind one's gears that much more?
Not excusing their behavior, but the rather "consequence free" environment that GMRS/FRS has become it's not surprising.

prcguy

Use their input frequency as simplex and use it a lot. With high power and a big Yagi pointed at the repeater. They have a lot invested in that system and it will be waaaaaay more annoying to them over you hearing hiss but otherwise not costing you any $$.

Anyone else hearing GMRS pirates using P25 encryption on GMRS in the NY/NJ area? I'm not a radio cop, but it is becoming annoying. Thoughts?

SigIntel8600

Premium Subscriber
GMRS is full of unidentified kerchunkers, bubble packs, and CCRs not part 95 certified. I have to ask, does that fact that these guys/gals have for real radios with encryption just grind one's gears that much more?
Not excusing their behavior, but the rather "consequence free" environment that GMRS/FRS has become it's not surprising.
I am licensed and use Part 95 approved Motorola radios for my GMRS activity, self programmed. I'm not impressed by clowns using "real radios" P25 encrypted on GMRS .

Hans13

Use their input frequency as simplex and use it a lot. With high power and a big Yagi pointed at the repeater. They have a lot invested in that system and it will be waaaaaay more annoying to them over you hearing hiss but otherwise not costing you any $$.
I get the sentiment but malicious interference isn't the answer. Two wrongs don't make a right.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I was in Long Island in Feb and there was a lot of heavy duty GMRS activity, rag chewing, etc which is fine.

I think the tri-state GMRS operations has a heavy LEO participation and perhaps they figure they have some imaginary privilege.

While I was there, I was not monitoring for P25 but if they are abusing the channels with it, it won't go well for the rest of us if the FCC decides that Part 90 equipment is problematic.

minasha

Could it be encrypted DMR and not P25 because they sell a lot of CCR tranceivers with DMR encryption capabilities for under $100 where encrypted p25 capable radios are generally in the $1000 range

n1das

Has it been confirmed that it actually is P25 with encryption being used and not digital modulation being confused with encryption?

I for one would LOVE to be able to use P25, DMR and NXDN digital modes legally on GMRS. Probably won't ever happen though.

Last edited:

SigIntel8600

Premium Subscriber
Has it been confirmed that it actually is P25 with encryption being used and not digital modulation being confused with encryption?

I for one would LOVE to be able to use P25, DMR and NXDN digital modes legally on GMRS. Probably won't ever happen though.

It is confirmed. P25 encrypted using an AOR DV-1 in Auto Mode. The NAC code was displayed as well.

Marine_Cotporal

Simplex Kid
I’ve always been a firm believer in if you don’t want to hear it either turn the radio off or go to a different frequency.
This! They aren't bothering you. Add a PL Code or DCS code if you must use that same frequency. The more I read threads on this forum and other forums I frequent, the more I see the old, nosey neighbor that should just mind his or her own business and total jackassery. I see posts with people going into Walmart with MURS radios to interfere with their operations. Why? Why not just use another coded frequency so that you don't bother anyone? Why mess with them at all? On a repeater, I could understand if someone is using your repeater. Yeah. Try to kick them off. Make a report. But on Simplex in the woods or some other area where not on a Calling Frequency, Just go to another frequency. Mind your business.There are guys here that spend their time with multiple scanning equipment in hopes of finding someone on dead airwaves not talking with a callsign. Yet they have no issues driving 80mph on a 65 or transmitting on GMRS, FRS, or MURS with a HAM radio.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
There are guys here that spend their time with multiple scanning equipment in hopes of finding someone on dead airwaves not talking with a callsign. Yet they have no issues driving 80mph on a 65 or transmitting on GMRS, FRS, or MURS with a HAM radio.
Best post of 2020.

I still say it grinds someone's gears that it all comes down to people using P25 with encryption which equates to being unable to be stalked by people who will then try to be ID Discovery level weirdos. Turn on PL/DPL, change the channel and get on with life.

prcguy

If someone was scanning and casually found this and otherwise has no interest in GMRS, then I agree and let it go. However, if you are a user of the specific frequency and have a big investment in a repeater and equipment and somebody is using banned modes and encryption and ruining your investment, then pull out all the stops, point your beam antennas, get all your friends licensed and on your system to up your air time and make them sorry for the day they were born. That's how I handle things like this and I'm usually very successful.

This! They aren't bothering you. Add a PL Code or DCS code if you must use that same frequency. The more I read threads on this forum and other forums I frequent, the more I see the old, nosey neighbor that should just mind his or her own business and total jackassery. I see posts with people going into Walmart with MURS radios to interfere with their operations. Why? Why not just use another coded frequency so that you don't bother anyone? Why mess with them at all? On a repeater, I could understand if someone is using your repeater. Yeah. Try to kick them off. Make a report. But on Simplex in the woods or some other area where not on a Calling Frequency, Just go to another frequency. Mind your business.There are guys here that spend their time with multiple scanning equipment in hopes of finding someone on dead airwaves not talking with a callsign. Yet they have no issues driving 80mph on a 65 or transmitting on GMRS, FRS, or MURS with a HAM radio.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
GMRS, like FRS and ham, is a shared resource. Everyone shares the same channels and has to share in the same rule book.

If you have a licensed Part 90 channel with exclusive use in your area of operation, then have at it. But if you have to share your frequencies with others, everyone needs to play with the same rules.

rftechnyc

Member without Bit-Error
Premium Subscriber
Where are you that youre copying it? Haven't heard anything on the bearcat here and usually keep the gmrs stuff in the scan list for giggles...

Marine_Cotporal

Simplex Kid
The same could be said about highways. Everyone is supposed to play by the rules and drive the speed limit but nobody does. Also nobody goes out of their way to harass speeders and report them unless they are truly reckless. The same should be said about radio but for some reason, it doesn’t work that way.

I guess my point is that Ham operators like to take the role of the police when they themselves don’t always follow every rule. Many communicate on a regular basis, which could reasonably be furnished alternatively through other radio services. Many use their HAM radios for FRS or GMRS disregarding the Part exemption and doing so on more wattage. Some go over 10 minutes without transmitting a call sign.

But if another group of homes in on their location and busted them, they wouldn’t take too kindly to that.

prcguy

If someone is not playing by the rules then I believe they loose their right to share those resources.

GMRS, like FRS and ham, is a shared resource. Everyone shares the same channels and has to share in the same rule book.

If you have a licensed Part 90 channel with exclusive use in your area of operation, then have at it. But if you have to share your frequencies with others, everyone needs to play with the same rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.