• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS repeater help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanPerr

Premium Subscriber
Hello
I am trying to set up a GMRS repeater and do not own a duplexer. I was wondering what the spacing I would need between my tx and rx antennas? If anyone could help that would be great.
Thanks

RadioGuy7268

Long answer short (and in reality, it will depend on many factors such as power, antenna type, and receiver selectivity) you need at least 15 feet between the antennas stacked vertically - and more separation is usually better. It's also better if you can place a bandpass cavity on the receiver. If you can measure any loss in receive sensitivity when the transmitter is keyed - you don't have enough separation.

When you calculate the costs of good antennas and quality coaxial cable - running 2 antennas is rarely the cheaper option. Duplexers are popular because they work in the vast majority of situations.

prcguy

Some radios like an actual high end repeater can work with 15ft vertical separation between antennas. Other radios cannot and may never work full duplex with the antennas within a few blocks of each other. It would help to know what kind of repeater or radios the OP is going to use.

Long answer short (and in reality, it will depend on many factors such as power, antenna type, and receiver selectivity) you need at least 15 feet between the antennas stacked vertically - and more separation is usually better. It's also better if you can place a bandpass cavity on the receiver. If you can measure any loss in receive sensitivity when the transmitter is keyed - you don't have enough separation.

When you calculate the costs of good antennas and quality coaxial cable - running 2 antennas is rarely the cheaper option. Duplexers are popular because they work in the vast majority of situations.

n5ims

And stay away from those cheap mobile duplexers that are available many places, especially ebay. While you might get lucky and find one that actually works OK, most won't work much better than the 15' vertical separation you've been warned about. Those mobile ones are designed for very low power transmitters and very good quality receivers. For a real repeater, you need a real duplexer and a quality repeater that's designed for repeater use. Just throwing a couple of radios together with a cable or even a controller will be cheap and sound (and work) like some cheap junk that was thrown together to do what it wasn't designed for.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I purchased one of those UHF mobile duplexers on eBay and it works. I typically do not put more than 20 watts into it, but I have tested with 50 watts and it worked fine. I tested 20 and 50 from the same location and relatively same time as I can remotely control the power output of the repeater. It can work fine for mobile use or in an environment that is not inundated with RF, as they are just notch filters.

As to LMR-400 vs 1/2 inch Heliax, there is indeed a noticeable difference. I experienced it when going from one to the other. Additionally, I saw an improvement when swapping out a dual band antenna to a single band UHF antenna I cut and tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.