• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Programming A TK-390

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxco

There are only 2 repeaters in my area, do I need to set the +5Mhz offset in my radio on those channels just as I would do on my ham radio?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
There are only 2 repeaters in my area, do I need to set the +5Mhz offset in my radio on those channels just as I would do on my ham radio?

LMR does not use 'offsets' you need to independently program the receive and transmit frequencies, as well as PL/DPL(QT/DQT in Kenwood speak)

While this is not the software for the TK-390, it will use the same terminology.

Example:

Ch-1 462.5500(RX) 467.5500(TX) 114.8(RX QT) 114.8(TX QT)
Ch-2 462.6250(RX) 467.6250(Tx) 446N(RX QDT) 446N(Tx QDT)

The radio does not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you want to use the repeaters you do. The input to them will be 467.xxx, the output will be 462.xxx. The TK-390 programs by putting in the receive frequency and the transmit frequency separately, it probably won't do an automatic offset like the amateur radios do.

I've got a TK-290, and the VHF offsets are not standardized like they are on UHF, so putting it all in manually is the way to do it. I've never looked to see if the 390 defaults the TX frequency 5MHz up. I'm still using the DOS software, so not sure if the Windows software is different in that area.

ecps92

Not quite true. My Icom H16 and U16 use offset

LMR does not use 'offsets' you need to independently program the receive and transmit frequencies, as well as PL/DPL(QT/DQT in Kenwood speak)

While this is not the software for the TK-390, it will use the same terminology.

Example:

Ch-1 462.5500(RX) 467.5500(TX) 114.8(RX QT) 114.8(TX QT)
Ch-2 462.6250(RX) 467.6250(Tx) 446N(RX QDT) 446N(Tx QDT)

The radio does not

Jaxco

Thanks, just didn't want to be illegal and every other GMRS radio I have used in the past was pre-programmed. My only experience programming was on HAM frequencies where repeaters are often added, removed or tones change.

I know that the 467.xxx GMRS higher power frequencies are never to be used for simplex conversations, so I was hesitant when setting TX frequency in that range even though my rx frequency was one of the 462 channels.

Based on this info, I am certain my settings are right, including tone, because the principle is the same with the HAM radios but for some reason I am not hitting the repeater.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Not quite true. My Icom H16 and U16 use offset

Ahhh yes, I forgot about those old things. I have not touched or used one in over 11 years. I have fond memories of those radios. Although they do use offsets for transmit, I think they are one of the very few.

Like what exactly?
Stuff like city municipalities. Most of it is stuff they had before they had repeaters and then they decided to use two frequencies for a repeater.

I'm actually working on a local ISD's stuff that is setup like that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.