Going Crazy in Phoenix - Sentinel and 436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

davephx

Premium Subscriber
Going Crazy in Phoenix - Sentinel and 436HP

In theory I am not this dumb but after many long hours I am frustrated trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I have a CPA background (seems easier to read the tax code than these manuals!). Built rigs long ago, was Navy MARS in Vietnam days - am WA0JKT - but not active for years. Was also in the police reserves (communications) many decades ago in Minneapolis suburb.

I got 436 about a year ago but never got it to work right. Last 2 nights PD helicopters near and about 0.5 miles away 10 police cars but was unable to locate any transmissions using close call or Phoenix PD on favorites. I was only getting radio stations from CC until figured out how to omit band after hitting avoid a lot.

The manuals (I've read EASIER and the Sentinel manual). They seem to be about understanding system but seem not to be about how to USE them. I've also reviewed many YouTube videos especially setting up favorites and seem to be doing it correctly.

I have the "nothing to scan" problem.... when selecting a FL that seems to be set up correctly (more below).

I have also read the Wiki on "nothing to scan" problem. On the 436 I assume L/O is same as "avoid" which isn't on anywhere I can see and did the "stop all avoids" function I found.

For Phoenix AZ Area FL have:
USA/Arizona/Maricopa/Regional Wireless Cooperate (RWC) with P25 System type.
then Departments:
Phoenix fire and all the Phoenix Police precincts (100-900 and C Deck)
Deleted all the rest since only interested in Phx PD and Fire.
No avoids.
Then has about 2 channels under each precinct (Dispatch A/B) and C Deck has 8 hot channels (200-900).

I write to scanner. Was confused about if your writing to scanner if use the Erase Favorites List on Scanner...would think if your writing the new it would overwrite the old. Last save did check the Erase Favs. box.

It writes to the scanner and shows up under "Select Lists to Monitor" I turn on "Phoenix AZ Area" loads and says "Scan Mode Nothing to Scan" uuuuurrrg

If I turn on National List and deselect all but public service. It scans all the US Govt and other stuff I have not selected and will if I listen long enough pick up Phoenix PD. But takes too long to scan zillions of entries I don't want which I have unselected in "Set Nationwide Systems"

To test the Sentinel further I set up another FL "Phoenix Fire and all helicopters" Using System Name Maricopa (from main database), Maricopa County - Phoenix listing all the 15 Fire channels and "All Valley Helicopters" (freq 123.025 AM.)

This FL seems to scan fine for fire, but not the FL for RWC list where Phoenix PD is listed.
Screenshot attached

Any clues would be appreciated.
Frustrated in Phoenix

Attachments

• Sentinel screenshot.pdf
    359.2 KB · Views: 188

phask

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you have deleted all the sites.

In Sentinel - starting with Far North Mountain High and everything below - those are the transmitters.

Need at least 1 or determine which one(s) work best for you.

rwier

Premium Subscriber
" ... Any clues would be appreciated. Frustrated in Phoenix .... "

I don't know if HPE Files can transfer from HP-1s to 436HPs, but since it only took about three minutes, I have attached a Zipped HPE File of a FL that might fit your situation.

Attachments

• Phoenix PD & FD (Via RR).zip
    8.3 KB · Views: 67

davephx

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Will work on the various clues that I might have deleted too much and look at the sample HPE file.

Thanks

davephx

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if HPE Files can transfer from HP-1s to 436HPs, but since it only took about three minutes, I have attached a Zipped HPE File of a FL that might fit your situation.

The HPE file you attached WORKED!

I think I see what I did wrong.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.