going digital in Wichita

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbrush

Sedgwick County/Wichita, Kansas is going digital the first two weeks in January.
Are the freq's and talk groups known so I can buy a new scanner for this system?

N8IAA

Sedgwick County/Wichita, Kansas is going digital the first two weeks in January.
Are the freq's and talk groups known so I can buy a new scanner for this system?

Well, since you don't state what scanner you have, we can't answer your question.
Larry

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
His original question was "What scanner do I need?" Which I think we can answer.

To monitor that system, you will need a digital scanner. Among the current Uniden models that would work are the BCD396XT, BCD996XT, and HomePatrol-1. The two new models, BCD436HP and BCD636HP would also work, but the Phase 2 capabilities of those models are not required.

bbrush

digital in Wichita

from what I can determine, the freq's are established,but the talk groups are not established yet.
Would it be best and wait to all depts are up and running before buying any scanner?

bigcam406

no,you can buy one and use the TG ID search to find out what is what.thats part of the fun.either way,if you want to listen now or later,you are going to need one.

phask

Premium Subscriber

ks_scan

Premium Subscriber
Phask, that is the old SmartNet II system, not the new P25 system.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
from what I can determine, the freq's are established,but the talk groups are not established yet.
Would it be best and wait to all depts are up and running before buying any scanner?

The system type and band are the only factors in choosing a scanner, talk groups are irrelevant. It is listed as a simulcast system which the current scanners can have trouble with. I suggest one of the new models or wait to see how they perform on simulcast systems.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
bbrush, I've merged your two threads in the Uniden forum and the thread in the Kansas forum into one thread in the Kansas forum since they all are basically asking the same question.

SCPD

QRT
The system type and band are the only factors in choosing a scanner, talk groups are irrelevant. It is listed as a simulcast system which the current scanners can have trouble with. I suggest one of the new models or wait to see how they perform on simulcast systems.

You hit the nail right on the head! Uniden can build scanners with all the bells and whistles but if it can't properly decode simulcast systems then what the hell is the point?. I would be more than happy to give up GPS, audio recording, WiFI just for a scanner to handle a simulcast system. Maybe the new Uniden scanners take care of it, but we will not know for sure until they are out in the wild on various systems,

bear780ks

bb back in the Day when Sedgwick, Co's current system was running and New Trunk scanners were emerging you could listen but as for entering Alpha Tags it didn't happen as the technology wasn't Quite there so following the system could give ya a Headache really Quick,, Well spring forward o couple years,, what was difficult you could tag as you do you now but as Trunk systems changed so did the scanner even more..

But what hasn't changed is figuring out when you see that number who it belongs too, the best way I learned was with time and if some one Locally would have a List of Tags or maybe a new tag list I would get them from them one Good source that had them Was Howard's Electronics I bought my CB's and one of my Scanners from Jerry and he knew some of the sheriff officers and PD officers.. or at least that is what he told me and how he acquired some of Tags.. It was hard to see Jerry close as he Installed allot of CB's in his Time and he had a Good deal of stuff that he sold out of that Little shop...

But back to asking your Question there are some Good sources out there locally and on here that in next Few months as we go Along well all get a better grip on who and what the ID's belong to.. As was mentioned the 396 and the 996 can pick up the system fine My two scanners are doing it when I can pick up the signal, As for setting up my scanners I did it manually I went in on my 396's menu found were to set a New system I set it with 4 Frequencies 2 of them are main Control channels with 2 alternates..

You can find the Frequencies I interred in my scanners in the in the Kansas Forums or I can add them here.. Bear

Last edited:

rkm6460

We have the RS Pro-164, which has worked great. Are we dead in the water with the transition to digital?

ks_scan

Premium Subscriber
RKM, yes you have a paperweight now. The 164 will not track the digital systems.

rkm6460

Doing some research, and the Uniden Home Patrol-1 looks intriguing. An article I found, however, noted that it has some issues and depending on the area may not pick up a thing...something to do with TDMA or encryption? I would hate to drop $500 on a scanner to still end up with a brick...already got one. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Last edited:

shocker81

I have the Pro 106 and the matching base unit and I am listening to the Sedgwick County digital everyday. It is what it is. It sounds and acts just like the KSICS does but we will just have to accept it for what it is. It is not bad but it does have its moments just like the state has.

F

frog760

HP-1 & Digital

Doing some research, and the Uniden Home Patrol-1 looks intriguing. An article I found, however, noted that it has some issues and depending on the area may not pick up a thing...something to do with TDMA or encryption? I would hate to drop $500 on a scanner to still end up with a brick...already got one. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I have an HP-1 and have been listening to analog and digital without any issues. I'm south end of county and no problems with simulcast. Digital sometimes does sound like it's underwater. I've ordered the BCD536HP and don't expect it to be any better. The HP-1 is great, but don't like that you have to pay another $100 for the "good stuff." I love that it's base and portable--wish the new 436 had internet and could be charged while powered on.

palmerlake

I have the Pro 106 and the matching base unit and I am listening to the Sedgwick County digital everyday. It is what it is. It sounds and acts just like the KSICS does but we will just have to accept it for what it is. It is not bad but it does have its moments just like the state has.

I have a Pro 96 , I can listen to the old analog and new digtal system ,but it cannot find the talkgroups for the new digital ,what di I need to do? palmerlake

Status
Not open for further replies.