• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS repeater linking and the FCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioopperator

Feed Provider
I would say pretty much everything that guy ("radiooperator") is posting is laughable...
That's just because your a AMATURE and haven't challenged the system! Have you seen the new federal rules FCC got newtered till they make major changes in how they operate! Just the facts jack. I expect congress will soon be making all the FCC rules!

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Before you lock this up.....I'd like to clear one thing up:

Codes like 73, 88 etc are actually old telegraphy codes (30 now called SK means 'the end')

Here's a link:
If only someone had posted that earlier in the thread…oh wait, someone did…

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I was unsure if it was even English
Remember, you don't have to pass a test to get a GMRS license. Just pay $35 and you, too, can get on the air with your $15 Baofeng and tie up 8 channels on linked repeater systems all over the country with talk about the mundane things you did in your life today.

wd8chl

Remember, you don't have to pass a test to get a GMRS license. Just pay $35 and you, too, can get on the air with your $15 Baofeng and tie up 8 channels on linked repeater systems all over the country with talk about the mundane things you did in your life today.

Is it really down to $35 now? Last I heard it had dropped to $60 or $65 I think...cool...

AK9R

Super Moderator
Just like 75 meters?
Generally, you can only talk on one frequency at a time on 75m. If you are talking on sideband, that means you, and your buddies, are occupying 3 kHz, maybe 5 kHz, for as far as your signal can reach...let's say 500-1000 miles.

If you are talking on a linked GMRS repeater system, you could be tying up 8 channels at 16 kHz a piece nationwide.

jshuggins

At the end of the day, the FCC's opinion is the only one that matters.
The recent Chevron case in the SCOTUS changed this notion moving the final arbiter of law and rule interpretation to the courts rather than the previous four decades where the opinion of federal departments, etc. carried more weight in verdicts. The FCC is likely no longer the only opinion that matters.

AK9R

Super Moderator
The Chevron case has certainly opened a can of worms. Congress may have to get busy.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I think there should be an amendment to the US constitution that prohibits GMRS linking.
And one that favors my opinion that all HF antennas are ugly and shall be no larger than a tomato paste can. The AI can solve that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.