• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
Are there any differences in the GMRS User license and a GMRS Repeater license? can you mount to a home tower?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Repeater location and antenna

Just a thought, but repeater location and antenna are paramount, if you are looking for wide area (more than a couple mile) coverage. Most repeaters are located on tall buildings, towers or mountaintops, and use high gain antennas. Otherwise, you're going to spend a ton of money and be quite disappointed if you are expecting that "20-25 mile range" printed on the bubble pack radios.

Repeaters also require a duplexer if you want to use a single antenna. Good duplexers are expensive and require test equipment and expertise to tune to your specific pair. High quality repeater grade feedline is also mandatory for good performance.

You may wish to consult a local two-way radio shop for assistance with putting together such a system.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Just a thought, but repeater location and antenna are paramount, if you are looking for wide area (more than a couple mile) coverage. Most repeaters are located on tall buildings, towers or mountaintops, and use high gain antennas. Otherwise, you're going to spend a ton of money and be quite disappointed if you are expecting that "20-25 mile range" printed on the bubble pack radios.

Repeaters also require a duplexer if you want to use a single antenna. Good duplexers are expensive and require test equipment and expertise to tune to your specific pair. High quality repeater grade feedline is also mandatory for good performance.

You may wish to consult a local two-way radio shop for assistance with putting together such a system.

You mean notch filter? lol (just poking some fun)

and also if you go to a mountain top or a building job and there is a lot of RF up there IE more repeaters close buy in freq then you might need cavities to tune the noise out, and that can effect your RX sensitivity and also your TX out put power.

SKYNET156

Banned
I'm not looking to link, i live on a big hill in the santa ana cayon's of southern california, there is maybe 40 more feet to go up before you have to go down the hill again, but we are on a good clear path almost to the top of my hill, and i have a pre-existing TV Tower that was used back when mounted to the side of the house that raises about 15 ft over the roof, if i stand on my roof i can see down and around yorba linda and a little bit into anahiem, so i was thinking of getting my GMRS ticket and using my Desktrac for a home repeater, What is the allowable wattage for output on GMRS? and i have 6 sabers that i want to use, but i heard that you can't use any radio on GMRS with a detatchable antenna? so i'm looking for a cool project for GMRS....

kc8mln

FRS is not allowed to use radios with a detachable antenna, GMRS is not effected by the detachable antenna clause...Check out the FCC rules page for GMRS regulations and alot of your answers are on there. I checked them and found alot of good info.

n8emr

And also linking GMRS repeaters is not legal.

There is no place in the rules that say you CANT link GMRS repeaters. What most people confuse for linking is the 95.141 Interconnection prohibited. No station in a GMRS system may be interconnected to the public switched telephone network. This means no auto patch and if you streach it no link of repeaters via phone lines. It says nothing of linking via networks, rf, just phone line links. SO an "echolink" type repeater link would be legal as long as your not trying to do it on dialup.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Okay gotcha, I must of misunderstood that part of the rules.

prcguy

There are if you had one before the rules changed and you keep renewing it. Mine expired before I was aware of it but my GMRS partner has renewed his coordinated repeater license with several 60w repeaters, no EIRP restrictions and it has very specific frequency and LAT/LON coordinates on 5,000+ ft mountain tops in So Cal.
prcguy

There is no such thing anymore as a GMRS repeater license.

SKYNET156

Banned
So you can still build up a GMRS Repeater? im confused on the conflicting reports if you can or can't? it would be nice to ROIP Link with a GMRS Repeater using Ventrillo, I have a Dell Poweredge SC430 that i would like to use for a radio related project, i also have a /\/\ Desktrac 40 Watts that i'd like to use, i just need to get the duplexer tuned for it, and i have an old TV tower about 15 ft above my roof, A ROIP GMRS Repeater would be an awesome project, im not sure if you can use ventrillo on a mobile phone to connect, but it'd be an awesome project, i have been wanting to start a notification network as a project

prcguy

When you say "build up" a GMRS repeater, just remember you can't legally stick some mobiles together with a repeater controller, the repeater must be FCC type accepted as a repeater for part 95 of the FCC rules.

Owning and maintaining a repeater is a big responsibility in both the technical and $$ areas.
prcguy

So you can still build up a GMRS Repeater? im confused on the conflicting reports if you can or can't? it would be nice to ROIP Link with a GMRS Repeater using Ventrillo, I have a Dell Poweredge SC430 that i would like to use for a radio related project, i also have a /\/\ Desktrac 40 Watts that i'd like to use, i just need to get the duplexer tuned for it, and i have an old TV tower about 15 ft above my roof, A ROIP GMRS Repeater would be an awesome project, im not sure if you can use ventrillo on a mobile phone to connect, but it'd be an awesome project, i have been wanting to start a notification network as a project

SKYNET156

Banned
I have a 40 watt desktrac repeater, and i also have an R100, but it's hard finding programing for the R100, I want to assume both of them are Part 95 because the Desktrac i purchased from a local GMRS Club that went another route and upgraded here in southern california, i have a tower already on my property, and it's just a project for local use, as i was saying before, i'd like to use my dell poweredge server for an ROIP Project, I'm just haven't formulated a plan for it yet and i need to look at the GMRS Rule book for that..

landonjensen

For VOIP with VOX hooking to a radio that will work through smartphones, Teamspeak works and you can talk onto the Teamspeak server from your smartphone. I use it on my iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.