GND comm is more interesting to monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan_madison

I used to enjoy listening TWR, APP, CONTROL and GND but nowadays I just monitor GND frequency. Agree?

GND is going to be aircraft on the GrouND speaking with Tower, so taxiing to takeoff runways, to gates and crossing active runways, etc.

Also handoff to Tower for clearance to take off.

It's relatively low power so can only be monitored close to the airport. It's like CB for airplanes!

LEH

Premium Subscriber
The really fun stuff is the airline air channel and their associated non air operations frequencies. Used to be most were in the 460 or so range (or the 5 MHz repeater side). Larger airports are now trunked and some using proprietary cell company run systems. :(

When I traveled a lot, I would search that band. Wound up changing gates a couple of times before it was officially announced when they had to change planes and gates for some reason or another.

When I traveled a lot, I would search that band.
Yes, I too used to travel often for work.

One time, in the 90's, a flight attendant spotted my scanner and said,
"I'm not sure what that is, but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to have it!"

Airplanes and Airports are very interesting to monitor and understand.

hfflunki

I usually listen to towers on the upper coast of lake Michigan as well as us a pi for dump1090 on adsb and occasionally do acars with multipsk

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

spanky15805

5 miles from a GrouND RTR site would be streching it. 10 watts thru an average of 12 connectors to a zero db gain antenna doesn't get you much.

jmp883

Ground can be very interesting to listen to, as long as you are close enough to the tower to hear both sides of the conversation. Approach and departure are usually pretty interesting as well, so long as you are near a busy airport. The ARTCC frequencies are usually pretty boring, most of the time it is just controllers handing off flights from one sector to the next. There are exceptions, of course. Live ATC.net, and the archives there, is a great resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.