• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Repeater(s) covering Yosemite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgwheeler

Does anyone know if there any GMRS repeaters available to licensees visiting Yosemite NP? We are going to be there next month with about 90 fourth graders.

The kids get divided into several groups and rotate through hikes and activities for the week. The teachers, hiking parents and campsite parents keep in touch with FRS during these kind of trips. Just wondering if there are any repeaters available that my wife and I might be able to use as a back up should we need some extra coverage.

Thanks.

cgwheeler

Correct. I am asking about GMRS. There will be FRS users in our group, and I will have my FRS/GMRS radios with me. I was looking for an available GMRS repeater that my wife and I might use - if needed. Thanks

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
Searched mygmrs.com and also Google. Can't seem to find any gmrs repeaters. Did manage to find a amature one on 147.0 if your licensed for that

connor - wqnd300

cgwheeler

I'm a ham, but I don't think anyone else on this trip is.

147.0 . . . I think I've used that one before. Back when I lived in San Joaquin County.

Rudester

Correct. I am asking about GMRS. There will be FRS users in our group, and I will have my FRS/GMRS radios with me. I was looking for an available GMRS repeater that my wife and I might use - if needed. Thanks

My apologies, I thought you were asking about FRS repeaters.

With regards to your FRS/GMRS radios, I am not familiar with all of them, but most (all?) of the blister pack FRS/GMRS radios don't have the ability to use repeaters (transmit on one channel and receive on another). What are you using?

cgwheeler

My apologies, I thought you were asking about FRS repeaters.

With regards to your FRS/GMRS radios, I am not familiar with all of them, but most (all?) of the blister pack FRS/GMRS radios don't have the ability to use repeaters (transmit on one channel and receive on another). What are you using?

There are several that do. I have a pair of the Motorola MS350Rs and two MT350Rs. The "R" doesn't tell you anything...

The MTs are simplex only. The MS series have repeater ability. When you activate the repeater function you get channels R15 through R22 added to the radio which are repeater split channels. You can also split the tones. On the "R" channels can have different tones on the transmit and receive.

I also have a couple of Kenwood 3101s and a 3160, but of course they are not FRS legal. And I will be using FRS more than anything else on the Yosemite trip because it will be a large non-family group. So for me, the dreaded blister pack radio provides what I need; the ability to use GMRS (including a repeater if needed) and FRS on one legal radio.

I know - I know.... someone is going to tell me all the drawbacks of low gain fixed antennas, lower transmit power (though the MS and MT series are 1.5 watts - OK for a handheld)... I get it, and I know everyone means well with that advice... but I'm good. :D Seriously... not trying to come off as an ungrateful jerk. I appreciate the input. And I am just as guilty of the same thing.... telling people in a forum something they have already heard 100 times. Just the nature of the media, right?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
We are going to be there next month with about 90 fourth graders.

You have a whole month? Get the other parents to start studying for their Technician class license and have them pick up some Baofengs! Make it happen, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.