• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS radio used in house as base station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastiff2013

How would a MXT400 radio be powered if it will be used in house? Is there any way to convert it to use household electricity?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Google "12v Power Supply". It's common for mobile radios to be used as base stations.

n1das

Google "12v Power Supply". It's common for mobile radios to be used as base stations.

The Samlex SEC1223 is a popular power supply for powering mobile radios. 13.8VDC / 23A rated output. I have several of these in service and they have been very reliable. They have a clean and well regulated output. I have also found them to be fairly RF-quiet and RF-immune, making them a good choice for powering mobiles. The SEC1223 supply barely gets warm while transmitting with a 50W UHF mobile all day long (the mobile draws about 9.5A).

Samlex SEC-1212 SEC-1223 Power Supply SEC1212 SEC1223

Last edited:

ChitheadDeSo

Does anyone that has a radio powered via an adapter have some sort of battery back up for it? If so how did you set this up?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you have a power supply with adjustable voltage output, you can adjust the output voltage to match the fully-charged state of the battery, and then connect the battery in parallel with the power supply.

bhamilton930

If you have a power supply with adjustable voltage output, you can adjust the output voltage to match the fully-charged state of the battery, and then connect the battery in parallel with the power supply.

Why run a battery in parallel ? Just run off of the D.C. Power supply. A battery won't be able to recover fast enough from voltage drop, even when a trickle charger is inline when under load.

I suggest a power supply like what I run. Which is a 12 VDC 45 Amp Power Supply w/Meter and Lighter Plug

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007D6BJ5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kOJOybJNG02QS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Why run a battery in parallel ? Just run off of the D.C. Power supply. A battery won't be able to recover fast enough from voltage drop, even when a trickle charger is inline when under load.

Not true, if the battery has enough capacity to run the radio on its own. Otherwise, how would a UPS react fast enough to maintain power in an outage???

bhamilton930

Not true, if the battery has enough capacity to run the radio on its own. Otherwise, how would a UPS react fast enough to maintain power in an outage???

Actually that is true. And I already explained it. A ups will maintain voltage for a couple minutes to a few hours depending on usage and application load

You would need a different power source other than a lead acid battery. Or use maybe a few deep cycle batteries in parallel (bigger fuel cell)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Every battery has a finite capacity and will eventually go dead. But that doesn't mean it won't seamlessly pick up the slack in a power failure until it does go dead.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
A battery with a good charger that has a maintenance mode will provide a good source of emergency power. Pick a battery/charger combination that you think will meet your needs. I use two 30 amp sealed gel cells in series and they provide plenty of backup.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A battery won't be able to recover fast enough from voltage drop, even when a trickle charger is inline when under load.

Then you admit this statement is wrong. UPSs do exactly that every day--recover seamlessly from dips in AC voltage or complete loss of AC power by switching to battery power nearly instantaneously.

Using a battery charger as a power supply is a bad idea. Many chargers use pulsed or unfiltered DC outputs (particularly lead-acid chargers--it reduces electrolysis of the electrolyte) that work fine for charging a battery, but will induce loud background buzz or hum when transmitting, even with a battery in paralell.

lucky43113

Then you admit this statement is wrong. UPSs do exactly that every day--recover seamlessly from dips in AC voltage or complete loss of AC power by switching to battery power nearly instantaneously.

Using a battery charger as a power supply is a bad idea. Many chargers use pulsed or unfiltered DC outputs (particularly lead-acid chargers--it reduces electrolysis of the electrolyte) that work fine for charging a battery, but will induce loud background buzz or hum when transmitting, even with a battery in paralell.

I have done this years ago using a battery charger to power a cheap cb the background noise is unbearable

ChitheadDeSo

That all makes sense but for the sake of curiosity, what about putting a solar powered charger on it with some form of capacitor or something? Anyone have experience with that? Using this as normal power would mean no need for backup cause it is its own backup.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A capacitor isn't going to provide more than a few seconds of power unless you use an ultracapacitor bank--that will give you a few minutes of power. You'll need a battery for longer-term power supply, and either AC or solar to keep the battery charged.

lmrtek

to put back the capacity you drained while using the radio for any length of time would take a large cost prohibitive solar array

you can buy an Astron power supply that has battery backup and buy a deep cycle battery

it float charges the battery 24-7

you hook your radio to the battery and you are running off it so when power fails you don't even notice

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
to put back the capacity you drained while using the radio for any length of time would take a large cost prohibitive solar array

Solar has gotten a lot cheaper. You could build a solar setup capable of powering a typical HAM radio 24x7 for less than $1000, including the storage batteries for operating at night and charge controller.

bhamilton930

Solar has gotten a lot cheaper. You could build a solar setup capable of powering a typical HAM radio 24x7 for less than $1000, including the storage batteries for operating at night and charge controller.

Oh yeah man. I've even seen little solar cb set ups (for the prepper off grid types) for as little as 300 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.