• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS vs. FRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowerrollin

Feed Provider
I know this is an old thread, but what are these 900mhz "frequency hopping" bubblepack radios?

Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com or Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com (same link)

900mhz ?!

Isnt this the same tech used by Nextel's "direct talk/MOTO talk?" not direct connect mind you....... With direct talk, power is .7 watts I think. because its digital, and a low wattage, it falls on its face when you get about a mile apart. I wonder if these kmart bubbles are better than the moto phones.....

talkpair

In the era of cell phones, it is silly and the bandwidth should be given to public safety.

If there's one good thing about unlicensed bubble-pack radios......it's that it pretty much eliminates spectrum from ever being 'taken back'

treborx

This band is more of a joke than CB, because at least in CB, everyone KNOWS it is a wasteland. In GMRS / FRS some still pretend it serves some useful purpose. In the era of cell phones, it is silly and the bandwidth should be given to public safety. .
Then what will hunters use? What will backpackers use? What will people in areas of no cell coverage use? If I asked my wife to get an amateur license she would just get angry that I have so much time for hobbies while she is busy helping the kids do homework.

nlurker

All I ever hear on both GMRS and FRS is kids playing and loud ring tones over and over.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
All I ever hear on both GMRS and FRS is kids playing and loud ring tones over and over.
That's because they don't KNOW any better. IF they read and understood the instructions, some of that might not happen ... but unfortunately much of the general public is stuck on stupid. :( 73, n9zas

gewecke

Banned
Does this mean the radio that have both the FRS and the GMRS channels, that the radio is operating on the 5w power rating when you use the GMRS only channels? Sorry to butt in.
Most are only 2 watts or less on Gmrs, with 0.5 watts permanently programmed for Frs channels. :wink: 73, n9zas

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've owned numerous MURS, FRS, and GMRS radios over the years. I had a GMRS license, but didn't renew it.

I found that FRS radios worked almost as good as GMRS radios, when both are hand-held, and no repeater involved. Now I just use FRS. No license requirement, no rules for the most part, longer battery life. Midland seem to be the best in my experience. Motorola, not so much. I'm not surprised. Motorola is just a name, they don't really have any part in manufacturing their FRS radios.

gewecke

Banned
I've owned numerous MURS, FRS, and GMRS radios over the years. I had a GMRS license, but didn't renew it.

I found that FRS radios worked almost as good as GMRS radios, when both are hand-held, and no repeater involved. Now I just use FRS. No license requirement, no rules for the most part, longer battery life. Midland seem to be the best in my experience. Motorola, not so much. I'm not surprised. Motorola is just a name, they don't really have any part in manufacturing their FRS radios.
The older moto Gmrs/Frs were assembled in Schaumburg, Il. at one point, then later in Malaysia. My T7200 & T7400 both were made in Malaysia, and far better than the crap they market now. :wink: 73, n9zas

KD8DVR

The kids and parents don't read the manuals where it indicates the licensing requirements. Or they don't care.

Sent from my SC-777 using Tapatalk

KD8DVR

I got my gmrs license back after the fee reduction. Mostly still use my trisquare 900 MHz radios on vacation. Range equivalent to FRS.

For point to point simplex, I agree with you. 500 mW FRS is as effective as gmrs. Power has little bearing. It's the physical obstructions and such.

Sent from my SC-777 using Tapatalk

Dave2582

Curr: Hudson, NH Lived: Tewksbury/Billerica MA
FRS channel, or hybrid channel?

My company just bought several motorola walkies for a decent size call center that I work in. I am tasked to set them up. The radios are for emergency use for evacs when it happens. The operators that will use them don't have a license for gmrs. Would I be correct to set the radios up in the frs channels, or would it be okay to use any of the hybrid channels other than ch 1?

ecps92

channels names can vary by make/model of the radio
Best to reference these by Freq

Anything that ends in 5500, 5750, 6250, 6500, 6750, 7000, and 7250 would be NO GO as those are GMRS

Not sure what a hybrid channel is as GMRS is one power limit and FRS has it's own Power limit

My company just bought several motorola walkies for a decent size call center that I work in. I am tasked to set them up. The radios are for emergency use for evacs when it happens. The operators that will use them don't have a license for gmrs. Would I be correct to set the radios up in the frs channels, or would it be okay to use any of the hybrid channels other than ch 1?

nd5y

Hybrid channels are the shared GMRS/FRS 462 MHz splinter channels. Usually channels 1-7 in most radios.

If he has common 22 channel dual service radios and wants to uses them on the unlicensed FRS-only channels he should use channels 8-14. Those are the 467 MHz FRS-only splinter channels and should be hardware restricted to narrowband and 0.5 watt output.

Last edited:

ecps92

Thanks first I've heard them referenced as hybrid.
Hybrid channels are the shared GMRS/FRS 462 MHz splinter channels. Usually channels 1-7 in most radios.

If he has common 22 channel dual service radios and wants to uses them on the unlicensed FRS-only channels he should use channels 8-14. Those are the 467 MHz FRS-only splinter channels and should be hardware restricted to narrowband and 0.5 watt output.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
On 22-channel radios, channels 1-7 and 15-22 all operate under GMRS rules (i.e. an explicit license is legally required). 8-14 operate under FRS rules.

Even though 1-7 can be either FRS or GMRS, since the radio transmits at a power level > 0.5W, it makes them GMRS.

We've petitioned the FCC to make some changes to the rules to make:

1) All channels operate under the same technical standards with maximum 2W ERP for all 22 and same bandwidth for all 22.
2) All channels license-by-rule (i.e. "if you follow the rules, you have a license", which is how FRS, CB, and MURS licensing works).
3) Redefine all 22 channels as FRS (with the above rules).

I've visited the FCC twice for this matter. Both times, they were very receptive. However, this rulemaking has been in process for most of this decade. They estimated some action this Summer (but today is the first day of Autumn, and I've still seen nothing).

Status
Not open for further replies.