• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

East_Algoma

Can anyone assist me in in finding a used repeater ?

Im a Lic HAM , however Ive seen some of these gmrs repeaters costing 2K !

I would need a 30 ish watt repeater no auto patch.

THX

East_Algoma

Thank you very much ..HUGE LISTINGS....Guess my search skills needs some improving...LOL
'

Again , VERY HELPFUL...Thank you !!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Try hamkey.com they get ads for commercial uhf repeaters all the time.
Also FYI,you're able to use up to 50 watts in the gmrs band.
n9zas

midstate33

Look on ebay for a company called KAWA, they make a "repeater maker cable to interface 2 Motorola
mobiles, then look for a couple GM300 or M120 in UHF have them programmed and wa la you add a duplexer and you have a repeater, I have several and they work great, check Repeater Builder for additional info or BatLabs either has a lot of good info....Fred/W8WAR

GMRS Repeaters are still illegal in Canada. Industry Canada will allow a commercial use with IC approved equipment (Repeater, Mobiles, HT's) every radio on the system has to be licenced (no ham or china imports are allowed) New equipment must meet the new narrow band requirements and even then you can not get a GMRS frequency. A rural repeater licence is $800 per year $1600 for urban. You also have to add the licence fees for each mobile and HT. (GMRS radios are limited to 2 watts and Audiovox is the only company that made a GMRS base 2 watts no repeater option). Radios that are not approved for GMRS use in Canada are illegal. So you are limited to using only the GMRS type radios as sold at Canadian Tire, Home Depot. Home Hardware nothing else.

wolfdx

gmrs repeater

Does anyone know if GMRS equipment (repeaters mobils and handhelds) will have to be narrow band in 2013

W2NJS

The duplexer on a repeaater system allows the system to simultaneously transmit and receive using the same antenna.

zerowatts

Thank you.
What's this about the distance between the two antenna's if a duplexer is not there? How much distance might be needed till there is no audible interference?

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Narrowbanding is covered in the new FCC NPRM on all Part 95 services, including GMRS. This total rule rewrite, possibly going into effect VERY shortly (they only gave 30 days to make comments), may well eliminate power over 2 watts, and repeaters, along with licensing, in the USA.

RKG

Thank you.
What's this about the distance between the two antenna's if a duplexer is not there? How much distance might be needed till there is no audible interference?

Depends on a number of factors, but on the order of 20-50 feet if the separation is vertical and the antennas are mounting coaxially, or on the order of 150-250 feet if the separation is horizontal.

talkpair

Does anyone know if GMRS equipment (repeaters mobils and handhelds) will have to be narrow band in 2013

Not yet.

As I wrote in another thread, the sources for new mobiles, base station and repeater equipment will most likely dry up soon. Not because of changes in Part 95 rules, but because of mandates in the Part 90 services.

GMRS users typically use radios (except blister packaged handhelds) that are also type accepted for Part 90 services. The FCC prohibits the manufacture or import of wideband capable radios after January 1, 2011. It's highly unlikely that anyone will manufacture a mobile, base, or repeater for GMRS only.

I have my doubts about some of the changes being proposed for GMRS.....Many users, groups and a few grandfathered commercial users have invested a lot of money in their systems. I would expect a date that allows licensees to get some use out of their current investment. (much like public safety)

The argument that FRS and GMRS services would interfere with each other was played out years ago when FRS was being proposed. Manufacturers of consumer electronics assured the GMRS community that the two services would NOT interfere with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.