GMRS Prescribed Channel Uses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
landonjensen said:
ok i just learned that the emergency channel/travel aid for gmrs is 462.6750.
Thanks All

462.675 is not any sort of emergency channel. It is an open-use GMRS frequency just like any other. Some organizations use that frequency to conduct their operations and listen for help voluntarily, but by no means is it restricted to that. We have several repeaters on .675 for normal comms and the frequency must be shared by all licensees, regardless of whom uses it.

Again, .675 is open to all comms by licensees, not just emergencies. Period.

landonjensen

well i have seen 3 gmrs sites including one freq site, and i think a fcc site that said it was one
i guess there all wrong then

N

N_Jay

landonjensen said:
well i have seen 3 gmrs sites including one freq site, and i think a fcc site that said it was one
i guess there all wrong then

It seems like it was a proposed rule back in 1999 and was either never implemented or was rescinded.

n1das

laggroup said:
462.675 is not any sort of emergency channel. It is an open-use GMRS frequency just like any other. Some organizations use that frequency to conduct their operations and listen for help voluntarily, but by no means is it restricted to that. We have several repeaters on .675 for normal comms and the frequency must be shared by all licensees, regardless of whom uses it.

Again, .675 is open to all comms by licensees, not just emergencies. Period.

675 formerly was reserved for emergency and traveler assistance under the old GMRS rules. Many REACT groups operated on 675 for this reason and many still do today.

Under the old rules (prior to 2/16/1999), 675 was reserved for emergency and traveler assistance use in addition to normal use by licensees. This was back when you had to pick any TWO of the primaries on the license application and your license automatically granted 675 for emergency and traveler assistance if it wasn't already one of your chosen primary freqs. The GMRS freqs required coordination back then and repeaters with all the site info had to be listed (lat/lon, ERP, HAAT, etc.) on the application.

After 2/16/1999, all-channel GMRS licensing went into effect and the restriction on 675 went away. 675 is open to all comms by licensees. GMRS licensees are no longer restricted to TWO primary freqs like under the old rules and can now use ALL 8 GMRS primary freqs. The requirements for coordination of freqs and repeaters being listed on the license app also went away.

Again, 675 is open to all comms by licensees, just like the other GMRS primaries.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Recently,in the last year or so the FCC has stated that the 462/467.675 pair is no longer
designated as the "National Travellers Asist Channel".
There's more info on this from www.prsg.org
73's!

rescuecomm

462.675 travelers channel?

I drove all the way from South Carolina to Texas listening on 462.675 and never heard any motorists. When we got near the oil refineries, I heard some maintenance related comm's. Of course, I only worked one ham on 146.520 but I did hear some other guys talking from base stations to each other. Its probably not really a traveller's channel.

keithmj

Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
Hi..My AudioVox GMRS-1525 has an emergency button and it defaults to channel 10 when I press the button. I haven't heard of just a certain channel either, just this one. I know this is an old post but..Who cares?..Cheers..Keithmj

SCPD

QRT
n1das said:
A new GMRS callsign issued through the ULS will be 4 letters beginning with W followed by 3 numbers.

I have a GMRS license that was originally issued in 1998. It consists of 3 letters and 4 numbers. It is KAG0(zero not Oh)705. I thought it was an "Oh" for many years and IDed on the GMRS channels in that manner for years. One day I attempted to find my license on the ULS website and it did not come up. I checked to see if the license was even listed by using my FRN and it did. I then suspected that the "Oh" was not such and placed a "zero" in its place and my license popped right up. It took some time to pronounce the callsign without thinking as I had gotten used to the incorrect license.

On the subject of bubble packs, there is a widespread impression by their users that once they have chosen a, uh hum, "privacy code", no one else can hear them, much less talk to them. I was on a hike in the Sierra near the eastern boundary of Yosemite National Park one day in the fall and my hiking buddy had a scanner with the GMRS frequencies programmed in. We picked up traffic by a person climbing a nearby 13,000 peak. I took the scanner and let it do a "PL" search. I then programmed that PL and channel into my GMRS radio. Since I had plans to climb that peak in the next week, I called the person on the peak to ask for current conditions. He did not answer until I called him several times and all through the conversation the tone of his voice indicated he was wondering how I could be talking to him. After our conversation his communications with the other party, who we could not receive due to topography, were very much less animated and contained far less information. I could tell, again by the tone in his voice, that he was puzzled and likely shocked, that someone could actually call him and talk to him when he had "his" privacy code programmed in. He also seemed confused when I used my GMRS license as a call sign. He obviously had not read the "fine print" on the package.

I also live close enough to a major ski area that I can monitor a lot of FRS/GMRS traffic from skiers. Sometimes I hear them talking along and then one of them says something similar to "I need to tell you something that I don't want anyone else to hear, so lets switch to the 'private channel.' " They then go on to talk about a guy or gal that they "got to know real well" the night before and they are quite graphic with their words. Many of the manufacturers of the radios suggest to purchasers that these are "private channels" and not merely tone squelched radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.