• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS with (foreign) HAM callsign, legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsinga

Hi all!

I'm a dutch HAM radio operator and coming to the US next summer. Since I have a CEPT/HAREC Full license I am equivalent to a US Extra licensee. I can also use FRS radio's, since they don;t require a license.

But: can I use GMRS without obtaining a US license? Will this be covered by my european CEPT license? If not, I will not bother and avoid any possible problems. If yes, this would be a nice addition to the HAM repeaters.

ecps92

As an Amateur you can use Amateur Frequencies only, GMRS is not covered, even under a US Amateur license.

Hi all!

I'm a dutch HAM radio operator and coming to the US next summer. Since I have a CEPT/HAREC Full license I am equivalent to a US Extra licensee. I can also use FRS radio's, since they don;t require a license.

But: can I use GMRS without obtaining a US license? Will this be covered by my european CEPT license? If not, I will not bother and avoid any possible problems. If yes, this would be a nice addition to the HAM repeaters.

elsinga

We're going to be in the US for 4 weeks: first week in New York, then 3 weeks touring the NE of the US (NY/VA/WV/NC/DC/DE/NJ) with a rental RV.

I'll be taking my TH-F7E (EU version of the TH-F6A minus 220MHz) and a mobile rig (either the ICom IC7000 HF/2/70 or the Polmar DB50M 2/70) along.

Any tips welcome. ;)

ecps92

Well if you stray into the REAL NE (New England) try us at
New England Portal - Scan New England Wiki

We're going to be in the US for 4 weeks: first week in New York, then 3 weeks touring the NE of the US (NY/VA/WV/NC/DC/DE/NJ) with a rental RV.

I'll be taking my TH-F7E (EU version of the TH-F6A minus 220MHz) and a mobile rig (either the ICom IC7000 HF/2/70 or the Polmar DB50M 2/70) along.

Any tips welcome. ;)

elsinga

We might, but not probable. We only have 3 weeks on the road and lots of things to do and see. But I want to, so we might include it anyway. At least the western part. .;)

Won't take the scanner with me though, is illegal in NY state which we will be crossing from NY to Niagara Falls... :( But my HAM HT can scan and as a HAM I'm excempt by FCC rules. :) :)

ecps92

I maybe wrong, but I think the Ham license trumps the NY Anti-Vehicle Scanning Law.
and since your in a motorhome, the chance of it being see if minimal

I take mine regularly thru NY and into Canada w/o issue

We might, but not probable. We only have 3 weeks on the road and lots of things to do and see. But I want to, so we might include it anyway. At least the western part. .;)

Won't take the scanner with me though, is illegal in NY state which we will be crossing from NY to Niagara Falls... :( But my HAM HT can scan and as a HAM I'm excempt by FCC rules. :) :)

elsinga

AFAIK (but IANAL) the excemption is only for HAM *transceivers*, not *receivers*. So I won't take any risks and use the HT as a scanner when appropriate (mostly in Manhattan, where police/fire/ems is still analog and activity is probably high).

And the family won;t like me taking the scanner... the HT and mobile rig are the most I can do, unless I want an argument. ;)

D

DaveNF2G

ARRL says it only applies to transceivers, but they are not judges. I disagree with their interpretation, but I am not a judge, either.

If you feel uncomfortable risking a mobile scanner in NYS, then do what you feel is best.

K4BH

GMRS is a separate service from the amateur service. FRS is licensed by rule, whereas GMRS requires a license. The current cost is $85 for a 5-year license, which arrives in about 5 business days. With GMRS you can also use FRS channels 1-7 with 5 watts of power. Only immediate family members can use your GMRS license. Details on FCC web site.

N9TZO

Premium Subscriber
I have a GMRS license, but was wondering what percentage of people that buy FRS radios in the US actually get a GRMS license for the channels that are included in the radio. I bet the number unlicensed GMRS channel users has to be huge.

rapidcharger

I have a GMRS license, but was wondering what percentage of people that buy FRS radios in the US actually get a GRMS license for the channels that are included in the radio. I bet the number unlicensed GMRS channel users has to be huge.

You don't need a license to operate an FRS radio that uses the interstitial channels.
Now the FRS/GMRS radios are possibly another matter. Those are the ones that tend to have additional frequencies and/or power levels that require the GMRS license.

blastco2

You don't need a license to operate an FRS radio that uses the interstitial channels.
Now the FRS/GMRS radios are possibly another matter. Those are the ones that tend to have additional frequencies and/or power levels that require the GMRS license.

I'm guessing the percentage is in the single digits...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Darth_vader

@elsinga--

Read this:

http://forums.radioreference.com/gm...-radioreference-frs-gmrs-murs-fact-sheet.html

All your questions are answered there. (You're welcome.)

No HAM ticket, foreign or domestic, permits its holder to operate GMRS. They are seperate, unrelated services with mutually incompatible terms and procedures. HAM call letters are 100% meaningless in GMRS except if used as one's personal "handle" (nickname), given alongside one's legally-assigned GMRS call letters.

Of course, when in doubt just stick with the FRS "upper seven", MURS or CB (or a combination of the three).

Status
Not open for further replies.