Goin to the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffer

Goin to the States, might use some help

Hi, I'm going to the States on Friday, and am considering picking up a RS base digital scanner. Should I?? Does anyone have any info into this, or should I look at mobile? The price seems right,at 449US, and with the exchange this diesent seem to be that bad of a deal. What should I do, if I decide to get this when I get to the border? I've never brought something of this value, or type accross before. Any input would be greatly appreciated before the trip...thanks:)

Last edited:

seamusg

duffer said:
Hi, I'm going to the States on Friday, and am considering picking up a RS base digital scanner. Should I?? Does anyone have any info into this, or should I look at mobile? The price seems right,at 449US, and with the exchange this diesent seem to be that bad of a deal. What should I do, if I decide to get this when I get to the border? I've never brought something of this value, or type accross before. Any input would be greatly appreciated before the trip...thanks:)
If your talking about the PRO2096 - it's a good radio - unless you want a portable. The only real difference is if you want to carry it around with you. I would suggest getting the programming cable with it. As far as going across the boarder with it - it's you're money. I myself would declare it.

xml

If you declare (which you should), two things will happen:

1. "Please pull up to the left, your friendly CCRA agent would be pleased to assist you." You'll be dinged with GST/PST on the item.

2. "No tobacco, firearms, or alcohol then? Have a good day."

As for buying in the US... dollar is great, sales taxes are lower... why not?

woody_46

xml said:

1. "Please pull up to the left, your friendly CCRA agent would be pleased to assist you." You'll be dinged with GST/PST on the item.

Yep, that's your options. I got mine on sale in Detroit. Declared it. I got a "have a good day".

inextremis

xml said:

Just my 2 cents, item 1 depend on how much time you'll be in the States.

If you are just a couple of hour yes it can be GST/PST and a hefty custom surcharge (big $$$) because you are not authorized to come back with anything within 24 hours.

If you are more than 48 hours in the states you can bring $700 (can be more now) of goods (not including alcool and tobaco) per person in the car.

Personaly I've bought a lot of pricey things in the States and I never ever been asked to pay GST and/or PST when I'm coming back at the custom.

My first and only rule; always declare everything, because if you got a blue slip and you didn't declared *everything* now the GST & PST will look pale in comparison to the fine that you'll have to pay.

xml

Good point.

This is on the basis that you're just zipping over for a couple hours. I've never been dinged at the border, but some of my co-workers have while bringing over any sort of gear...

All these factors are dependent on how lazy your customs official is... :p

duffer

Tanks for all of the input guys, and or gals. I just got back tonignt, and I must say, the cross into the US was much worse than the trip back. The US customs guy must have been hungover or something. He grilled us big time, even with a day trip to Darien Lake. I was so screwed up driving down there, I couldnt even find a RS. But. on the lighter side, I did tell the Canadian Guard that we bought stuff, and she didn't give a crap. Could this be an omen of things to come?

mciupa

Database Admin
duffer said:
I was so screwed up driving down there, I couldnt even find a RS. But. on the lighter side, I did tell the Canadian Guard that we bought stuff, and she didn't give a crap. Could this be an omen of things to come?

I just got back from Buffalo on Thursday , after a three day stay. Only one RS down there had a 2096 in stock.(Boulevard Mall - on Niagara Falls Blvd) , but because it was $449, I didn't bite. They will offer them for $399 at certain times of the year , and if you are lucky enough to locate a closing store with one in stock, they will "clear" it out at $299 :eek: !

Going in to the US on Tuesday morning was a fifty minute wait at Queenston/Lewiston and the young lady at the US Border Patrol "sounded" as if she was ex-military , not a very pleasant experience. On the return trip it was less than two minutes to cross the Canadian border , with answering our citizenship , the length of time away , value of goods purchased and if we had tobacco or alcohol. We try and make sure we are out at least 48 hours. I also think they give a "family" less hassle than a couple of guys heading down for a road trip (IMO)

Last edited:

duffer

Tanks for all the help ppl, and by the way, each time I do travel over the border, the whole family will be with me. Not just to ease the burden at the border, but to vaccuum the wallet dry:) Have a great day!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.