GO Transit to go Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I've been running Unitrunker on the Metrolinx system for about a week and have not seen a single encrypted transmission.

What I have found is that most users are using the TDMA mode (Phase 2), however for the time being, most of the Train talkgroups are still using Phase 1.

GO Enforcement as well as TTR are on Phase 2. I suspect it is just a matter of getting everyone switched over, then it'll all be Phase 2.

I suspect that's why radios are showing encryption - it tunes to the voice channel and doesn't get decodable P25 traffic, so the scanner thinks it is encrypted. Dunno for sure though.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Talkgroup 5 and talkgroup 303 have been heard by myself as recently as yesterday running encryption.

Talkgroup 5 is definitely TDMA but not sure about 303.

I don't think 5 is Rail Op's though. The ID's seem to be from the group assigned to the Radio Systems Office.

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
I saw 607 pop up briefly yesterday, any idea of the user?

I noticed that Willowbrook and Security talkgroups were TDMA while sitting on the system to try and ID 607.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
A lot of the 600 series talkgroups seem to be lighting up lately. 604 was active yesterday with some talk of what time a certain train arrived. Kind of sounded like the CCC group.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
TG 303 was active today without encryption - maybe it is a selective thing?

3ewdTWT.jpg

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
According to the Wiki, XP would be an analog cross-patch for a Motorola system. For a P25 system, the P would indicate Protected.

So.... I'm not sure what you're seeing. Have you been able to listen to the audio?

Can you run Pro96Com?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I'm an idiot... Ha. I forgot the "P" means encryption. I was thinking "XP" meant "Patch". This group shows up on a Phase 2 group which my 396 can't do.

ATCTech

According to the author of Unitrunker, XP does still mean patch, whether P25 P1 or P2. That was exactly as he described it to me last night when I ask Rick specifically about "XP" with reference to a mixed P1/P2 system. I noted lots of XP through the weekend when the bus T/G patches were in place, today they're all dropped and all the calls are SVC "4" again.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm pretty sure Unitrunker does not handle encrypted tdma calls properly.

Talkgroup 5 has been active most of the day with nothing but encrypted traffic.

I'll see if I can arrange to bring a scanner with me tomorrow that Pro96Com works on to verify what I'm seeing and what Unitrunker is not seeing.

ATCTech

Could be, I was only paying attention to the usual rail and bus groups. The old BCD396 here wanted no part of either, nor did DSD+ which was always good with Metrolinx P1 talk groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.