GMRS repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

policeMonitor

I see there are no GMRS repeater's in the area, I have been thinking about installing one, but I figured I would check interest on here first. would any of you guys be interested? thanks

policeMonitor

I see the cost has come down some, I was looking at ebay there are a few homemade repeaters up for sale around the 200 range. I would need a duplexer another 100 bucks and an antenna. I would probably build one but see people selling them do 40 bucks on Ebay as well. I originally wanted this for family use, but wanted to see if we could get more users interested. And get use out of this machine. In my eyes to make it worth putting te time and money into.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You would need a tower, at least 50' or better, to be effective. Preferable lease a spot on the roof top of a tall building in your area.

I can't have a tower where I live, and there are no tall buildings in the area that could be used either.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
How much duplexer a will cosy depends on power, location and availability of surplus equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scanmanmi

I was just researching this today. I think it would be nice but how many users are there really? Everything went to cellphones. Even the ham repeaters are empty. You can just get ham licenses and you'll have all the coverage you need.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I was just researching this today. I think it would be nice but how many users are there really? Everything went to cellphones. Even the ham repeaters are empty. You can just get ham licenses and you'll have all the coverage you need.

It's not always easy to get 6+ people to get their tickets. If you had to put up a repeater anyway, already had the repeater and radios…$85 for one license versus having those same 6 people study for their licenses, $15 an exam (understanding that some may not pass it the first go around)…you're looking at a greater cost for a family to have single band, reliable, two way communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.