• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS use on HAM radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjose411

I have a GMRS license. Is it then illegal to use these Baofeng UV-5RXP if I just programmed the GMRS channels and lock it down? Thank you in advance. Wanted the kids to be able to ride around the neighborhood and call home. I realize there's cellphone but you know what happens with kids and cellphones these days...Thanks in advance- WRDT695

pjose411

I copied and pasted this from Amazon so lots of bad english. I'm a complete newbie to all this, please be kind, rewind. From what I can tell it will operate within the bandwidth/freq and settings. I guess my biggest concern is since these are able to hit Ham radio freq will it make it illegal to be used for GMRS by my immediate household family. Would have to teach them how to properly ID when transmitting..which is another topic I will save for the correct part of the forum. Thank you all.
  • UV-5R Upgrade More Fashion And Wider Version;High / Low Power Settings (8W/5W /1W) Programmable Amateur Radio
  • Frequency Range: 65-108 MHz (Only commercial FM radio reception) VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx)
  • Up To 128 Customize Channels;Bulit-in LED Flashlight;VOX/ Function;RX CTCSS/DCS Scan
  • Full 2000mAh Battery(non-oversized in capacity); Broadband (Wide) 25khz / Narrowband (Narrow) 12.5khz Selectable
  • Programmable by PC ;AUTO Keypad Lock;Dual Band, Dual Display and Dual Standby

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
In order to operate a Wouxon, Baofeng and other imported HAM radio's you umust have at least a technician class FCC License. A GRMS license (which I also have) covers you and your family but only on designated GRMS frequencies. HAM radio operators are very good at recognizing unlicensed operators.

mancow

Database Admin
Your confusion is rooted in common sense. A normal person such as yourself would think that a device with the exact same specifications would meet the requirement and thus be allowed. Alas, this is the government we are talking about. Unless they waive their hand and sprinkle their regulatory holy water upon it which manifests itself in the form of a sticker bearing the mark of bureaucracy you may as well be trying to use a spark gap transmitter. After all, these markets won't manipulate themselves.

Last edited:

pjose411

I actually emailed the FCC, let's see what they come back with, this way no misinterpretation, doubt they will let me play dumb if I get fined for using non-approved equipment. I will post if they ever respond. I primarily wanted to use the GMRS license so I can get a better set of radios for my family as we live/work within 5-8 miles in case of emergency. Doubt I will get everyone to get their technician's license. But I know that when that massive earthquake here in CA hits we are going to need a way to get in touch with each other. IT's been rocking and rolling around here since 4th of July.

Hit_Factor

I actually emailed the FCC, let's see what they come back with, this way no misinterpretation, doubt they will let me play dumb if I get fined for using non-approved equipment. I will post if they ever respond. I primarily wanted to use the GMRS license so I can get a better set of radios for my family as we live/work within 5-8 miles in case of emergency. Doubt I will get everyone to get their technician's license. But I know that when that massive earthquake here in CA hits we are going to need a way to get in touch with each other. IT's been rocking and rolling around here since 4th of July.

Do you already have the radios? If not, look at the chart I posted BaoFeng makes GMRS radios too.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The BTech GMRS V1 is a type accepted radio. It will only transmit on GMRS channels, but will otherwise receive in the same ranges as other Baofengs. Not legal for FRS. Programmable with Chirp. Repeater capable.

With regard to type acceptance, there are differences between the actual GMRS specs and the specs of other Baofeng radios. The differences are greater with regard to FRS use because of power output and detachable antennas. Baofeng gets away with all of this because they say their radios are for ham use. Very dangerous to turn people loose with a radio that can transmit anywhere. In Japan they simply don't sell these radios. Forget type acceptance, they are not legal period.

To say that this is subject to debate is like saying a speed limit sign is only a suggestion. Will you go to jail for using a non type accepted radio. I doubt it. Will you cause interference to licensed users - possibly. Will you endanger your ham license - you bet.

This all comes down to the slightly dubious idea that radios will help you in an emergency. If you really want to help join an ARES or CERT group. Red Cross and Salvation Army too. Get some training and get to know other people who you can rely on if needed. Like if you can't locate a family member or you become separated. Time and again I encounter folks who are concerned about their family's safety, but give little thought to their community. Radio will not save your life. If everyone gets on GMRS or FRS and starts calling in an emergency there will be chaos. Ham radio will not necessarily be a lot better. I have a ham license and a GMRS license.

Look at mygmrs.com it lists GRMS repeaters all over the country. There may be one is your area.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Is it illegal to use that radio? Yes.

Does anybody care? Eh. GMRS/FRS has largely become a wasteland in many places, and is largely ignored just like the CB band. Unless you're doing something really stupid and drawing all sorts of attention to yourself, nobody is going to care.

Channel 1 where I am (which is largely the only channel that ever sees use) is just a free-for-all. Roger beeps gallore, kids, cursing, music, illegal amplifiers, etc. If your kids are using the radios properly, IDing properly, etc., I can guarantee you that nobody is going to care. The FCC has way bigger fish to fry than a family using non-type accepted radios properly on GMRS.

N4KVE

It’s one thing to use part 90 radios on GMRS. Yes, they are approved for commercial freq’s, but they are still not part 95 GMRS approved. That won’t get you in trouble, but using a ham radio to transmit above 450 MHz is totally illegal. But as others said if you do it on the downlow, nothing will “probably” happen. This means asking permission from the GMRS repeater owner to use his repeater, vs pulling up in some strange town with the wife, & kids, & using someone’s GMRS repeater. Remember, it’s not ham radio with the repeater open to anyone who has a license.

Status
Not open for further replies.